2020 Alpine Road Trip

On 2/6/2020 at 9:13 PM, Richard Bernau said:
Turn on the Garmin, select "Apps" and then select "Trip Planner".  At this point you may see nothing and think its all failed.  Leave it for an hour or even overnight and come back and by magic, all the route files should be there.

Glad I am still useful...:whistling:

19 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

Holly carp that was a pain in the behind.  Garmin Express and Base Camp don't like working together on a Mac and working out how to Get BaseCamp to talk to the devise is not easy. It doesn't appear as a division a Mac so no drag and drop.

Seems to have worked now OK after lots of huffing.  Didn't help At first I couldn't find where there trips were saved.  (you have to go to Apps and Trip Planner) Only worked that our by looking at the Doc's picture above!

It was in my instructions ;)  BTW, for benefit of others, you don't need to use Basecamp to load the Garmin itself, only to view the route files.  I am operating on Mac and "drag & drop" works just fine for me.  You are not wrong that it can be a PITA though.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:13 PM, Richard Bernau said:

Turn on the Garmin, select "Apps" and then select "Trip Planner".

2 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

It was in my instructions ;)  BTW, for benefit of others, you don't need to use Basecamp to load the Garmin itself, only to view the route files.  I am operating on Mac and "drag & drop" works just fine for me.  You are not wrong that it can be a PITA though.

Yeah I know. Blokes and reading the instructions eh?! 😊

How did you drag and drop? My Mac wouldn’t show it as a device. 

12 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

My Garmin just appears as an external drive - like a USB stick - when I connect it.  Then it just has a folder hierarchy like any drive and I can drag the files I have saved on my hard drive over.

Sometimes my Mac does and sometimes it doesn't....:smash:

19 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

Sometimes my Mac does and sometimes it doesn't....:smash:

Yes, that is true.  Sometimes I need to unplug, switch off and reconnect.  Multiple times even.  I had put that done to the reliability of the cable as I had that advice via a Garmin help/chat/bot when I had failed to get a connection some years ago.

I downloaded the files to my laptop (thank you!) some days ago, but I can't get my laptop to recognise the Garmin.  It's a brand new Garmin Drive 52 MT-S EU, which I'm connecting to an hp laptop using the USB lead that came with the Garmin.  The Garmin screen lights up with the battery/charging symbol and I can turn it on and off using the pushbutton on the back, but it only displays the charging symbol - but is that all it should do?  For instance, when I connect my phone to the laptop, it offers me the choice, on the phone screen, of merely charging it or selecting 'Transfer Files'; and only when I opt for the latter, does it appear on File Explorer on the laptop for me to select it to transfer files, etc.

I've tried all three of the USB ports on the laptop.  I don't think I've got another USB cable with the same peculiarly-shaped Garmin connection (mini-USB?  Not sure).

Sadly, I 'downgraded' to Windows 10 last month.  I suspect this would have been easy with Windows 7 ..?

Does anyone know how to get my laptop or the Garmin to talk to each other?

Edited by GimmeShelter

So I tried everything: I registered the product on Garmin.com; charged it 100% (Garmin USB wire into a Sony phone charger); 'updated' the maps by downloading version 8.6 on top of the existing version 8.6 ... and the computer recognises it.  TBH, I'm not sure which one, or combination of, those made the difference, but hey, it's working.

After a degree of frustration I have managed to upload all of the routes to my Garmin.

I've also booked a cheap IBIS just south of Luxembourg for Friday night.

I have decided to tick something off my 'wish list' in Mulhouse on Saturday en-route to the first proper hotel.

Always wanted to visit the Schlumpf Collection so will spend a few hours there on Saturday.

Eurotunnel booked as well.....

Struggling to believe that this was 9 years ago!

Mille-1.jpg.8565b14e855c2fd00f349daba4fafbfd.jpg

6 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

COVID-19, hmmm.

I am keeping a watchful eye on it, but right now, I am of the view that I am travelling unless there is an actual travel ban.

Indeed!

So far as I can make out, the whole of Northern Italy bordering Austria and Switzerland is now in the quarantine zone.  And ski resorts are closed.  In practical terms, that means that the hotel in San Vigilio and the limited driving in Italy to San Vigilio and the next day across to Stelvio and on to Switzerland are in the quarantine zone.  However, I also read that all roads from Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia are open.

At work, I am also seeing clients start to ask you to self certify as to whether you have been to or been in contact with people who have travelled to a long list of affected countries in the last 14 days before any face to face meetings.  A pre-cursor to prescribed self isolation after travel to certain countries perhaps.  And Italy, Germany and France were on the list of countries.

Too early to start worrying, but I think we ought to be aware that disruption is a definite possibility.  I have an idea how to avoid Italy, but that may be the least of our problems if the quarantine spreads to neighbouring Austria etc.

I was watching the news about northern Italy yesterday Richard and it is worrying. Not because of the virus itself but the measures officials are taking to limit its spread.

As you say, too early to start panicking for now but I think the quarantined areas may well spread significantly in the coming months and this trip could be placed in Jeopardy. 

I'm guessing folks have their own insurances to cover any outlay just in case. Maybe a fallback plan to do the NC500 or something similar so we still get out and drive? 

21 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

"Let's go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for this all to blow over."

Glad I looked that up- I thought it was from Minder....:rolleyes: