Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Afraid I can’t make September so I am regrettably out. I hope you do get to go as replanned.  I will cancel all my bookings. Not fussed about refunds if they can’t be made as not to deep into things there. 
 

Have fun guys. We’ll meet again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will try to be objective (I have used today's papers and EU official guidance as my sources), you can all draw your own conclusions.  My opinion at the end, so you can ignore if you like. Franc

or you could try keeping your left wing sniping bullsh*t out of a car forum  and a thread for a trip that you aren't involved with.

A nice cup of Tea and some cake anyone.............................................  

Posted Images

How is this for a plan - let's lock in a Sept date and those that can make it, go for it.  And those that can't or want a repeat go for 2021 June.  If I am around in June 2021, I will do that plus September. 

I am so keen for this right now that if things lift, I will try to do a 4 day trip in July/Aug as well.  I am desperate for driving in Europe and too much is not going to be enough right now.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm OK from 14th September.....

I've taken some bookings for work for June 2021 so unlikely I'll be able to do a trip then.

Edited by Chris_911
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can  probably make most Sept dates work .   Well done RB  a lot of extra hassle , appreciated . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

June was a no no for me, but Sept could be very possible, I'll keep an eye on how things progress.

I would imagine more people will drive than fly this year, so crossings could get very busy, SPA and the revise Le Man are also in scheduled for Sept.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

How is this for a plan - let's lock in a Sept date and those that can make it, go for it.  And those that can't or want a repeat go for 2021 June.  If I am around in June 2021, I will do that plus September. 

I am so keen for this right now that if things lift, I will try to do a 4 day trip in July/Aug as well.  I am desperate for driving in Europe and too much is not going to be enough right now.  

Thanks for the sterling effort Richard. Not sure I can do a longer trip in September. Busier time in work kicks off early September usually - but this year, who knows. Have a feeling it’ll be pretty busy as have several new products launching. Think it’s best I just watch the thread and see where I am closer to the date. 
Likely be up for a shorter trip in July/August if you don’t mind a slow coach along. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From Bergheimat -

I was planning to give you an update from us as well, so that might have been a thought transfer J

Thank you anyway for your quick response and of course, we understand all situations at the moment, especially the one from the UK.
I guess you guys have to be very strong and patient.
We had this quarantine as well and kept ourselves at home a long time.

So for my correct assignment:
I will now cancel all of the rooms from your group in June 22- 23. Of course for free.
We would kindly ask you to be able to keep the pre-payments of € 50,- per person for a later stay, would that be OK for all of you?
And if September should be a ray of hope, we would love to have you here with us.
And if not so- there is surely another period maybe in 2021 or later, right?

Looking forward to hear from you again,

all the best and STAY healthy & take care
Nathalie

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just FYI, I am going to leave my deposits in place.  If you want a refund, you need to chase hotels directly.  The emails I sent yesterday were all along the lines of us being in the process of making a decision, but hard to see how we can travel in June and will revert ASAP.

With that in mind, I will let Hotel Sonne know that individuals may contact regarding refunds.  Message from the hotel in Amden - 

Dear Richard,

Thanks a lot for the message and the update. In Switzerland all shops, restaurants and schools will open again tomorrow. We are curious about the further development.

Please let us know as soon as possible how you would like to proceed. At the moment the chances are really not good for travelling in June. Btw we hreferred the requests of the participants directly to you.

Stay safe and best regards

Julia

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see how Hotels are keen to know that rooms are available. The guidance in mainland Europe is very much along the lines of „have a holiday in your own country“. So local demand will be high.

Mid September sounds a good choice, as the summer hols are finished and the autumn holidays don’t start until until the end of September. 

I’d certainly like to tag along, so let me know the definitive dates. I won’t be able to commit 100% yet, since I’m cooped up in Switzerland and not being able to see my kids (Germany) or my girlfriend (UK). So obviously I’d have to give them priority if freedom to travel  isn’t allowed until September.

Can‘t wait for a decent road trip. Need to get the car serviced and summer tyres put on though.

I’ll be only too happy to post a few pics of Alpine passes if I get to drive them over the coming weeks ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

I am torn in different directions on this one (so please bear with me while I ramble for a moment).  There are multiple clashing events being postponed to September; if September travel in Europe is allowed, then it might be more PC to travel in a smaller group; and I'm not one of the original group of friends who do these trips; so in conclusion, I think I'd be OK to step back at this stage and wish you good luck if you're planning to go in September.

On the other hand, I'm keen to do a trip very much like the proposed one, so am happy to make bookings for June 2021.  But then I'd like to stay two nights in some of the destinations that look wonderful.  One high on my list is the Sport Hotel.  So I'm prepared to offer that if, as the above suggests, deposits are transferable, and there are any folk who now think they can't go and might lose their deposit, I'd be happy to buy some deposits off people assuming that I can use those as vouchers for my stay.  Hope that helps.

However, I would choose to vary the route and not visit the Garni Chesa Mulin in Pontresina.  I think I'm allowed to cancel my stay there, if I do so before 9th June.  (Please shout if I've misunderstood.)

But next year, I'd love to visit My Tirol, Bergheimat, Sport Hotel and Central am See, mixing a driving tour with sightseeing (Alpine wandering, yodelling ... I digress).

This all absolutely cool.  I reckon everyone is trying to balance different priorities and schedules for now.  Having a couple of options seems most sensible.  

I completely understand the hotel comments.  The Hotel Sonne is really just a convenient place to meet and its cheap by Swiss standards.  It does sit in a beautiful position with stunning views over the lake and mountains.  The drive from their to MyTirol is a pretty chilled intro to the trip, but could easily be replaced or deprioritised.  The Pontresina hotel is expensive and is just a gateway into another part of Switzerland.  You can out-and-back from Sporthotel and cover a lot of that day's driving and the next day head into Switzerland and the Klausen. I can see how you don't lose much with the changes you suggest.  If you have routes for say 5 of 7 days covered, then sorting the other 2 is easy, so very sensible suggestions/options.  On Steve's trip to Slovenia, he had daily options for people to chose.  On my past trips, we have recut the routes daily or on the move in order to cope with breakdown and hangover induced late starts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve written to all cancelling my bookings and advising that I can’t join in September if that is when we rearrange for. I have advised them to keep the deposits from me. Natalie at Bergheimat sent me a similar mail as above. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have this from Weggis, Hotel Central am See -

Dear Richard,

thank you for the e mail and information.

Of course travelling at the moment is very hard for you.

I would like to stay in contact with you and maybe we could at least 14 days prior to arrival decide if you wish to change the date to September.

So for now we could see how the situation is going on and I do really hope that you can travel until June.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

 

Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Best Regards / Meilleures Salutations

Janine Matt

Direktionsassistentin

 

And from Christophe at Relais du Ried (I have asked for a refund and what info he needs to pay that to me which he hasn't responded to)-

Dear Richard,

Sorry for this late replay but we are closed for the moment and I’m not so much time in my office.

Regarding the situation, I fink that it will be difficult to come in France before this summer !!

If in between this time the situation is better, it will be nice but I don’t fink so.

If you find a other date for this year or next year, it will be nice.

I cancel your reservation in June free of charge of course.

If you have some other questions.

I wish you a nice day and I hope to see you soon.

 

Christophe Lutz

Link to post
Share on other sites

@MarkJ - see below from the hotel in Pontresina -

Hello Mr. Bernau

Thank you for your Mail from yesterday afternoon.

The reservations for Harrold and Nunn are already cancelled. If you wish we could cancel the others, too.

Your reservation and Mr. Mark Johnson’s reservation are non refundable ones. We will make an exception, and you could use the payed amount for a further stay with us.

Hope your classic car meeting can take place later this summer or even next summer.

We wish you all the best and stay healthy!

Kind regards

Sonja Isepponi-Schmid   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Afternoon all,

I’m currently in the process of cancelling all of the hotels along with my GT2RS taxi lap around the Nürburgring (boo). I will pencil in September but given the number of ifs, buts and maybes, I won’t be booking anything until last minute.

Thanks once again for all your hard work Richard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@RB, yes quite happy for it to be kept open for a later date if that's the option. Hopefully we get to use it in September

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am starting to get messages from hotels asking if everyone is cancelling or just some of the group.

I think the message is that everyone is cancelling June, but there is radio silence from some of you.  Suggest anyone who is dead set on trying to travel in June and who wants to keep reservations needs to shout now to avoid unintended consequences.

Message from myTirol -

Dear Richard,  

I have one question: 

The Customers which book directly with us (like McGregor, Stokes etc.) will they cancel all one by one?
Or is your E-Mail a Cancellation for everyone? 

Kind Regards

Katja

Edited by Richard Bernau
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Richard,

Sorry mate. Meant to update you. I've emailed all the hotels and asked to cancel. Wasn't sure if yours was a block cancellation or advice to do so. 

If we go in September or whenever, is it easier to make a single reservation for everyone in one hotel on one booking? Send cash to you or someone for all the hotels and you/they book the lot? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Busybee said:

If we go in September or whenever, is it easier to make a single reservation for everyone in one hotel on one booking? Send cash to you or someone for all the hotels and you/they book the lot? 

LOL.  Easier for you lot, but more work for me.  I am unwilling to take the role of travel agent - I have done this in the past and its a lot of hassle and chasing.  80:20 rule - 80% will be brilliant and 20% will be a PITA and not respond, not pay money etc.  There are times when I have the bandwidth for that and times when I don't.

The easiest way to do this is for everyone to book via booking.com and manage their bookings like that.  For this trip, given the numbers I guessed I could get people a better rate by going to the hotels direct and that has generally been the case.  It has already been more hassle than I would normally volunteer for.  For September, its probably best to keep going this way.  If we get a list of who is in for September, I can then email the hotels and say its XX rooms, these names and can you just role the booking forward to XX dates.

Lets give everyone time to respond re June - say till the end of the day - and then I will start working on September and get the list started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

LOL.  Easier for you lot, but more work for me.  I am unwilling to take the role of travel agent - I have done this in the past and its a lot of hassle and chasing.  80:20 rule - 80% will be brilliant and 20% will be a PITA and not respond, not pay money etc.  There are times when I have the bandwidth for that and times when I don't.

The easiest way to do this is for everyone to book via booking.com and manage their bookings like that.  For this trip, given the numbers I guessed I could get people a better rate by going to the hotels direct and that has generally been the case.  It has already been more hassle than I would normally volunteer for.  For September, its probably best to keep going this way.  If we get a list of who is in for September, I can then email the hotels and say its XX rooms, these names and can you just role the booking forward to XX dates.

Lets give everyone time to respond re June - say till the end of the day - and then I will start working on September and get the list started.

Awesome. Didn't want to cause you further work honestly Rich. Just thought it might be easier. I'll happily take on the travel agent role. Spreadsheet, money this much. No reply, no money, bog off, you're out! lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...