Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
enidthefrog

A nice simple job...

First job on our new '78SC is an oil change.

Unfortunately the oil tank sump plug was fitted by a gorilla and has broken off the thread/boss from the bottom of the tank. Can these be re-braised (assuming the tank is not rusted). Has anyone had any experience with this.

No rush as I am now struggling with the 200ft/lb torqued oil filter so may be some time...

IMG_20190608_124234870.jpg

Never seen this before.

Possible to repair but the tank needs to come off. 

The tank is on clean side of the filter so you need to make sure that the inside is free from contaminants after the repair.

Were you turning this the right direction with a hand tool?

That's unlucky, I have used a G clamp to remove an oil filter in the past, I think someone secretly tightens mine overnight

Good luck with the repair

A decent welder/brazer shouldn't have any problem putting a new boss on there. Removing the oil tank is easy, especially now the oil is already out ;)

Thanks for the replies. I am currently extracting the tank and hopefully there's enough "meat" around the threads to braise it.

Interesting (and a little surprising) that the tank is clean side. There was some rust (maybe 20 flecks each 0.5mm) and what appears to be a small (2mm) stone in the dropped oil. I will ensure the tank is spotless both before and after repair. At least this gives me a chance to clean behind it.  

I was using a 15mm ratchet socket and I quadruple checked it was anti-clockwise (undoing)... they're not l/h threads are they?