8 years later!

hagarep

I took a job where I spend 75% of my time abroad and i bought a pair of front wings from Andy Perks when The Ark went widebody.Last week was the first time the car started since 2011. As I now believe I can have it back on the road this year, I thought I would let you know that I haven't gone for good and show/list what the car has gone through between now and then. Let me first explain that I still need to fit the front wings, bumper and valance. Service the engine, fit the interior, get thte geometry done at Caentre Gravity and make a Rennline style battery clamp with cut out. It's amazing how the effect of hearing it running again has made me realise what i have been missing, so several further jobs will now have to wait until winter. More on that later

Jason

Welcome back fella, pleased to hear you still have the car and hearing it fire up has fired you up too.

Not much changed round here, Oil thread > Tyres thread > Car wont start thread > Zingy thread > Repeat 2 x per year :)

Then I remembered the bumper mounts were rusty, so off to Sportwagen and might as well do the sill and bowls while we're there. Turns out they didn't need doing but we fitted late targa bowls for extra stiffness anyway :blush:

DSCF4024.JPG

Front inner wing, by oil pipe clip and rear anti roll bar mount also needed attention, this time by my less skilled hands. Note cracks on anti roll bar mount. Need to change these for billet ones later.

Jevvy, Simon - Thanks. I've missed coming on here and am looking forward to getting out fro soem meets and events, probably next year.

WP_20160309_00_19_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20160309_23_57_28_Pro.jpg

So, the car is up on axle stands...refresh tired suspension, plate and coat as necessary. Poly bushed throughout, uprate T bars, rebuild rack with turbo tie rods and bump steer kit. New wheel bearings and rebuild driveshafts with new CV's. Paint shocks for now.

DSCF1710.JPG

image1.JPG

DSCF1711.JPG

2 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Whatever you do don’t throw away your old cv boots if they are still serviceable.  The new ones don’t last as long

Wise words.  My new ones lasted less than 5 miles. 

12 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Whatever you do don’t throw away your old cv boots if they are still serviceable.  The new ones don’t last as long

Oops, long gone now. Replacements came from Matt at Type 911, so I shall keep my fingers crossed. Anyway, it needs to drive on the road for this to be an issue!

Thanks Beaky

So, original non-servo brakes  were rubbish on track. Simple solution: buy a set of horrible condition 944 turbo calipers, strip, sand blast, replace seals, guide plates, hardware, bleed nipples and link pipes. Buy bench top milling machine, cut off original mounts and fabricate new ones. Clean up calliper throats to accept 930 rotors, buy new rotors including floating centres for the fronts. Replace all hard lines. Add Pagid Pads, race fluid and a proper pressure bleeder. Forget vent pipe in reservoir, clean up fluid and bleed system.

That represents more than a year of evening and weekend work. Cost double what i had expected and led to replacing wheels with 944 turbo Fuchs and the spare with a 996 16" one.991F0EB7-650C-49AC-9919-39720DE5A1CD_zps

1 hour ago, hagarep said:

So, original non-servo brakes  were rubbish on track. Simple solution: buy a set of horrible condition 944 turbo calipers, strip, sand blast, replace seals, guide plates, hardware, bleed nipples and link pipes. Buy bench top milling machine, cut off original mounts and fabricate new ones. Clean up calliper throats to accept 930 rotors, buy new rotors including floating centres for the fronts. Replace all hard lines. Add Pagid Pads, race fluid and a proper pressure bleeder. Forget vent pipe in reservoir, clean up fluid and bleed system.

That represents more than a year of evening and weekend work. Cost double what i had expected and led to replacing wheels with 944 turbo Fuchs and the spare with a 996 16" one.991F0EB7-650C-49AC-9919-39720DE5A1CD_zps

Welcome back!

I know it's been a while but looks like it's coming along nicely. I love the brake project - I've had a set of 964/944T calipers sitting in my garage doing nothing for years hoping to do exactly the same as you so may tap you up for some dimensions and disc info.

Keep the updates coming.

Thanks Alex. I have the drawings and dimensions written down somewhere.

Wings off, so a good time to upgrade the oil cooler to a 3.2 one with electric fan from Merlin motorsport, as my car always ran hot, following instructions from David (Flatsix777) on here. Sounds simple but one hardline was crushed, so in removing everything i managed to break one oil line and the thermostat :(

IMG_3644.JPG

• 5 months later...

Boot area more or less finished. New tank, Varley red top and home made bracket, 996 space saver to clear 951 callipers, RS strut brace and Classic Retrofit fuse board. Tool kit getting re-plated this week.

IMG_0165.JPG

New headliner, Sunroof needs final fitting. Rear window out for about the 10th time. This time to correct wiring for the heated screen, usually it's because the trim has popped out again.

IMG_0168.JPG

Interior partially refitted. Since this photo all carpets and seats have been washed thanks to a Rug Doctor hired from Morrisons. Just the front seats to bolt in now, but i want a final tidy under the dash first.

IMG_0167.JPG

All body work refitted: Early wings without side repeaters (from the Ark) painted bumper, valence, side panels, new sill covers and rubbers, new door handles, 951 wheels.

Need to finish interior and roughly set ride height and geometry so it will make it 1/4 mile to the petrol station. Then it will be ready to trailer to a garage for a full geometry set up.

And at some point, it needs to be cleaned.

IMG_0166.JPG

Agreed. In fact your experience is why i have fitted a battery cut out, with a cable from my old fog light switch position.

Not sure what is the best hand held I can fit there though. Maybe a FEV 2.5kg gas one from Rally Design?

I thought the general consensus was don't bother. If it's going to go then it's going to go. Just call 999 and hope they arrive in time to save it. If they don't, it's toast.

Good to see more progress on the car. I still want your brakes!! 

• 4 weeks later...