Nexen tyres

sheep911uk

Hi All

Just spoken to local tyre shop about a new set of tyres and told them I didn't want premium tyres as I don't drive car enough and didn't want cheap budget tyres wanted something inbetween and they recommended Nexen, anybody used them and are they good or bad?

Thanks

Can’t help on the nexen brand but I always think tyres are one area you really don’t want anything but premium. Your only contact point on the road. If you bimble along fine, chuck anything on. If you like a bit of sport driving, get your Bridgestone, continental, Pirelli’s on.

Tyre thread. Yayyy! 

This might be coming at it from an unusual angle but if you ask most people “what stops a car” they will say “the brakes”.  This is the obvious answer but it’s slightly wrong as the correct answer is the tyres.  Don’t put cheap tyres on anything you drive even reasonably quickly, because as well as not gripping properly in various handling circumstances, being noisy and wearing out too quickly they won’t stop the car as well.  

SO2s aren’t expensive and everyone knows they’re the best tyres for these cars......

47 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

SO2s aren’t expensive and everyone knows they’re the best tyres for these cars......

Well let's hope Sheep has 16s as they are not available for 15s. Tyre choice for 15s is very very limited.

1 hour ago, sheep911uk said:

Thanks I don't drive particularly quick but want something that I know will grip if it rains.

Rain. You go out in the rain 🙈 Only kidding. If you've got 16 inch rims, you can’t go wrong with Bridgestone so2’s or continental sport contacts. 

I had Nexen on my 964 when i bought the car and I didn't like them in dry as too slippery compared to my SO2 on 3.2 Carrera, never tried them in the wet. As everyone else says stick to the tried and tested SO2's.

1 hour ago, sheep911uk said:

225/50/16

205/55/16

I’ve got Bridgestone SO2’s on the 3.2 and continental sport contacts on the SC. In all honesty, I prefer the Continental’s. More grip. I can tell which is stickier on a gravel drive after a run. Which fling more stones lol. Bridgestone look better though and are very good. Can’t go wrong with either. I’ve bought my last 3 sets from camskill and get my local tyre place to fit them. £10 a corner to strip, fit and balance. 

25 minutes ago, sheep911uk said:

What are the Continental alternatives to S02s, local tyre shops are quoting delivery at 10 days plus !!

Sport contacts. Have a look at camskill. You’ll see the Porsche recommended N rated jobbies in the right sizes