Flame me Now!

6 hours ago, Jim Rummy said:

Just bought my 6th bimmer: May I present the land yacht aka: battlestar gallactica:

3d2c8b43d818ac80b8d6c1fd2075c066.jpg

Picked up bank holiday fine for £3,500 off the eBay sight unseen - a 740i sport - what a peach - love it; replaces the pcp money draining M2.

Used to have an e36 328i touring that cost me £100, which I chopped in for an m135i deposit - bmw gave me a grand!

Love a BMW

Didn't know there was so much BMW love on here

Some lovely cars people have but Jim's land yacht is the best so far, has it got lunar mileage ?

E38 740i in black is on my 'affordable' dream garage short list

Didn't know there was so much BMW love on here
Some lovely cars people have but Jim's land yacht is the best so far, has it got lunar mileage ?
E38 740i in black is on my 'affordable' dream garage short list

Only 95,000, although as it’s my DD, I’ll be adding around 10,000 a year to that (if the old girl holds up). They love them in the states, where they seem to drive them into the 300’s, so there’s hope.

16 hours ago, Jim Rummy said:

Just bought my 6th bimmer: May I present the land yacht aka: battlestar gallactica:

Picked up bank holiday fine for £3,500 off the eBay sight unseen - a 740i sport - what a peach - love it; replaces the pcp money draining M2.

Used to have an e36 328i touring that cost me £100, which I chopped in for an m135i deposit - bmw gave me a grand!

Love a BMW

Good choice of pub too ! Had a nice meal in there in Charlbury  not so long ago :)

On 6/12/2019 at 3:14 PM, Jim Rummy said:

May I present the land yacht aka: battlestar gallactica:

Bimmers are great, no getting away from it!

Funny, a good friend used to have a 90's 535 which was named the "Millennium Falcon"!

Bimmers are great, no getting away from it!
Funny, a good friend used to have a 90's 535 which was named the "Millennium Falcon"!

Any large bulk cruiser will do R2D2, surely you of all people should know that

On 6/12/2019 at 3:14 PM, Jim Rummy said:

Love a BMW

Fame at last! Front page of PH! 👍

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/bmw-740i-e38--readers-car-of-the-week/40376

On 6/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, Jim Rummy said:

da557398a1f72c4f1157f8d51566260e.jpg

Really nice JR - I love e38s.  All of the dailies I’ve had over the past few years have qualified for ‘barge-dom’.  The current 2006 XJR is 5m too but for some reason, much more difficult to place than others.

BTW - I didn’t realise you’d sold or are selling your Turbo?

I know! Funny eh?
Really nice JR - I love e38s.  All of the dailies I’ve had over the past few years have qualified for ‘barge-dom’.  The current 2006 XJR is 5m too but for some reason, much more difficult to place than others.
BTW - I didn’t realise you’d sold or are selling your Turbo?

Selling - need the cash for a new business - sad times, but nothing lasts forever

thanks for the replies, good to see so many different cars 

at the moment the A6 B7 3.0TDI Avant Quattro is a nose ahead of a BMW E90 Touring 530i.....but this changes daily.....

a Nissan Patrol 3.0TD stubbornly keeps reappearing on my list as we have a couple of big drives on our to to list which would favour owning a tough 4x4 

14 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Nissan Patrol 3.0TD stubbornly keeps reappearing on my list as we have a couple of big drives on our to to list which would favour owning a tough 4x4 

I had a 4 cyl 3rd gen Nissan Patrol and a 6cyl 4th gen Safari Patrol, both 2 door petrol. Loved the 4th Gen one due to much better suspension (coil) and more powerful engine, very solid and reliable cars but had to sell as my 18 month old daughter was getting a bit too big to go through the rear hatch window on way to car seat! Remember hearing something about early 5th gen 3.0TD engines not liking big load trailers though.

4 hours ago, reddevil said:

Cayenne Diesel? If you really want to get 🔥 

You mean, burnt in the botty flamed :o

Too complicated, too expensive and too shouty with a 'I'm considerably richer than yow' look when venturing beyond Western Europe

Mondrian, love the Gen 4, early Gen 5's can have engine probs, later engines are Chernobyl proof but dash tops bubble up with sun heat/radiation

Audi A6 Avant is still winning today!

9 hours ago, World Citizen said:

You mean, burnt in the botty flamed :o

Too complicated, too expensive and too shouty with a 'I'm considerably richer than yow' look when venturing beyond Western Europe

Mondrian, love the Gen 4, early Gen 5's can have engine probs, later engines are Chernobyl proof but dash tops bubble up with sun heat/radiation

Audi A6 Avant is still winning today!

Haha. I've just bought this, needed something more practical for towing:

IMG_7999.thumb.jpg.66d5e20ec06d6236b8366f976e146773.jpgIMG_3143.thumb.jpg.1a45c366213402fe62bc83d9eb47cde0.jpg

IMG_5304.thumb.jpg.7332ab592dabb62792c4f9a03868e844.jpg

It's a Cayenne without the shout, in fact it's a Touareg without the shout - Escape model so de-crome'd, jacked up ride height, smaller wheeled version with proper low ratio and diff locks - but with the full max fat 3.0 V6. No more complicated than an A6 Avant, in fact much of the tech is the same!!

Absolutely love it and being the unfashionable trim model it was as cheap as chips.

The interior is not as nice as the Porsche version though.

G-wagen had to go though, sold in 18 hours... 😞 will miss that one. Was getting ruined towing race cars and accommodating parts and tool boxes in the back. And 14mpg is only funny for so long.

DSC_4607.thumb.jpg.d8309fe796a45ffec128828519652529.jpg

DSC_4651.thumb.jpg.7e3e988e12d3dfdf88021cbc2842d626.jpg

I like both of those a lot, lG Wagon's are very 😎, looked at Touareg's V6 TD for a long time but fancy something a little lower and swifter in the corners

After my disastrous S4 purchase followed by my early demise I never quite scratched my fast estate itch

6 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I like both of those a lot, lG Wagon's are very 😎, looked at Touareg's V6 TD for a long time but fancy something a little lower and swifter in the corners

After my disastrous S4 purchase followed by my early demise I never quite scratched my fast estate itch

Yeah fast big estates are fun, I wanted something with a 3.5t towing capacity though, hard to find in a traditional estate. 

V10 S6 Avant? You only live once. Except in your case!

Edited by reddevil

12 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Yeah fast big estates are fun, I wanted something with a 3.5t towing capacity though, hard to find in a traditional estate. 

V10 S6 Avant? You only live once. Except in your case!

If I had to do the one car does all then it would be an RS4 Avant, can't think of any other car that would tick so many boxes 

The Audi V6 TDi is peach, it certainly doesn't feel or sound like a diesel especially compare to the wife's Merc equivalent.  

I had my A6 Quattro chipped to something like 270bhp and a gazillion NM.  I think the 911 would struggle to keep up and it gives 50mpg at a steady 70mph.

On 6/19/2019 at 8:00 AM, Nige said:

The Audi V6 TDi is peach, it certainly doesn't feel or sound like a diesel especially compare to the wife's Merc equivalent.  

I had my A6 Quattro chipped to something like 270bhp and a gazillion NM.  I think the 911 would struggle to keep up and it gives 50mpg at a steady 70mph.

Agree it’s the second car i’ve had this engine in. Very undiesel in the way it revs and surprisingly low lag. Sounds good too!