Tyres for 16” Fuchs 8 and 9’s

Busybee

1 minute ago, SilverWT said:

Might be relevant on a heavy FWD car, but not on the light front of an IB.

I run 225/45 16 fronts on track, 205/50 16 fronts on the road and 245/45 16 rears on both track and road.

They were going down the insurance angle. 

Amazing how these threads take off and head in certain directions.  I think you have got back on track with the sidewall and overall diameter stuff, but lets redirect on a couple of points.

You 100% can run 205s on an 8 - I ran 205/50s on those 8s for years.  And 225 on the 9s.  With 50 profile, you have a ton of sidewall compared to say 18s and the stretch is not obvious.  The stretch is also good to tighten the tyre carcass up a bit.  If you go for 245 rears, then look for 225 fronts, but the 205/225 combo on that car works well on the road and 225/245 great with sticky tyres for the track.

I may be in the minority, but I think that sidewall to width is more important than overall diameter.  If it was me, I would run 50 profile at both ends, or 45 profile at both ends if you can find them.

I wouldn't run the T1R on that car - its simply too soft in the sidewall.  I would look at the Contis if you want a 245 rear for the road - they are adequate in my experience.

I saw a black/orange 3.0RS rep this morning runing Pirelli Corsas - that would be a mega tyre for that car.  Also v expensive and short life.

5 hours ago, proporsche said:

sp..951 are mine;-) regular 8th would not work as you have said;-)correction.. what do i know about regular 8th on front ??never had them so it might work ...;-)

Ivan

28 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Amazing how these threads take off and head in certain directions.  I think you have got back on track with the sidewall and overall diameter stuff, but lets redirect on a couple of points.

You 100% can run 205s on an 8 - I ran 205/50s on those 8s for years.  And 225 on the 9s.  With 50 profile, you have a ton of sidewall compared to say 18s and the stretch is not obvious.  The stretch is also good to tighten the tyre carcass up a bit.  If you go for 245 rears, then look for 225 fronts, but the 205/225 combo on that car works well on the road and 225/245 great with sticky tyres for the track.

I may be in the minority, but I think that sidewall to width is more important than overall diameter.  If it was me, I would run 50 profile at both ends, or 45 profile at both ends if you can find them.

I wouldn't run the T1R on that car - its simply too soft in the sidewall.  I would look at the Contis if you want a 245 rear for the road - they are adequate in my experience.

I saw a black/orange 3.0RS rep this morning runing Pirelli Corsas - that would be a mega tyre for that car.  Also v expensive and short life.

Thanks Richard. Made up my mind on Conti's. 225/50's up front, 245/45's at the back. Have Conti's on my SC and they are pretty good for road use. I'll keep those pretty worn 888's for a track day maybe. 

So, 225/50s rub the arches ☹️. Your hunch was spot on @SP72

Called my local tyre fitters and they offered to lend me a set of budget 205/55’s to try and mounted them for free. Bit of a faff getting them onto the 8” rims but they got them on. 

Came home and bunged them on the car. Fine. No rubbing. So I’ve got to get a set of conti 205/55’s to marry up with the 245/45 rears. It’s alright to run 205/55 fronts and 245/45 rears right?

Car felt more nimble up front on my couple of mile test run with the budgets.

Why don't you just skim the front adaptors down a bit, that way you can put either tyre on the front?

Every car is different on what tyres you can fit depending on what ride height / geo you are running so there is no hard and fast rule for what fits and what does not. This applies even more so to wide bodied cars as the arches vary as does the amount of lip rolling/removal.

2 hours ago, ALEX P said:

Why don't you just skim the front adaptors down a bit, that way you can put either tyre on the front?

Every car is different on what tyres you can fit depending on what ride height / geo you are running so there is no hard and fast rule for what fits and what does not. This applies even more so to wide bodied cars as the arches vary as does the amount of lip rolling/removal.

Cheers Alex. Think it’s just a simpler fix to go with the 205/55 fronts. Camskill suggested the tyre sizes to be fair with the push on n rating so they may help a bit. 

Car felt lighter to turn with the 205’s up front. Richard had used them before on this car without problem. Visually, very little difference from the side of the car and I maintain the wide stance. 

Hi Jev/IB community, Can someone send me that link by IM of the company selling the SO2 around £350 a set pls?

Anyone going to the rennlist thing at Donny next weekend? Boydy

1 hour ago, Boydyrs said:

Hi Jev/IB community, Can someone send me that link by IM of the company selling the SO2 around £350 a set pls?

Anyone going to the rennlist thing at Donny next weekend? Boydy

These guys?

http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Bridgestone-Potenza-S02/205-55-16

http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Bridgestone-Potenza-S02/225-50-16

• 10 months later...

General consensus (if there is such a thing here) for 16" wheels seems to be 205/50 for the front on a 7" and for the rear, either 225/50 on an 8" or 245/45 on a 9".

20 minutes ago, PeterK said:

General consensus (if there is such a thing here) for 16" wheels seems to be 205/50 for the front on a 7" and for the rear, either 225/50 on an 8" or 245/45 on a 9".

205/55 on the front

225/50 on the rear

Both available in N2 rating if required

As this resurfaced again yesterday.  Certainly you can run the factory sizes - 205/55 & 225/50 - or the factory 930 sizes - 205/55 & 245/45 - in whatever brand or flavour you prefer.  And nobody will criticise.  Even N spec if so inclined.

My experience on that car moved me to preferring two sizes on the 8/9x16s it ended up on.  For the road, the Bridgestone RE002 in 205/50 & 225/50, gave enough grip, a stiff enough sidewall and good progression.  For the money, unbeatable.  And I would say they would be perfect on a narrow IB on 7/8s.  For faster road or track you can't beat an R tyre (Toyos worked well for me and others used Kumhos back in the day when we all did track days).  I liked 225/45 & 245/45.  Say what you like about feel, but for grip and turn in response, you can't beat a nicely stretched 225 with short sidewalls.

For Daisy specifically, I chased suspension set up for many years.  Primarily because the front torsion bars are arguably too stiff vs the rears (even though vs stock, the rears have increased in stiffness by a greater percentage).  At the time 22/29 was the go to, but in hindsight 21s on the front would be better IMHO.  Hence always looking for the max front camber and anything else I could find to eek out more front grip in order to move the balance rearwards.  Hence also running the rear ARB in its stiffest setting and never worrying too much about having the rear wheels spaced right out while the fronts I pushed as wide as possible (you can run 2 x 7mm shims instead of 20mm spacer if clearance is an issue - long studs make this easy).  I did at one point also run 225/50 & 245/45 Cup1s on 7/9s under narrow bodywork.  That also worked very well indeed, so I am splitting hairs on tyres sizes.  They will all largely do the job.

This is all ancient history right - Haith has his Contis now.

23 hours ago, drmurugti said:

Sorry to hijack your thread, what tyre sizes would you recommend for 16x7 and 16x8 Fuchs. I was recommended 245 45 16 for the rear but am having trouble finding the tyres for the rear down in Tassie.

Thank you all!

Unless you are on track, you really won't miss having a 245 vs a 225.  Modern tyres are so good compared to 1980s tech that you have more grip with a modern 225 than an old 245.  The Bridgestones I used will be available in your hemisphere and I think there is a Michelin PS4 in 225/50 & 205/55 that would be unbelievably good.