Recommended oil for a 1977 2.7 911/85 engine

Hi..I'm new to classic 911 and I need a recommendation regarding oil grade and type for my 1977 2.7 with a 911/85 engine? Its UK based and wont be driving in the cold.

I've done some research and I just need some confirmation. Regarding synthetic I do not know what condition my engine seals are in so maybe not use this type of oil? 

Many thanks guys. Richard :)

Ah..that makes sense...and thank you so much :) I have seen much talk on this subject and its really subjective...I have just seen that someone had written some time back to use 20/50 oil on the original manual that came with the car so that's what I'm going with..sorry for opening up an old subject and thanks for this response..have a wonderful weekend sir :) 

case closed :)

You can't do any harm by putting in Porsche's recommended oil. If the picture on the can is of your car, that's the oil. Simples.

Yes sirs. That’s is exactly what I’ll be using. Many thanks again. I appreciate this 

Also after driving the car just now for 3/4 hr then letting her idle for a couple of mins the dip stick was just on the minimum mark so I will only add 1/2 quart then Check levels again until I’m up to between the min and max on the dipstick. I’m new to 911s so I’m learning :) thanks. 

It really does have to be hot to get the thermostat under the rear offside wing to open. Feel the pipes under the sill, if they are cold, it’s still warming up. Once you feel them warm up, you know the oil is moving all around the system and the true level of oil can be seen on the dip stick. 

• johndglynn changed the title to Recommended oil for a 1977 2.7 911/85 engine