rear wing x body seal fitment

jamesmckenzie

Hello all,

The seal between the rear wing and decklid has slumped between both the wing and decklid at the tope corners nearby the rear screen.

The spoilers on my car were dealer fit at PDI. I have also noticed a butchers job of affixing the wing to the car when viewing the fitment from the inside. I'm looking to source the corner brackets and a new seal? I think Stoddard has them...anywhere local though?

Is fitting the new seal a 'stretch fitment' or does it lay on nicely? I tried to refit the existing seal and found I couldn't stretch it very well.

Is adhesive required? If so what adhesive did you use?

Thanks all!

James

10 minutes ago, jamesmckenzie said:

Whale tail x engine cover/decklid.

😎 The seal I find hard to fit- it has sticky stuff on it and it really doesn’t bend around the corners easily at all. A right faff to keep it in place while fitting....

Mine has done the same and I only rebuilt mine 3 years ago. It seemed to have double sided tape holding it when I took it apart (first time it had been apart as I could tell) so used the same to hold it in place whilst I attached the wing. However it must have shrunk back. Reluctant to take the whole wing off you to reposition it as it is a phaff with the a/c condenser on the lid. 

The seal is a P shaped profile and had  v shaped darts cut into the flat to make it bend around the corners. I have a photo somewhere if that doesn’t make sense. 

I managed it the first time I did the job: second time I couldn't get it to work so I let GCR put out all back together....:twocents:

12 minutes ago, jamesmckenzie said:

All makes sense but I'm thinking it might not be worth the trouble?

I agree but it will bug you every time to notice it if you are anything like me ☹️

3 hours ago, Type911 said:

Your local OPC is best bet

I believe these are the parts I need.

Can I get these from OPC?

https://www.stoddard.com/93051225800.html.html

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/1485

4 hours ago, Leicestershire said:

When new the seal is quite flexible and feels like some type of rubber but after time the material degrades and feels like a hard plastic. 

My 2nd seal (from OPC) wasn't very flexible to start with: guess that may have contributed to me not being able to fit it... 

5 hours ago, jamesmckenzie said:

Yes.