TT Exhaust for Carrera 3.2

11 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

Std bit - new one already on the car as part of the last round of exhaust work.

Ah. 👍

sorely tempted with one of those. Interested to hear it when fitted. 

Nice looking kit from Rich as always.

What’s the engineering thinking behind the rectangular boxes? Being that Porsche have always been banana shaped or round/oval. 

3 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Nice looking kit from Rich as always.

What’s the engineering thinking behind the rectangular boxes? Being that Porsche have always been banana shaped or round/oval. 

I don't know the detail but Rich said it was the result of him trying to get the volume and managed gas flow he wanted.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:53 PM, MarkJ said:

He is limited in shape to what he can buy - hence the round or oval cases.  He is nowhere near the volume to be able to press out banana cases.  The important question to ask is what's inside the case.  A certain USA exhaust maker puts almost nothing inside, while Rich has a fully piped and perforated route for the exhaust to flow thru and expand into the case. 

Just an FYI, he can also open and repack them every few years to keep on top of noise.

what I wasn't so keen on is that a rectangular box will potentially be on view from behind and might not look right. Probably not an issue with normal impact bumpers and valance but more visible with RS or RSR bumpers like me.  I also like to hear the various boxes in action before buying and fitting. Shame Richard hasn't got more videos available.

Engineering wise I wondered if the new box shape allowed for each cylinder bank to exhaust its gases in a chamber above each other, then cooling and exiting the outlets. (yes ive been reading too much lately 😁 )

7 hours ago, Busybee said:

Think I need to pay him a visit with G38 Richard! 🙉😂

Yes, he will do that.  I spent a fair few hours in his freezing workshop in the past nattering and making tea while he welded the f**k out of s**t.  Good times.

• 3 weeks later...

So, 'tis on!

Had to replace the rear box strap bolts with shorter ones to allow the air control tube to sit properly. I modified the shape of the longer of the two OE rear box support straps to hold the air control tube in place.

I will properly secure the tailpipe when I have the bumper and valence back on so I can adjust its position to suit.1365161640_TTExhaust-21.jpg.935480b52fbbae5252116efc64e83444.jpg

379340145_TTExhaust-22.thumb.jpg.2f8b76c7e74e86fb8577ea5cc76f7009.jpg

178251936_TTExhaust-23.jpg.364ef07762efecf4283174f20cb63ec2.jpg

503845957_TTExhaust-24.jpg.ad84f02ecd379bad95df84f83b758876.jpg

I am hoping that the RSR exhaust for a 3.2 with stock exchangers is gonna work on my euro 84!  Not backdating the car so she will have a stock rear end...So waiting to hear if it is gonna work.  anyone know of someone using this exhaust on a stock rear end 911 please add or send photos!

Quality looks really nice!

Very little to add to this. Exhaust is on and I've driven the car about 500 miles since, including 400 miles on yesterday's mid-Wales run.

I am very pleased - sounds throaty under acceleration and quiet everywhere else. No resonances apparent anywhere in the speed range, so it's unobtrusive on a cruise.

A small note on fitting. Rich did advise me that I would need to cut off the bracket on the air control tube. I wasn't keen to do this, as it's an eye-wateringly expensive piece (think £800+) and I wanted to do nothing to the car that was not easily reversible. I found that the bolts Rich uses for the back box straps are long and these prevented the air control tube from sitting where it needed to be. Some shorter stainless bolts solved this problem completely and I was able to simply use the longer of the two OE silencer straps, with a little bit of re-shaping, to secure the air control tube. All good :) 

TT-1.jpg.3b60fdc5db8395f41bc6e3a3aa822ded.jpgTT-2.thumb.jpg.9116be7df3c95b5e6d6e371871da5e05.jpgTT-3.jpg.deccda08ff12fa9f042869a87e072d43.jpgTT-4.jpg.9b837d7b89796bda7beaf54b86d084ef.jpgTT-6.jpg.a86054ce95ad838cce18b1e798b03932.jpg

Edited by Chris_911