Handbrake lever assembly refurbishment

Busybee

Asked on one of my other threads but thought it deserved its own as couldn’t find the answer.

How do you dismantle the handbrake lever assembly to refurbish all the parts? Particularly, removing the central pivot pin to let the handbrake lever slide out of the base? I’ve done it a couple of years ago on my 912 but it’s stumping me on the SC with the hand throttle as well as the heater lever. 

In the second and third pics there seem to be 3 nuts which will indigo release all the levers.

In the last pic isn't that a pull release spring circlip type retainer on the right side of the spindle?

As per item 36 in the second diagram above?

2 hours ago, Phill said:

In the second and third pics there seem to be 3 nuts which will indigo release all the levers.

In the last pic isn't that a pull release spring circlip type retainer on the right side of the spindle?

As per item 36 in the second diagram above?

Taken the 3 nuts off and the hand throttle lever and washers all come off the pivot shaft. The heater lever and washers won’t. They just won’t go over the pivot with threads on both ends. I’m guessing the actual pivot shaft (not shown on the exploded parts diagram on your link) needs to slide out somehow to allow the main hand lever to come out through the base. 

Does this pic give a clue ? On mine a shaft fitted over main bolt  may need to remove this ? Yo may have this part off already though.

SAM_3009.JPG.69ec5d2eecf4dcce5f5353c9da26afab.thumb.jpg.da91cb34caeec765516da14ee08b2d5b.jpg

Edited by Henry
wrong

Hi Henry. Many thanks. Yes that collar poking out of the washer could well be it. Stopping the through bolt coming out. Part 16 is the collar I guess. I’ll see if I can take that out. Gentle taps on the through bolt don’t seem to do anything. 

6CD3DB4B-89DC-4DF8-9AF3-7CD3FD435B68.png

It was a few tears ago now when I took mine apart tbh , trying to remember :unsure:  . Looking at my pick closely looks like it just slides on and is retained by the nut .  Bit of wd and a tap ,nut on to protect threads or try twisting with grips should give a result .  Good luck 

Edited by Henry

Couldn't get the bl**dy pin out but managed to tease all the levers off. Cleaned up ready to go back in tomorrow when the plastic bit hopefully arrives from Matt. Looking a bit better. The plastic bit for the hand throttle linkage turns to cheese. Literally cheese. Soft and crumbly! 

61229304_10219208005578744_2731307005040918528_n.jpg

60594061_10219208004898727_3004239699821723648_n.jpg

Plastic hand throttle linkage arrived today. Cheers @Type911

All back in and working well. Putting the handbrake assembly back in with heater control and a a hand throttle is a massive pain in the ars*. Me being me decided to remove the whole thing to refurb and tidy it. Good in theory right. Took me 4 hours to get it back in. Ended up removing the hook (pin a circlip), hooking the handbrake cables on the putting the pin and circlip on. Angling to get the heater cable connected and the fishing to get the hand throttle plastic linkage bar on. What a faff! 

• 3 weeks later...