New forum theme with more updates to follow! Please see the main thread in Impact Bumping.

carrpet

930 clutch pedal sticking & clutch slippage

Hi there,

I could do with some help in diagnosing a clutch problem which I have been living with for years. It is possible that there is / are a combination of factors.

The clutch is G50 hydraulic on a 1989 930 convertible which has done 39k miles with less than 1000 miles per year in recent years. I have owned the car since 1998 and 22k miles.

The clutch pedal sticks down (about 50% of travel) occasionally and can normally be retrieved by hooking my toe under the clutch pedal. This situation has normally occurred in the past when the engine is hot, on hot days. The clutch also tends to slip under hard acceleration in 3rd gear when the engine is warmed up. Ease off the throttle and the revs immediately drop back to normal.

This morning after having the car standing over the winter in my garage the pedal stuck half way down with a cold engine and the clutch was slipping badly in 1st gear. This is the first time I have experienced this. I was able to pull the clutch pedal back to normal position by hand then the clutch operated normally in 1st gear while manoeuvring the car into and out of the garage. Whilst there was a clear connection between the pedal sticking down and the clutch slipping this morning I have never been able to absolutely verify this while driving before. This may be a red herring as the slippage was far more extreme than anything I have experienced before ?

I removed the wooden pedal assembly cover this morning and looked for issues - binding, roller pin breakage, spring breakage, leakage of hydraulic fluid etc. Nothing visible.

I planned to replace the clutch and pressure plate this summer but this mornings experience makes me want to get to the bottom of the pedal sticking issue before the engine drop.

The clutch master cylinder and slave are relatively cheap to replace so replacing the hydraulic moving parts is an option.

Before I continued I thought I would float this and see if anyone has experienced anything similar to help me with my diagnostic ?

Any thoughts are welcome

Peter

When was the clutch last bled?

For me the first step would be to bleed the clutch. I would also remove the slave cylinder without disconnecting the hydraulics and bleed the slave with the bleed nipple upper most.

Thanks Chris. How easy is it to get at and drop the slave cylinder out of the gearbox ?

No knowledge of when clutch was last bled.

Caveat - I don’t know the specifics of the 930 G50, but am assuming that it’s very similar to other G50s.

The clutch slave is on top of the gearbox. You can get to it without a partial drop but it is definitely easier if you partially drop the gearbox. There are two nuts securing the slave on studs attached to the gear box. Remove those and release the clutch hydraulic hose from the securing clips on the side of the gearbox.

You can then bleed the clutch. Personally I would recommend a pressure bleeder. Remember to close off the overfill hose from the fluid reservoir in the front bonnet.

Thanks Chris, good input, based on the parts drawing this looks the same.

Sounds to me more like a master cylinder/ clutch pedal issue.

Thanks. One option is to replace all of the hydraulic moving parts (the two cylinders) as a start point and bleed the system before starting the engine drop. !