Cost sounds fine, I'm able to book annual leave 1 year in advance so will confirm my attendance 100% within the next couple of weeks.

Can i just confirm provisional dates with people so that i book the correct days off work.

19th June - Travel to Zurich

20th - 24th - Mountain passes (Finish in Zurich)

25th - Travel home

Does the above sound about right or have i missed anything ???

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will try to be objective (I have used today's papers and EU official guidance as my sources), you can all draw your own conclusions.  My opinion at the end, so you can ignore if you like. Franc

or you could try keeping your left wing sniping bullsh*t out of a car forum  and a thread for a trip that you aren't involved with.

A nice cup of Tea and some cake anyone.............................................  

Posted Images

^^^^ Yes, broadly correct ^^^^

Morning All!  Just an update that we have general consensus from my fellow "Porsche Peleton" conspirators to broaden the invite.  I also think we are firming up the arrive in Zurich for 20th June, start driving proper on 21st, so block off the diaries.  Its possible we flex this to start one day later if that is preferred. This general plan maximises week day time on the interesting roads - ie., 4 or 5 days on the interesting stuff outside weekends.

One potential issue will be hotel space if numbers mount up.  With that in mind, can anyone one with hotel recommendations please shout out.  Particularly Zurich (say within 25 km of Zurich as no need to be in the City), Salzburg (aim is to be walking distance to the centre to enable exploring and eating), St Moritz (I have only ever stopped for lunch, so open to in town or nearby).  I think we may not stay in Cortina but in one of the other Dolomite resorts nearby - for value reasons.  Last night looks like Weggis by Lake Lucerne rather than Zurich, but otherwise no change.  The upshot is we may worst case have a limit on numbers based on hotel rooms, or be forced to split between hotels at some points.  Details...

Also, I had a better look at the route last night and started to plot it in Garmin Basecamp (a job that takes a few hours unfortunately).  It still looks pretty decent to me.  There will be some parts that are "sightseeing" due to traffic and the time of day we drive them (like Stelvio and Grossglockner), but I think still worth doing.  There is very little motorway.  There is an interesting walk to the Krimml waterfalls and a longer trail run/hike if anyone fancies it.  And there is a dead end run up the Stubachtal valley (traffic free surely?) to look forward to.  Basically, its coming together nicely.

5CE074D4-6704-4223-86C2-759E23D4925D.thumb.jpeg.c40f3ab5634334891eaa52f6cc1b7a17.jpeg

Edited by Richard Bernau

When I used to go to Zurich I used to stay in the Movenpick near the airport which had a good car park and easy access. May be a bit pricey now though - Zurich is eyewateringly expensive generally!

Edited by Roy M

As you're aware Grossglockner really needs a 6am drive if you want to avoid loads of Hermann's in camper vans - for that reason I tend to stay in one of the pretty villages between Salzburg and Zell Am See to aid the get up time, You can still include a visit to Salzburg from them for sightseeing. Likewise I'd leave Zurich well alone and stay somewhere like Luzern outskirts which is ideal for the Andermatt 'junction' of Passes. Obviously this all depends on slight route adjustments to accomodate.

I like the sound of this trip - my hesitance is that we are already planned on going to Classic Le Mans, which starts the week after.  

Maybe I could do this and leave my car in Le Mans and fly back home for a week;  then drive the family out in the day van and bring the 911 home after Classic Le Mans.   Right now, it sounds ambitious! 

Please can you add me as an interested party for now?

1 minute ago, RivieraBob said:

Weesen (on Walensee) is also nice and the right side of Zurich for moving on to Austria. I'm in these places next week having arranged a small 993 group so pm if I can help.

We stopped for lunch at the Flyhof on one of the Peloton trips :signs85:

1 hour ago, RivieraBob said:

Weesen (on Walensee) is also nice and the right side of Zurich for moving on to Austria. I'm in these places next week having arranged a small 993 group so pm if I can help.

👍  There is a group of about 4 smaller hotels within walking distance in Amden just above Weesen overlooking the Lake that might be a good option as between them we could probably accommodate all.  And prices are relatively sane on booking.com.  

shouldn't we be avoiding big cities like Zurich? other than the extra expense, traffic is generally more horrific.

At Salzburg I would avoid any hotels near the station area, it was very 'migrant heavy' with groups of dodgy looking guys loitering around between the station and the old town (which surprised us, not sure if its a transit town between other destinations for that reason). The police presence made us feel it gets quite edgy after dark in that area. Old town and along the river was lovely

4 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

👍  There is a group of about 4 smaller hotels within walking distance in Amden just above Weesen overlooking the Lake that might be a good option as between them we could probably accommodate all.  And prices are relatively sane on booking.com.  

Let me know if you need me to do a recce. I could easily pop down to investigate 

5 hours ago, Northy said:

Please can you add me as an interested party for now?

Haven’t seen you in ages Lewis. Be cool to catch up 

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

shouldn't we be avoiding big cities like Zurich? other than the extra expense, traffic is generally more horrific.

At Salzburg I would avoid any hotels near the station area, it was very 'migrant heavy' with groups of dodgy looking guys loitering around between the station and the old town (which surprised us, not sure if its a transit town between other destinations for that reason). The police presence made us feel it gets quite edgy after dark in that area. Old town and along the river was lovely

Traffic can’t be horrific, Gordon’s their traffic planner and he’s sort of German so it must be efficient.....😀

1 hour ago, Ian Comerford said:

Traffic can’t be horrific, Gordon’s their traffic planner and he’s sort of German so it must be efficient.....😀

Thanks for the good PR Ian 😉, I know how popular we transport planners are.😂 I’m  good friends with the head of Transport Zürich, but I’m actually the next state along. By UK standards, the city’s here are pretty small, so traffic not so bad. I’d probably still avoid Zürich and the motorways in general.

At the right time, once the group is set in stone, I’ll do a de-brief on the finer points of Swiss speeding fines 😉

11 minutes ago, heckschleuderer said:

At the right time, once the group is set in stone, I’ll do a de-brief on the finer points of Swiss speeding fines 😉

You mean like this " "A Swedish motorist caught driving at 290km/h (180mph) in Switzerland could be given a world-record speeding fine of SFr1.08m ($1m; £656,000), prosecutors say"  

9 minutes ago, Roy M said:

You mean like this " "A Swedish motorist caught driving at 290km/h (180mph) in Switzerland could be given a world-record speeding fine of SFr1.08m ($1m; £656,000), prosecutors say"  

I don’t think that’s applicable to this group. Just want to give an honest heads up without scaring people. 

We have had some great drives here, but some common sense is needed 😉

Anyway, sorry.....back on topic. 

BA51E45E-7C63-4A2D-9ABD-0A67925EAA22.jpeg

19 hours ago, MarkJ said:

We are.  Saying "Zurich" is shorthand for the general area we will meet.  Currently looking at Weesen and Weggis as bookends.  Only city is Salzburg.

Comments noted on Salzburg.  Its not always easy to find a hotel with the perfect combo of size, location, price, security.  Happy to take recommendations...

:) 

cool, was just checking ;) city driving is a bore :)  I also remember the un-pleased looks the Swiss townies gave us all when we trundled slowly through a sizeable town last time.

Edited by MarkJ

No worries, but one more thought - trust me a bit on this.  Not my first rodeo, etc...

I will share the detailed plan and ask for feedback soon.  I spent all yesterday evening on booking.com hunting hotels and also fine tuning the route.  I found some minor tweaks that are actually big improvements BTW.  But back to hotels, the cost of hotels in CH in particular is by far the most challenging part of this trip and will make it more expensive than others.

BUT, BUT, BUT...

On the plus side, once I put it in a calendar I realised we have an extra day.  We finish on a Thursday night which is perfect for those wanting to head back to the UK for a neat 7 (ish) day trip and weekend with family, but also gives those with flex an extra day.  And do I have a plan for the extra day?  Yes, indeed.  And its awesome - predictable, but still awesome.  And lets us then scoot north on the Friday afternoon back past Gordon's gaff and get 100+km closer to home (like say Colmar) ready to plough the motorways on the Saturday.

Did I mention, I am really excited about this trip?

48 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

cool, was just checking ;) city driving is a bore :)  I also remember the un-pleased looks the Swiss townies gave us all when we trundled slowly through a sizeable town last time.

you're a worrier Mark, RB know his stuff with trips like this, he's got nothing else do while he waits for Brexit so has plenty of time for tweaking the plan (the drive, not Brexit ^_^)

RB, I had a quick google for somewhere near Salzburg, we stayed at a nice family run hotel near Bad Hofgastein, might be a bit out off route but we really enjoyed a spot of gold panning

12 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I had a quick google for somewhere near Salzburg, we stayed at a nice family run hotel near Bad Hofgastein, might be a bit out off route

^^^ I can suggest Berghotel Arthurhaus or Hotel Sonnhof near Muhlbach am Hochkonig

14 hours ago, heckschleuderer said:

I'm intending to share some personal experience along these lines too.

Both Bad Hofgastein and Muhlbach am Hochkonig mean binning Salzburg as a destination.  I don't mind the idea of having a City visit as part of the trip (adds another dimension), but I am also very comfortable with another night in the countryside and concentrate on a relaxed evening and the next day's driving.

@Dr RockArthurhaus has bowling and a swimming pond (presumably freezing alpine water)?  I am in :)