Bought a 997 Carrera S

Drinky

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Roy, haven’t been looking on car and classic, not sure on that one but https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1104013 I know it’s a gen 1 but looks good value compared to others, thinking of viewing this one, but miles away as usual, in Sidcup https://www.beckevans.co.uk/used-porsche-911-mk-997-sidcup-kent-1887268

Love the red! Not sure if it's worth mentioning but I recently bought a 2005 Boxster S. Internet talk is all IMS issues but I had long discussions with two dealers where I had just missed a car they had for sale so theoretically nothing to gain. Both told me they had never seen an IMS issue on a car after the late 90's and actually didn't know of anyone who had a failure after that time! Passing this on at face value!

Had a 997.1 Turbo 6 speed. Quick car but hated the awd, it lasted around 6 months before I moved on. 

Id look into a GTS, great car and should retain value well.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:45 PM, Roy M said:

Love the red! Not sure if it's worth mentioning but I recently bought a 2005 Boxster S. Internet talk is all IMS issues but I had long discussions with two dealers where I had just missed a car they had for sale so theoretically nothing to gain. Both told me they had never seen an IMS issue on a car after the late 90's and actually didn't know of anyone who had a failure after that time! Passing this on at face value!

Post and including MY2006, IMS is much less of an issue.  Its bore scoring which is a designed in issue related to the cooling system that is more systemic (read the Hartech stuff to understand it).  But, you can mitigate the bore scoring risk once you understand the nature of the hot spots that cause it - low temp stat, best oil possible changed yearly and heavier weight, maybe Evans waterless coolant swap and driving style from rest.  Hartech mentions most of that.  What you can't do is change the past owner's behaviour/maintenance.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:41 AM, 786 said:

Had a 997.1 Turbo 6 speed. Quick car but hated the awd, it lasted around 6 months before I moved on. 

Id look into a GTS, great car and should retain value well.

IIRC, the 7TT 4wd system changed from the 6TT (?).  The 6TT is a very basic system and I loved it - 99% RWD until the rear slipped about 15% off line and then the fronts pulled you back to straight with just a hint of oppo needed, really just an early unwind of lock.  Made you feel very skilled indeed, though you need a bit of space and good sight lines.  This isn't the first time I have read comments on 7TT 4wd not being universally liked.  Is it an electronically controlled and faster acting centre diff vs a viscous coupling?

The one 996/997 that keeps catching my eye over the last couple of years is the 6C4S.  Needs a couple of choice mods and all the reliability tweaks aimed at reducing bore score risk, but they look great, have reached bottom pricing and the journos love them above move other non-GT models.

You could save yourself 20-30K and buy a gen 2 997S. Take it to Carnewal and get a GT exhaust and 200 cell cat exhaust system fitted. 400bhp plus and not far off the same spec if you pick one with a lot of options ticked. 

1 minute ago, Busybee said:

You could save yourself 20-30K and buy a gen 2 997S. Take it to Carnewal and get a GT exhaust and 200 cell cat exhaust system fitted. 400bhp plus and not far off the same spec if you pick one with a lot of options ticked. 

👍

4 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

IIRC, the 7TT 4wd system changed from the 6TT (?).  The 6TT is a very basic system and I loved it - 99% RWD until the rear slipped about 15% off line and then the fronts pulled you back to straight with just a hint of oppo needed, really just an early unwind of lock.  Made you feel very skilled indeed, though you need a bit of space and good sight lines.  This isn't the first time I have read comments on 7TT 4wd not being universally liked.  Is it an electronically controlled and faster acting centre diff vs a viscous coupling?

Yes it did, 996TT was mechanical AWD so easily converted to RWD with GT2 stub axles. 997TT had electronic AWD so near impossible to remove unless you spent big money. A real GT2 would make more sense at that point. The reason to want to remove the AWD is 997TT electronic AWD system would constantly shunt power around so as you got on the gas you would feel hesitation and thumps as the power was doled out and moved around the chassis. Very odd sensation and not confidence inspiring at all. The car did not feel RWD enough for my taste and the system just felt poorly designed I'm afraid. The way you described the 996TT AWD system sounds ideal, if the 997TT system were similar I would have kept the car and built a poor man's GT2. You can easily do that with the 996TT btw, just buy the aforementioned stub axles, and uprights/suspension. 

44 minutes ago, 786 said:

Yes it did, 996TT was mechanical AWD so easily converted to RWD with GT2 stub axles. 997TT had electronic AWD so near impossible to remove unless you spent big money. A real GT2 would make more sense at that point. The reason to want to remove the AWD is 997TT electronic AWD system would constantly shunt power around so as you got on the gas you would feel hesitation and thumps as the power was doled out and moved around the chassis. Very odd sensation and not confidence inspiring at all. The car did not feel RWD enough for my taste and the system just felt poorly designed I'm afraid. The way you described the 996TT AWD system sounds ideal, if the 997TT system were similar I would have kept the car and built a poor man's GT2. You can easily do that with the 996TT btw, just buy the aforementioned stub axles, and uprights/suspension. 

Thanks.  Rings a bell from our previous posts!

Yup. It was a shame too as the 997TT was a beautiful car and got compliments everywhere. It was also quite quick in a straight line. As a highway car not much could touch it. If I could find a local shop which could convert it to RWD affordably I'd buy another. The power was great, and I have a friend with one w/ upgraded turbos. It's a monster.

Back to the original question though, I'd scour around for a 997 GTS, I think that's the best all-rounder in the range. 

thanks for all the advice guys, I have put in, what i thought was a fair offer on the gen 2 997 in Sidcup, but they have rejected it for now. Love the GTS but thats taking me over budget

Well I’ve only gone and done it! Stuart/VT I hope you approve, hopefully picking her up tomorrow 

Thanks for all the advice chaps

Drinky 

A82088F8-43E5-4531-8B9B-27F9E0796E8C.jpeg

946EFCC0-D00E-4CCC-833A-449F4B7704B3.jpeg

38BA78AD-DA0F-4958-8FAD-57BF2DA4A43B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Vincent said:

Loverly, well done, looking like a Liverpool win tonight ?

Judging by the colour

Beauty congrats!

And you better believe Pool won it, best in the world now!! 😬😁😁

Edited by 786

2 hours ago, ALEX P said:

Very nice Drinky.

Look forward to hearing about your first impressions.

Thanks guys

Alex, on the test drive with sport plus and exhausts buttons on in the twisties, there was a horrible noise coming from the near side seat area 😀

Not going to be able to get many miles until a week on Wednesday , when I set off for Le Mans :whistling:

Nice job Drinky and in the fastest colour too. Great choice.

Took the cab and Mrs VT to the east coast today (Adnams make a mean orange and sea buckthorn gin 😉) Some fantastic B roads, which were just too tempting to say no to. :steering:One issue with the cab....no grab handles for the pax! 😂 

Now get out and enjoy it, but don’t look at the mpg!

VT

Great choice.

Best thing to do is pick some good roads, fill it up, jump in and drive til you've emptied the tank. The more you drive them (like air cooled's) the better your feel for the car.

Don't forget to put your car details on your profile on the club website - then I can keep you up to date on whats on.

Enjoy!

31 minutes ago, strosek34 said:

Great looking car, in the best colour as well.

^^^ +1.  Awesome car by the look of it.  I don't get the hype over the GTS - its not a GT-anything.

Enjoy the summer in it and get some miles under the belt.