SP72

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

That rust is very common.  Mine was about 6 inches further forward from what Nige shows in pics.  If under the 3/4 window it can be tricky to repair.  Given the sill covers are on, it likely has some nastiness hiding away unless sills have been done, but if Colin removes the covers you can check easily and also check kidneys once on a lift.

Thanks Richard, Will let you know what i discover next week. Just considering my options on buying a car that on the face of it has all the bits i need to build my ideal car  against buying bit by bit along the way and probably spending a similar amount of money.

Why did I sell my CS ??????

18 hours ago, alpole said:

Thanks Richard, Will let you know what i discover next week. Just considering my options on buying a car that on the face of it has all the bits i need to build my ideal car  against buying bit by bit along the way and probably spending a similar amount of money.

Why did I sell my CS ??????

I think the 9m sleeper is perfect for you, much better than the CS as you can rag it senseless with virtually zero guilt! (much like you used to do with with CS :) )

When are you going to see it? Tempted to suggest negotiate on the price instead of getting any rust repaired before purchase. Then you get some time to hack about in it for a while and decide how thoroughly you want to do any repairs / painting / colour change etc.

I think it would be hard to buy the car / bits needed to build that car nowadays as there are so many more people chasing that kinda kit and prices have pushed up.

48 minutes ago, jevvy said:

I think the 9m sleeper is perfect for you, much better than the CS as you can rag it senseless with virtually zero guilt! (much like you used to do with with CS :) )

When are you going to see it? Tempted to suggest negotiate on the price instead of getting any rust repaired before purchase. Then you get some time to hack about in it for a while and decide how thoroughly you want to do any repairs / painting / colour change etc.

I think it would be hard to buy the car / bits needed to build that car nowadays as there are so many more people chasing that kinda kit and prices have pushed up.

Thanks mate . THink your on my wave length !!! well i know you are.

The sum of the current bits even with work required is similar to me hunting about and at the end of the day the Rat look seems to be in . ☺️

On 6/12/2019 at 12:32 PM, Richard Bernau said:

That rust is very common.  Mine was about 6 inches further forward from what Nige shows in pics.  If under the 3/4 window it can be tricky to repair.  Given the sill covers are on, it likely has some nastiness hiding away unless sills have been done, but if Colin removes the covers you can check easily and also check kidneys once on a lift.

Richard,

I notice your old car has appeared for sale in the other cars section of pistonheads . Would i be better looking at this over the Ninemeister one. They want £39995 but its in Paris.

Alan

So basically the same advert with tartan cushions and a Wevo shifter plus some moody photos.  It is a lot of car for the money...

Edit - by the mileage looks like he may have done one trip since buying it, so very little usage in 3 years.  There was nothing wrong with it when I sold, so no hidden stuff to be aware of.  The advert is fair.

Edited by Richard Bernau

There is some merit to that proposal - though it isn't a touring car in the way the Blue Meany is/was.  You could make it more so without too much effort - 21mm front torsion bars, remove cage, comfy seats and a load of sound deadening.  But still not really the same.

Edited by Richard Bernau

Just now, Richard Bernau said:

There is some merit to that proposal - though it isn't a touring car in the way the Blue Meany is/was.  You could make it more so without too much effort - 21mm front torsion bars, remove cage, comfy seats and a load of sound deadening.

Theres some fantastic lightweight sound deadening stuff nowadays, no need to add a hundredweight of dynamat to make things civil!

Imagine the pics Dr Rock!

2 hours ago, jevvy said:

Theres some fantastic lightweight sound deadening stuff nowadays, no need to add a hundredweight of dynamat to make things civil!

Imagine the pics Dr Rock!

What's the "go to" sound deadening stuff Jevv? 

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

What's the "go to" sound deadening stuff Jevv? 

Not a short question to answer. Have a read of this:

https://www.deadening.co.uk/pages/advice

I should have actually said 'lighter' rather than 'lightweight' as it still costs kg's to do proper sound deadening but you can take the edge off without much weight penalty.

41 minutes ago, SP72 said:

The cymbal trick always amazes me with deadening

Yes it is indeed an impressive trick but not many panels in a 911 / 964 are likely to resonate like a cymbal as they are mostly such complex compound shapes.

5 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Yes it is indeed an impressive trick but not many panels in a 911 / 964 are likely to resonate like a cymbal as they are mostly such complex compound shapes.

You haven’t been in my car, it’s so cymbal-like, it’s like being in a jaaaaz cafe (tssss, tssss,-tssshhh....)

35 minutes ago, SP72 said:

You haven’t been in my car, it’s so cymbal-like, it’s like being in a jaaaaz cafe (tssss, tssss,-tssshhh....)

FC98C6D9-331C-44DC-8CEB-F28228AD81C4.jpeg

12 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

Depends what you want - they are quite different cars.

Obviously, I know mine fairly inside and out and can give you any info you need if you want to follow up with Alex.  I should check out the advert...

Thanks Richard, Im going up to see the 9m car tomorrow will let you know how i get on but the appearance of your old car is of interest to me .

Alan

Been up to see it today and took it for a spin .

Drives very well and looks great from a distance . Two bad bits of rust which could be the tip of an iceberg but the rest of the car appears very solid . What are your experiences of surface rust as shown in the pictures . The car has fantastic road presence and whilst rough round the edges could be a useable Ib.

only mechanical upgrade to do would be brakes as has most other upgrades done .

interior carpets and seats tatty but the driving experience overcomes this .

Trying to decide whether it’s worth £50k .

Thoughts appreciated .

B9B3156E-0E65-47E8-806B-A89B8083CCCB.jpeg

946670C8-65F1-47F1-BEE2-F49183DD1853.jpeg

You've got to look at it for what it is. CB or 9M isn't going to be selling a car cheap. Why should/would they?

The car clearly needs some fairly large surgery (which always ends in mission creep) but has a lot of the 'right' ingredients fitted. Would I take that over RB's old car for the same money? No f-in chance but that's me.

On the flip side of the coin, price up a reasonable IB and add the 3.6 etc that the 9m car has and the bills add up pretty quick. 

Personally, I wouldn't want to pay that for the silver one and I don't think that the seller would give enough reduction to fix that rot & paint so I think it would end up a no sale.

Bottom line, the car has been for sale publicly for a few weeks. If it was a bargain then it wouldn't still be for sale :twocents:

I doubt that quarter panel is surface rust.  if its the foam that’s caused it, it be rusting/holed on the other side of the foam, inaccessible without slicing through the outer layer.

You’re probably looking at the whole side being painted, imo

B post rot, rear quarter issues, probably got issues with the front bumper mounts too and battery tray.  All the usual stuff.  At best about 5k to put right. Engine spec is great but its overpriced.

It's worth 50k without the rot.