Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
GimmeShelter

Ride height - 1983 SC

Any ride height experts here?  I'm setting the ride height on my 1983 3.0 SC (UK car) prior to doing the geo (many thanks for the posts on here quoting all the castor/camber stuff, very helpful).

When we put the suspension in, we set the torsion bars so that the car looked 'about right' but maybe slightly high, on the basis that it would be easier to wind it down than up to get to the final position.  So imagine my surprise when I measured the car and compared the measurements with the official ride height specifications (see the formulae in the attached photo), only to find that the car is 30mm lower at the front and 20mm lower at the rear than the ROW figures in the specs.  Did they really set them that high?  At present, the gaps between the arches and the tops of the tyres are two-and-a-bit fingers, so I really was expecting to go a bit lower.

If anyone has any favourite settings, whether measured similarly to the diagrams in the photo, or from the front crossmember / rear anti-roll bar clamps or whatever, I'd be most interested to know.

Please note that all this is going to be prior to a trip to Center Gravity - but I want to get the car set up pretty well before I drive it there, as I need to MoT it and start running it in first and I don't want it to handle like a pig or start destroying its tyres in the meantime.  Thanks.

DSC_3757 (640x360).jpg

Wheels are 7x16 front and 9x16 rear with 205 and 245 tyres - pretty standard stuff.  And the specs in the photo are referenced to the centres of the wheels hubs anyway, so wheel dimensions don't really come into it.

If you're only going to do a handful of miles before taking it to CofG then I wouldn't worry too much about fine tune setup. I don't think the MOT really cares about the suspension geometry either.

If you fancy having a go at it yourself then the Ray Scruggs home alignment guide is perfect for what you are after.

I once set mine according to this then double checked it on a local tyre places laser alignment rig with final tweaks for not much money.

You will still love the difference when you drive the thing out of CofG though. 

I've got mine as two fingers between wheel top and arch at the front and I think one finger between the rear wheel top and arch.   I actually don't know the ride heights in mm etc.  Can measure it later on though, if you need it.  You should be able to get pretty close to it just using ride height adjusters.  As Alex said the Ray Scruggs books is really useful. 

Thank you, guys, most helpful.  I was indeed planning to use the Ray Scruggs info.

@MaxDiesel Matt, your data, above, and your thread, are very helpful - thanks.  Without going out and checking, it looks at a glance like your car is lower than mine, which, taken along with Lewis's description above, makes me feel happier about going ahead and lowering mine a bit.  Is your car on 16" wheels, by the way?

Incidentally, I've been balasting my car with three 25kg bags of mortar in the driver's seat/footwell, plus another 25kg bag on top of the fuel tank, since it's only got about 12 litres of fuel in it at the moment.

15 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

@MaxDiesel Matt, your data, above, and your thread, are very helpful - thanks.  Without going out and checking, it looks at a glance like your car is lower than mine, which, taken along with Lewis's description above, makes me feel happier about going ahead and lowering mine a bit.  Is your car on 16" wheels, by the way?

Yes - 16" wheels. At the height I'm running I'm generally fine with speed bumps etc. providing i take it easy.

Just had a look at my SC's ride heights out of curiosity - measured to the midpoint on the arches: +/- 625mm front, 605mm rear (last geometry by GCR). 

Thank you.  I got a bit tied up with other jobs on the build this week (wiring the fog lights, and fitting new exterior and interior door handles, the sun visors, interior rear view mirror, etc) so plan to return to the ride height and geo next week, but I'll be using the info above.