Impact Bumpers

Hi All

Recently purchased a 997. Mechanically spot on (until it blows up) but paint is poor. It has been a daily driver for 10 yrs. I don’t have the cash for a respray so was thing of getting it wrapped. I have no experience of this. Does anyone here.

Many thanks.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not speak to Jim Cameron at Mission Motorsport, his guys wrapped a very nice Integrale for Wheeler Dealers (or similar show).  If you don’t know him I can do an intro

Thanks, Ian. I’ve helped a number of our injured lot in various ways but have never looked at the Mission Motorsport website. Makes my quest for better paintwork seem hugely irrelevant. Will call them. Thanks.

Is the paint damaged or just tired?  Might be worth looking at getting it professionally mopped/detailed.  That can often bring the paint back from the dead.

I wouldn't bother.  Let it wear its battle scares and look its age with grace.  Then you won't ever be afraid to use it.

My 987 goes anywhere, gets parked anywhere.  Hasn't been washed since its 2200 mile jaunt to the Alps in September.  Its a joy.

No point in wrapping it if the paint isn’t mint. And if the paint is good, it’ll likely get pulled off in places when the wrap is removed in the future. And the wrap doesn’t cover 100% of the paint and you will get chips in the non wrapped paint :twocents:

Thanks everyone. Have decided not to do anything with the paintwork. There is something rather appealing about a well-used, slightly tatty 911.

I’ll spend my limited funds on keeping the car mechanically sound and use it a lot without worry!

Great advice as ever from fellow IBers.

Sam

I would potentially look at a 2 stage detail - you’d be amazed how well red paint can be recovered. 
The last stage usually includes a UV protectant, which stops its turning pink (/rubystone).

A well sealed car makes cleaning much much easier too

Thanks SP. The 997 is blue and think it’s a respray or nothing. But my IN is red, so good info all the same. Many thanks.

Sam

56 minutes ago, Planty said:

Thanks everyone. Have decided not to do anything with the paintwork. There is something rather appealing about a well-used, slightly tatty 911.

I’ll spend my limited funds on keeping the car mechanically sound and use it a lot without worry!

Great advice as ever from fellow IBers.

Sam

Good call Sam. It's always a worry if a car is too pristine. You end up being scared to use the bloody thing. My red targa is too good to use too much to be honest. I spent a bit on some paint issues this year and have done less than 500 miles in her since. My hotrod on the other hand has chips and rash. I use her all the time and have clocked 4000 miles since July. 

Just saw Shirish's post. Yup, a really good machine polish and ceramic coating will give the paintwork a new lease of life and make it durable, easy to keep clean and blingey. I'm ceramic coating my cars with Feynlab stuff. Looks awesome and has come recommended by a couple of detailers.