Recommended Oil

oo7

Hi,

I checked my oil yesterday and it's getting close to the low marker.

Considering this is my first time adding oil to this car, can someone recommend:

A - the best oil for it

B - how much should I put in

C - i presume you can put the oil in when the car is cold (unlike checking the oil when it needs to be at operating temperature)

Thanks in advance for your help.

I top up when checking the level when it's hot.  I think the difference between the low and high marks is 1 litre.  So you should be fine with about adding 1 litre whilst cold.

Best oil is very subjective on here, last oil change I used Valvoline vr1 20w50, but topped up with Millers 10/40 semi yesterday.

I've used various brands over the years but I've probably used Millers Trident 10/40 semi synth the most.

Just on the subject of oil changes (not wanting to enter the debate on grades, viscosity formulation etc) the last oil change I carried out I put a big 30 litre + container under the crank case drain, remove the plug and let the contents flow out, then move the large container to the tank and put a smaller 8 litre container under the crank case drain to catch the drips. I left the car dripping away for over a week. When I got back on it I was surprised to find that the small container under the crank drain was almost full. This caused a slight problem as the 10 litres of oil I had purchased for the job was insufficient but if you wait long enough it will obviously drain the long oil lines and cooler.    

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I was talking to a mechanic work works on a lot of the older Porsche's, and he said he gets his oil from Porsche too. I'll get the brand and makeup from him later and add it to thread, if it is of any use to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

All, I finally got my hands on the right oil (Millers 10w 40). It was surprisingly hard to get in Dublin.

I’ve tried searching online and on YouTube for how to top up the oil, as I want to make sure I am doing it 100% right.

Can someone point me in the right direction. Am I right in saying you just pour 1 litre into the yellow cap? 

Thanks for your help.

Run the car until fully warm, so 10 miles or so. Park up on the level and with the engine still running, remove the yellow cap and top up the oil until it is about in the middle of the marks. Once you know it is correct, make a note of the dashboard level indicator and next time that drops below the noted level it is time to re-check with the dipstick. Never rely 100% on the gauge, the dipstick is the only accurate measure.

Chris.

12 minutes ago, oo7 said:

Great, thanks Chris.

I wasn’t sure if the car was supposed to be running or not, so thanks for explaining the above, much appreciated.

Do read your handbook, lots don’t.

1 hour ago, SP72 said:

Do read your handbook, lots don’t.

To be fair, the handbook is not totally clear that the engine should still be running when you pull the dipstick. Not as bad as some of the Jap handbooks I’ve seen though..dread to think what a Chinese one would make of it.

3 hours ago, GrahamTompkins said:

To be fair, the handbook is not totally clear that the engine should still be running when you pull the dipstick. Not as bad as some of the Jap handbooks I’ve seen though..dread to think what a Chinese one would make of it.

Yes agreed, I was insinuating that if the owner doesn’t know the oil fill method, there may be other things they may not know which are contained in the owners manual.