Chris' 3.2 Moss Green RSR replica

CQ8

This should probably go in the hot rod section but I can't post there. I've been meaning to start a thread on my new purchase for a few months and following the incredible support I received from members on here during my recent breakdown (see below) has prompted me to get on with it.

I purchased this car from Williams Crawford in February of this year.  It had been for sale for a while with them and, although I dismissed it originally, as the price came down over time I found myself coming back to it time and again. I loved the colour and the fact that the shade gives it a more subdued appearance compared to the usual brightly coloured RSR reps.

The car is an early lhd 1984 3.2 that was delivered new to Germany. Moss Green is the original colour and that stayed when the RSR kit was fitted by the previous owner. It's not a concours car, probably closer to a condition 2 car but this is perfect for me as it means I won't be too precious about using it. When I bought the car it came with a half roll cage in the back and the rear seating area was carpeted.  I wanted to change this as I have two boys and wanted to be able to take them out in the car with me.  As luck would have it, a quick search on eBay turned up a complete rear interior set in black leather: carpets, seat bases, seat backs, parcel shelf and most importantly (as it was from a 964) three point seat belts.  The whole lot was being sold by a chap local to me who had converted a standard 964 to RS spec.  Williams Crawford fitted the whole lot and it works very well.

So far I have managed a trackday at Goodwood in March which was great fun and then I took the car down to Spain in February.  Unfortunately it didn't make it due to an issue with the alternator / voltage regulator, read the full story here: 

That brings us pretty much upto date.  The car is back home in Devon and I have been using it whenever the sun is shining.  I've had a 996 Turbo and a 997 Turbo but I enjoy this so much more, despite the obvious performance deficit. This is the first running air-cooled car I've owned!  I bought a lovely yellow 1976 2.7l at a auction in 2016.  It was a Japanese market car that had just arrived in the UK and although it had been fitted with later flared arches and a 3.0SC engine, it was in great condition.  It did need a top end rebuild due to the head studs and when I was offered what I paid for it I took the decision (unwisely) to sell. That car subsequently turned up as a cover car on Classic Porsche last summer.  I knew it was a good one!

I then imported a 1980 SC Targa project from Florida last year but with a couple of other projects on the go (old Astons) I realised I would never get round to it so sold it on.

I plan a few mods on the RSR in the near future but I will update the thread as and when things happen.

Rescue me.jpg

12 hours ago, ALEX P said:

What are the near future mods you've planned?

Nothing too crazy!  First on the list is the gear change.  Driving at Goodwood was fine, I was only using 3rd and above.  But on the road, getting into first, first to second and then third down to second are all horrible! Hard to get into gear, resistance etc. For example, coming along a dual carraiageway upto a roundabout, it's clear to go so drop to second.... wait... hang on... it's in there somewhere... ah, got it, and off we go!  It's spoiling the experience at the moment although it is making me think about my driving and it's less of an issue than it first was.  I know these 915 boxes aren't the best  but if I can just get the changes abit cleaner and the lever to slot home then I'll be very happy. After lost of reading up join threads on here, I have decided to go for the Wevo classic shifter. I was over in the States visiting friends so I ordered direct and asked for the parts to be sent sent there. In addition to the shifter I ordered a PSJ coupler and Tube Guide Bush.  Unfortunately, only the latter two parts turned up when I was there.  I'm still waiting for the shifter as they have had issues with parts supply for this.  Hopefully it will be sent soon and then my friend will bring it in July when he visits the UK.

There is an aftermarket short shift kit on there at the moment but I will probably take this off.  The reverse lock it is causing the lever to lock in fifth which is not ideal when you want to change down!

I'm also going to raise the suspension a fraction so it can get over the speed bumps on my drive.  We have raised it a little already since I bought it but not quite enough, it's still grinding the towing eye.

I'm also thinking about putting the heating back in the car.  It was pretty chilly driving to Goodwood in March.  It's running a sports exhaust with headers so I need to put some (I think) SSI's in and various other parts.  I'll mainly use the car in the warmer months but it would be good to have heat if it's chilly.  I know the system isn't perfect but it's better than nothing.

22 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

nice colour. I would want some gold group4 wheels on that baby :cool:

I have thought about that, gold wheels would set the paint off nicely.  I wasn't sure if they did them in that size, I think the wheels are 11x15 on the rear?

A few shots from Goodwood.

Goodwood 4.JPG

Goodwood 5.JPG

1 minute ago, Dr Rock said:

:signs60: :P

Ha! I know, that reads abit wrong.  It's an old farm, not Blenheim Palace!

looks corking on those track shots, very nice.  Car looks ace enough on the wide fuchs, ignore me, but would also look pretty mean on some wide gold Grp4's as they really show off the deep dish.

Re, the 915 shift, I have a wevo too and it did vastly improve the shifting experience for me, especially on track. But after about 7 years of abuse I got the gearbox rebuilt by Steve at Jaz for reasonable money and its lovely and slick these days.

Looks great! Moss Green is the best colour for a 911 🙂 

You might find some fiddling with the shifter alignment will help.  A WEVO shifter and new bushes will undoubtedly make it better, but making sure it's aligned properly and has new oil will also help, particularly for the long term health of the gearbox.

Good points MarkJ and Northy.  I will look through the paperwork again but I think the gearbox was rebuilt in the last few years.

According to the advert, the engine is stock apart from turbo motor mounts, headers and a Steve Wong chip. I don't know if those last two items would add any significant power, probably not.

The brakes are stock, they are fine for road use but they started to judder after a few hard laps at Goodwood.  I've since changed the fluid but nothing else.  Suspension I'm not sure about!

I would love 300+bhp but will stick with what I have for now.

• 2 months later...

Sadly yes.

I absolutely love it and every drive has been an event. But I need to be realistic and accept it's not the right car for me at this time. I need something I can just jump in and drive all year round, I have no technical knowledge and even less time due to work/family commitments. 

It's been a great summer with it and I have no regrets but after a serious health scare last year I know that time is precious and when something isn't right for me then it's best to move on.

4 hours ago, Busybee said:

Paging Fraser, Dr Rock, paging Dr Rock this has your name all over it 😍 you'll even have some wedge left over for fuel!

Buy it as it's the most beautiful looking IB to grace this board

I’m not 100% sure about selling it, I do love the way it looks. But I know it’s not the right car for me, and that is unlikely to change.

Having done two trackdays in it, the car would certainly benefit from a bigger engine.