Due to various circumstances I haven’t been able to drive the Porsche for almost 3 months. Thought I’d give it a charge but found it completely flat measuring about 1.9 volts across the terminals.

I’m used to modern cars full of electronics which require charging every few weeks if not driven but didn’t expect it of the Porsche.

is this to be expected or do you think I have developed a battery drain somewhere. BTW, battery was replaced last year.

Richard

If you have an alarm or a radio with memory etc then you have a drain.  Big question is what size is the drain?  Best thing is to leave the car on a battery conditioner if possible.  Other option is to disconnect the neg lead on the battery but then your alarm will have no power

Don’t have an alarm fitted and no fancy audio system.

Just put it on the CTEK and it won’t charge. The error light came on! Sounds a bit terminal.

Only bought it 18 months ago and it is a Bosch S5, doubt if I will get any joy from the supplier.

Richard

I’m not sure that battery conditioners can recover a battery once it goes below a certain level, you may need a proper charger 

agm batteries recover really well 

if you can, try hooking it up to a good battery using jump leads and leave overnight.  I'm told that can recover the battery to a state that a charger can be used.

Or jump it and take it for a drive.

6 minutes ago, Phill said:

Or jump it and take it for a drive.

Make sure you have enough fuel...

If its 1.9v  its had its chips, no matter how much charging.

IMHO Varta batteries are much better than Bosch.

6 minutes ago, angusb said:

If its 1.9v  its had its chips, no matter how much charging.

:smiley-good-post-sign:

I think you need to get it up to about 10 volts with a charger and then pop a trickle charger on, trickle chargers dont normally work under about 10 volts but they may get that back going again although it will probably take 3 or 4 days

Recently recovered my  oddssey pc950  battery succesfully after fogetting to disconnect the battery . I firstly tried an a trickle charger from Aldi for two days , no joy then put my old optimate on  .The Optimate got it to 7v over a couple more days ,it may have carried on further butlthen  borrowed  a Cetek MXs 5 with a recovery mode and am glad to say its been fine since .

https://www.adverts.ie/accessories/battery-charger-maintenance-charger/15027126

Purchased one of these around 15 years ago. It’s nothing clever just a big phone charger. Red light = charging, green light = charged. IB battery stays plugged into this - frequently for over 12 months without issues, battery now over 7 years old but always starts the car and retains charge. 

I also have a optimate  hi-tech smart charger and a huge absaar charge/start box - both of these don’t want to know if the battery is showing low voltage but the budget Halfords unit seems to charge anything, happily working on batteries showing close to zero voltage. 

Had it on charge for most of the day yesterday and it only got to the second stage on the CTEK charge profile. By this time the charger was very hot and the CTEK connectors going to the crocodile clips were hot too!!

Checked voltage this morning and it stood at 12 volts. Just put it back on ‘recon’ setting to see what happens this time.

I’ve ordered a Varta replacement just in case which I believe is exactly the same as the Bosch it’s just £10 cheaper. 

Prichard

I’ve had my ~12 yr old Bosch AGM down to less than 3-4v at least 10-15 times, as it used to be parked in a lockup with no power 

It recovers to full strength each time with a basic Halfords charger (AGM compatible).  I won’t now buy a standard lead acid for that reason.

I don’t yet understand why AGM only have 3yr warranties..

On 6/16/2019 at 9:35 PM, SP72 said:

I’ve had my ~12 yr old Bosch AGM down to less than 3-4v at least 10-15 times, as it used to be parked in a lockup with no power 

It recovers to full strength each time with a basic Halfords charger (AGM compatible).  I won’t now buy a standard lead acid for that reason.

I don’t yet understand why AGM only have 3yr warranties..

My Boxster is stored in a garage without power. Perhaps every three weeks in the winter I connect a CTEK to the Boxster, connect the CTEK to a small inverter and connect the inverter to a spare 12v battery. Boxster battery is fully recharged in perhaps 6 hours and then I disconnect things until the next session. I usually get 3 to 4 sessions before the 12v supply battery has to be taken home and itself recharged. Keeps the Boxster battery fresh without the need/faff of removing it. And keeps the alarm system active.

Some day I will connect the inverter to the spare battery, the CTEK to the inverter and then the CTEK back to the spare battery. The following day I will have discovered perpetual motion. Or a flat battery. 😂

Does the garage have a window, if so you could use a solar panel, as they do on boats