The End of my IB

Dr Rock

1 hour ago, Northy said:

Fraser this is awful news. I’m really sorry to see it. I think it’s something we’re all worried about happening. Also, shows the extinguishers are next to useless. Shame those firesticks from the states aren’t allowed here.  Probably a stupid question but I wonder if a fire blanket would be better at starving it of oxygen and then use an extinguisher from underneath. 

Hope you get a speedy pay out buddy. 👍

Not a stupid question Northy, I think most if us will have thought about the possibility of a fuel fire in our cars and how to deal with it. A fire blanket would have been as much use as a chocolate teapot - in fact a chocolate teapot may have been more useful !

The small in car extinguishers are next to useless unless the fuel has stopped pumping and you catch it very very early. You may get very lucky. 

The Drs car looks to have had a good few large extinguishers emptied into it but if the fuels still flowing you've ni chance. As he said, copious amounts of water are reqd.

Who's been out to look at the fuel pipes since his first post - I have 🤔 

Gutted for you mate that's a terrible shame.

Regarding the starter motor kicking in, the yellow wire runs from the main engine harness in the engine bay.  When I had the blower motor short out it melted part of the harness and then shorted onto the yellow wire which then kicked in the starter motor.  All whilst the engine was running.

Took me a few days and an auto electrician to figure it out as it kept doing it when I reconnected the battery.

yup Nige i thought about for a second and that is correct;-)

Regarding those fire sticks -Fire element-from the USA i just saw this .....https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/?event=viewProduct&reference=0632/06&lng=en.

Northy:they are actually from Italy .did you know???

1 minute ago, jevvy said:

Dibbs on the ducktail :)

*too soon?

It’s a good ducktail: I just spent an hour last week fettling it to fit pretty much spot on! :doh2:

I hadn't heard of the ethanol in fuel damaging fuel lines before now.

How much ethanol is in unleaded and super unleaded in the UK?

I replaced the front to rear hoses when my engine was out early this year but reused the flexis in the engine bay because the "looked" sound. I suppose they could fail anytime then.

11 minutes ago, craigt said:

I hadn't heard of the ethanol in fuel damaging fuel lines before now.

How much ethanol is in unleaded and super unleaded in the UK?

I replaced the front to rear hoses when my engine was out early this year but reused the flexis in the engine bay because the "looked" sound. I suppose they could fail anytime then.

Esso Supreme SUL is 0% ethanol in most areas (google it)

Shell VPower is 5% i believe

Dunno about anything else.

19 minutes ago, proporsche said:

northy ..you did not see the link i have posted for you regarding the element??

here

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/?event=viewProduct&reference=0632/06&lng=en

According to the element website it has a CE mark but is also subject to this consumer ‘alert’.   Hmmm.

57 minutes ago, Northy said:

This is the original one I’d seen before https://elementfire.com/ - Looks very good. 

I see they are doing a group buy on pelican for them - I wonder if we can arrange a group buy?  If there is interest, I don’t mind organising (if they’ll ship to the UK). 

I'd never use this on a car, fire test video was too controlled and nothing like a  real car fire, car fuel fires are not conveniently contained in a bowl!

If you're serious about fire safety then please  talk to and buy from one of the motorsport fire extinguisher suppliers ie Lifeline, SPA, Design, FEV Co that sell kits to WRC, LMP and F1 teams

Most use a fire retardant detergent that is added to water which turns into a foam when released under pressure, this smothers the fire ina foamy blanket (easy to wash off after) rather than a gas system ie CO2 that only starves a fire of oxygen for a short while until it reignites when more fuel seeps out

I too have just caught up with this..... Stomach churning pictures. Good luck with the outcome, hope you were fully insured. Old 911s never die, they get rebuilt and put back on the road right?

I'm off to check my fuel lines. Chris.