3.2 Starting Problems

8 hours ago, SilverWT said:

3.2 does not have an accumulator.

The primary purpose of the regulator on a 3.2 is to keep the pressure within spec when the pump is running 

Mark

Oops should have noticed it’s a 3.2......

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, WNX700H said:

Ok been doing some further investigations,

-  decided not to change any of the electronics until I was sure of any cause. 

- On the basis that once it starts it ran and drove OK albeit with some idle issues I decided to look for vac leaks so stripped the inlets off and all breathers to do a detail inspection.  The car is 30 years old but only covered 52k miles but still all the rubber bits are getting on.  Changed the stepped pipe by the oil filter , both large breathers running across the back of the engine various other rubber bits , breather gasket at the back of the engine as I was in there anyway.  Connection to the brake vac circuit looked suspect so renewed that.  The car now runs much better and no erratic idle and now starts from cold without problems.

- The hot start issue remains though, if you leave the vehicle to stand,  the engine will crank over merrily but it is reluctant to fire,  eventually does fire but then cuts out , if you crank again it starts and then cuts out .... on the third or fourth attempt to start it, it then runs rough and then settles down and is fine. 

- So my conclusion is its fuel pressure on the basis it starts cold ok so no fuel vaporisation issues but when hot the accumulator should retain the fuel under pressure and avoiding fuel vaporisation.  So think either pressure regulator or pump is suspect although once running the car is fine so suspect pressure regulation is the more likely cause.

Anyone have any views on this?

To be honest , we can all have thoughts as to possible causes,without a method to diagnose, its just speculation.

Would check all the basics first,as you would do in routine service.The design of the injection system is based on constant fuel pressure, controlled by the regulator .

The fuel pressure dampers, on the drivers side, have a diaphragm , which  can leak internally , causing  fuel loss. Again this is speculation, there is a detailed quick fuel pressure test for both of the regulator and damper.

From description, chances are is much more likely to be vacuum ,gummed up idle control valve, or HT electrical.

Start with the simple things and work backwards.

• 2 months later...

Does an 88 car use a Fuel Injection Distributor, like the CIS system in my 74? If so, change the rubber o-ring in the Fuel Pressure valve. This fixed a similar issue I had with hot starting. Wish I’d looked here first as it was cheap to fix and would of avoided the cost of all the other expensive components I replaced whilst chasing the fault.

Does an 88 car use a Fuel Injection Distributor, like the CIS system in my 74? If so, change the rubber o-ring in the Fuel Pressure valve. This fixed a similar issue I had with hot starting. Wish I’d looked here first as it was cheap to fix and would of avoided the cost of all the other expensive components I replaced whilst chasing the fault.

In fact my o-ring had rotted away completely.

• 1 month later...

We’re currently on holiday in Devon in my 3.2, it’s very warm weather and my 3.2 is getting to be a pain to hot start. Not sure there’s much I can check or do, but any suggestions would be appreciated. At the moment I have to grin and try again, at least I have a new battery.

I’m suspicious of the immobiliser, normally there is a kind of ‘thunk’ when you reset to start, but I’ve noticed a few times this not happening, followed by a no start situation.

• johndglynn changed the title to 3.2 Starting Problems