Brake fluid testing

Ian Comerford

Well then. I succumbed to peer pressure and changed my brake fluid this morning.

Used an Eesibleed thing. No bubbles, no change in colour of the fluid and after a test drive, no change in the operation or feel of the pedal <_<

However, at least everyone can rest easy that my brakes work properly. But! based on conventional wisdom I have increased my brake fluid maintenance schedule...........I've pencilled it in for sometime in 2024.......it will give me something to do when I've retired :lol:

• 1 month later...

I have always been in the "change every 2 years," camp although with the Abarth, the dealer usually tests and is happy for it to run to 3 (it's garaged and 3 years is c7,000 miles at current run rate)...although, taking Jevvy's point on fluid not circulating (hadn't thought of...but agree entirely), I'll be moving this to 2 years too.

I have only ever once driven a car in which the fluid boiled (a friend's Integrale with Tarox 6 pots).  The experience was terrifying enough (didn't hit anything but v anxious not to repeat) that 2 years seems wise.  Brake fluid is hardly expensive, too.