What year did rear seat belts change?

993porky

Quick question are cant find any info on, even in all the many books i have.

which year did the rear seat belts change from lap belts to 3 point belts?

looked in books from peter morgan and surprised nothing mentioned also 3.2 book by tony corlett nothing in, unless ive totally missed it.

thanks Paul

It may not be directly related but my 1985 car only ever had the lap belts from factory but the threaded hole to provision for the 3 - point belts is/has always been there.

I don't know if it was an option to 'upgrade' from 2 - point to 3- point back then but it does make it a lot easier that you don't have to mess around with adding the 3rd shoulder point retrospectively.

Cheers ALEXP 

mine is 85 but as daft as it sounds cant remember what it has in and car has been away get restored for a while,so couldnt look at it,and its nearly ready for collection.

so need to make sure its ok for 3 year old (nearly 4)

do yo know if lap belts are ok for car seats or does it need t be 3 point?

thanks Paul

Well i called into the garage today to check the car and it has 3 point belts, all looks factory fit, so i presume it must have been an option back in the day, now i need to find a car seat to fit in 

I took advice at the weekend and bought a new one from the In Car Safety Centre in Milton Keynes.  A Maxi Cosi Rodifix fits in the back, but you need to change the receiver/buckle for a shorter one. It’s also a seat that uses the normal 3 point belt, so the child needs to be over 15 kg.

Hope that helps. 👍