The End of my IB

Dr Rock

Think if I went through what you've just done I'd be in the hotel bar, sat on a st00l in just my pants, t-shirt, one shoe/sock

If anyone asked WTF I'd tell them the story and say are you just going to just stand and stare, FO or join me for a drink?

Bet you'd meet some real interesting folk that way 😎 or at least get a free cell room for the night

Edited by World Citizen

sorry to see that happen to you Fraser....

Ivan

i do not plan any of this for my 911 ...i did installed this Viper couple of years ago form the Frenchies to show them and i have never removed it

Edited by proporsche

Here’s a funny I’ve just remembered- before the fire brigade arrived (in 15 minutes) the starter motor decided to begin whirring. Lots of people shouting to me to “turn it off!” LOL. So as I disconnect the battery regularly I just *happened* to have the 13mm spanner in the front to undo the battery connection.

That was lucky!

Vincent: socks and trousers are in the bin. I think they did their sacrificial anode job today admirably.

Fire is an absolutely scary thing: we couldn’t up the flames out and keep them out- they just relit every time and the fire extinguishers kept running out.

And I now expect everyone to be inspecting/replacing their fuel lines this weekend :signs71:

Edited by Dr Rock

Ah man, commiserations Fraser.

You did well to get it out at all. Even a six kilos extinguisher only lasts about twenty seconds (aside from trucks who carries one that big?).

Looks to originate from the nearside of the engine?

So sorry to read this Doc, thank god you are OK. Your insurers should have a 24 hour helpline, although possibly medical only.

i was gonna say have a few drinks, but assume I’m too late with that advice.

Fookinell. That's not good. It does looks like some sort of fuel line type issue.

Glad you're ok even if the poor traumatised bystanders had to witness you with half of your trousers missing!

In all seriousness, it's a sobering thought that your fire extinguisher + a few other peoples extinguishers were not up to the job of putting it out. In the back of your mind you always kinda thing that a bit of a squirt of magic foam and any fire will be out but obviously that is just not the case.

Hopefully you've got good insurance that will give you plenty of choices about how to proceed with it. Either way, there's a lot of paint, heat and engine damage there that will be more than skin deep. The image in your second post really shows that. There is no way I'd be driving on that left rear wheel after being subjected to enough heat to do that amount of damage. It is now a hose reel in my eyes.

Really sorry sight :(

Bl@@dy Nora Fraser, have just logged on to see this devastating news. Thank God that you’ve not had any serious injury.....but the car!,....admired it when you visited last year on your way up to Forres, so sad to see the destruction that the fire caused. Let’s hope that once back home and the remains evaluated, maybe a lot can be saved? I really feel for you as not-with-standing the trauma of it all, to now look at the remains must be heartbreaking.

all the best in recovery and recuperation, 

Regards, David.

Wow, that sucks.

Downside is your pics. Upside is that it should repair if you can get an assessor on side. The only issue may be with the metal going brittle after that sort of blaze and insurance declaring it over and out. I have just been through an insurance case on a burned out car and it went Cat A in the end - rightly so I think. But it was much worse than yours.

TBH I would consider taking a payout and starting again if it were offered - sometimes these things are best. But you will be back in the saddle sooner or later! You know where I am if you need any help with anything.

Fraser this is awful news. I’m really sorry to see it. I think it’s something we’re all worried about happening. Also, shows the extinguishers are next to useless. Shame those firesticks from the states aren’t allowed here.  Probably a stupid question but I wonder if a fire blanket would be better at starving it of oxygen and then use an extinguisher from underneath. 

Hope you get a speedy pay out buddy. 👍

It’s not that fire extinguishers are useless: more that cooling was required, which only the fire brigade could do. The flames kept re-igniting and then the extinguishers ran out...so I think they helped reduce the damage, but couldn’t stop the flames.

Ivan, the fuel pump wasn’t working: there would have been a lot more damage if it had been. The heat did something to the starter that made it operate. This was after a good few minutes.

I went on a walk this morning: found the car:

0C773B4C-A6C5-415A-B43B-6018CEC2AFB2.jpeg

So sorry,to quote a very long gone mechanic, "theres nane that canny be repaired" . Sure in time , you get it back on go, zooming about better than before.