Dripping Sump plug after oil change

Mobydick

1 hour ago, Nige said:

Don't think I've ever torqued a sump plug up before.  Always a new washer(s) if to hand, but even without I've never noticed leaking plugs.

Me neither: nip 'em up by hand with a spanner - with the old Saabs it tends to be if the car has gone to one of those JiffyLube places and the plug has been overtightened and cracked the case....:blink:

33 minutes ago, ras62 said:

Ivan. Hand tight meaning done using a spanner/wrench. I thought you meant done only by hand i.e 2 Nm....

You need to eat some more spinach buddy, I can manage at least 2.005 NM by hand :)

Viton is used to make the o-rings that seal the crankcase through bolts so you'd hope its ok temp wise. That said, i agree with Ras, those quick drain things look a bit Plumb Centre to me!

To be honest, I reckon even if you fitted one of the "special" drain plugs, you'd be tempted to take it out during an oil change to make sure as much oil drained as possible. The thread on the 3.0sc points upward so the extra thread for the plug would be proud in the sump. A little puddle of dirty oil sat around it in the sump. I couldn't take it! 

7 minutes ago, Busybee said:

A little puddle of dirty oil sat around it in the sump. I couldn't take it! 

Your OCD playing up again, BB?

1 hour ago, Dr Rock said:

Your OCD playing up again, BB?

Freak me out that Doc. A puddle of dirty oil. Eeeek. I'm even thinking Elephant "ribbed for your pleasure" oil lines just cause they have a bleed valve. 

Talking of oil lines, anyone successfully made their own from 22mm copper? 

3 hours ago, proporsche said:

angus nope..this is the official book...t.specifications ..but like i said 70 is way to much and no need to use torque wrench, ever;-)

aadrain plug specs.jpg

Indeed. 70Nm has always struck me as excessive so I've generally copied the oil tank drain plug torque.

6 hours ago, proporsche said:

angus nope..this is the official book...t.specifications ..but like i said 70 is way to much and no need to use torque wrench, ever;-)

aadrain plug specs.jpg

Perhaps comment  got slightly lost in translation. The figures quoted in the manual are wrong, very unusual for Porsche. 35Nm is plenty.

proporsche would imagine when your working every day, on cars you will have a feel , by hand of what is correct tightness.Other wise use a torque wrench.:)