Impact Bumpers
R2D2

Locked Out - Dead Battery

Hello,

Battery has died and can't get into car as keys will not operate locks manually (never have, is this normal?) Started taking the front bumper off to do that hole drill trick so i can get the bonnet open and charge the damn battery. Hate this job because of the fiddly bolts and awkward access so started thinking whether it was possible to pull the thick black + cable from the starter motor and use that to charge the battery....is that a stoopid idea? 

Can't answer your charging question sorry, but once you've got the bonnet open and battery sorted maybe run an external pull release from the catch (as you just know there will be a "not again" moment down the road...). 

You can connect a charger to anything you can access which shows a DC voltage on your meter. Obviously battery is low so could be quite a bit less than 12v. Can't think of any reason why the cable to the solenoid and an earth couldn't be used. Also don't think you need to remove it.

Good thinking batman!

Edited by Roy M

BTW - my keys fit my locks and will unlock manually. (Doubt moment - will go and check!!)

Key should work the lock manually at all times

2 minutes ago, Roy M said:

BTW - my keys fit my locks and will unlock manually. (Doubt moment - will go and check!!)

Yes - definitely do!

Perhaps this is due to an aftermarket central locking kit?  

I am pretty sure that when I don't have my battery connected, I cannot lock/unlock the doors manually.  Well, there is a huge amount of resistance, so didn't want to put too much strain on the key in case it sheers :blink:

It requires more effort but it will open

My locks work manually without battery.  I use the push button on the door top, then close the door as normal.  Opens with a turn of the key.

Edited by SP72

Cheers dudes, mine is an aftermarket system. i'll try to be less limp-wrist-ed with the key but as above pretty sure any further force will snap the key....

If all else fails just smash the door glass, NOT the quarterlight.  The glass can be easily replaced.  Much easier than removing the front bumper and drilling a hole in your body work.

For later cars the doors can be unlocked but not looked with a key and a dead battery.

You can lock the drivers door from the inside when it is closed but you cant activate the door lock with the door is open as the lock mechanism is jammed while the latch is in the open position. 

You should be able to unlock the door though from the outside with a key unless the locknut on the end of the lock spindle has come lose and you have been relying on the microswitch to unlock the doors for a while - does the key just spin or is it firm to turn against a stop?

Hey Jev - its firm - just won't turn at all. I do recall though that the keys have never worked in the door locks regardless of battery. I suppose if the lock nut has gone away the key would just spin?

Mr Nige - pretty much ready to drill the sucker already. Did consider busting the glass as I have some spares but just couldn't bring myself to do it! 

The good Doctor - i'll try the passenger side 

You haven't tried the passenger side yet!?!

41 minutes ago, Nige said:

You haven't tried the passenger side yet!?!

Yes! But I'll try again just in case!

Good thought RE rear quarter Leics - reckon one of the kids will fit in there.

Edited by R2D2

If your key doesnt work the doors because its been changed your fecked with that approach, rear 1/4 sounds easy enough

Yep they must have. Popped the bonnet via the 8mm hole / bent Eire trick so all done.