Hidden speakers

ALEX P

I want to fit some hidden speakers, maybe under the dash. I refuse to cut holes in my doorcards so before my car became luxurious with carpet and sound deadening I cut holes in the sill blower covers and mounted a pair there for a bit which kinda worked ok until I put the sill blowers back in and then there wasn't really much room for the speakers.

I've got an underseat sub (which I haven't yet fitted) so probably only really 'need' mid & tweets but don't mind fitting coaxials or whatever really. I don't want to spend loads of money and it's never going to sound great because my car is noisy but when I think about what you can get out of tiny ipod docks these days or little bluetooth speakers then there must be something half decent that fits into a small compromised area....

Any ideas?

What size of speaker did you originally mount in the blower covers?

I was hoping I could use a pair of 3.5in speakers (with a spacer if required) in the sill covers to prevent cutting holes in my new RS door panels.

Just need to find a pair that come with acceptable looking grilles.

7 hours ago, ALEX P said:

I want to fit some hidden speakers, maybe under the dash. I refuse to cut holes in my doorcards so before my car became luxurious with carpet and sound deadening I cut holes in the sill blower covers and mounted a pair there for a bit which kinda worked ok until I put the sill blowers back in and then there wasn't really much room for the speakers.

I've got an underseat sub (which I haven't yet fitted) so probably only really 'need' mid & tweets but don't mind fitting coaxials or whatever really. I don't want to spend loads of money and it's never going to sound great because my car is noisy but when I think about what you can get out of tiny ipod docks these days or little bluetooth speakers then there must be something half decent that fits into a small compromised area....

Any ideas?

facing down from underneath the glove box space? using that space to help as a speaker box

Not the answer you are looking for....

If you can bring yourself to cut holes in your door cards you get a suitable mounting location to make the most of the challenging acoustic shape of a car. I fitted elasticated net door pockets over these. Great for toll tickets or track day documents. Photo's clearly show the speaker but in the real world, they are quite hidden.

A2627F8F-0E62-4593-AA14-CDAB2BCA3369.jpeg.51f6a1e0e504680b55446d7e5fafc4fb.jpeg

7 hours ago, mean in green said:

Just using a bluetooth speaker doesn't appeal then? 

One of my door speakers has been kaput for a few years. A noisy exhaust makes it all a bit academic doesn't it...

Not really. I've got one of those VDO head units with bluetooth so just want some discrete speakers. The noisy exhaust means I'm not chasing audiophile pleasing sound. Just want to play some tunes and run my phone through the head unit.

5 hours ago, Phill said:

What about the rear shelf?

I don't have a rear shelf as such anymore. I put an RS-ish carper kit in there and added rear seats on top. Same applies for the rear quarter cards, they're just carpet now. 

5 hours ago, DavidH said:

I upgraded the ones on the rear shelf with new covers and didn't bother with any after replacing the door cards... not perfect but works well enough

Yep, two speakers would be fine for me too. Just not on the rear shelf.

3 hours ago, Anil said:

What size of speaker did you originally mount in the blower covers?

I was hoping I could use a pair of 3.5in speakers (with a spacer if required) in the sill covers to prevent cutting holes in my new RS door panels.

Just need to find a pair that come with acceptable looking grilles.

I just transferred my old door speakers so they were 5.25" or 6.5" I think. I've stuck a photo at the bottom of this.

1 hour ago, BenC said:

facing down from underneath the glove box space? using that space to help as a speaker box

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of. I know it's not ideal that it's pointing at your feet but there looks to be space to fit something there. You can get tiny speakers that belt out sound these day albeit at the expense of any bass but that can be taken care of with the underseat box.

16 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

Not the answer you are looking for....

If you can bring yourself to cut holes in your door cards you get a suitable mounting location to make the most of the challenging acoustic shape of a car. I fitted elasticated net door pockets over these. Great for toll tickets or track day documents. Photo's clearly show the speaker but in the real world, they are quite hidden.

A2627F8F-0E62-4593-AA14-CDAB2BCA3369.jpeg.51f6a1e0e504680b55446d7e5fafc4fb.jpeg

That's quite a neat solution. Can't bring myself to cut up the cards though :cry:

20190113_163726.jpg

Probably a silly idea but what about using something like a Bose revolve speaker from your phone? Easy to get a 5v supply to and ours works well at home so may work in the car?

Alex, I have a pair of 'Ultimate ears' Wonderboom bluetooth speakers. Deeply impressive for their size, so perhaps the larger 'Megaboom 3' model mounted against the bulkhead forward of the gearstick? They are USB chargeable so you could arrange a switched supply to charge it although it's only audio input is bluetooth, so you would have to pair it with the head unit and your phone. For even more discrete location, try same place but higher up behind the ashtray.

Chris.

12 hours ago, Chris T said:

Alex, I have a pair of 'Ultimate ears' Wonderboom bluetooth speakers. Deeply impressive for their size, so perhaps the larger 'Megaboom 3' model mounted against the bulkhead forward of the gearstick? They are USB chargeable so you could arrange a switched supply to charge it although it's only audio input is bluetooth, so you would have to pair it with the head unit and your phone. For even more discrete location, try same place but higher up behind the ashtray.

Chris.

Something like that probably would do the job quite well but I think I'm just going to try sticking some small (maybe 3 - 4" speakers under the lower dash pointing at the floor, maybe mounted on a bracket or plate.

If it sounds rubbish then I will either live with it or come back to one of the suggestions above.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I think you’ll struggle to find enough depth for any speaker under the dash. 

I can’t recall another car where the front bulkhead IS the underside of dash.  It’s a real pain for a lot of stuff like this. 

All speakers no matter how tiny require being in a sealed box or else the sound coming off the back largely cancels the sound from the front as it's out of phase. This is most heard in the bass frequencies where the sound is more omnidirectional. ie. tinny little speakers will sound even more so when not in a sealed box.

Chris.

6 minutes ago, 70sThrowback said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am looking to change my speakers too, but as the cards are already cut will do a like for like change. They are 6.5" speakers. Has anyone done this recently and any recommendations out there?

I just fitted a set of cheap and black 6.5” pioneer 3 ways in my SC (had metallic orange Edge speakers in there before which were just gross). I’m really impressed. For under £30 delivered from eBay, they sound amazing. Not b&o or Bose quality but in a noisy IB, fab. 

Price looks like it’s gone up but you might find them a few quid cheaper. I paid just under £28 for them delivered. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113233994167

1 minute ago, Busybee said:

I just fitted a set of cheap and black 6.5” pioneer 3 ways in my SC (had metallic orange Edge speakers in there before which were just gross). I’m really impressed. For under £30 delivered from eBay, they sound amazing. Not b&o or Bose quality but in a noisy IB, fab. 

Price looks like it’s gone up but you might find them a few quid cheaper. I paid just under £28 for them delivered. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113233994167

Cheers Haith, have found loads out there, but wanted someone with real world experience. Thanks.

1 minute ago, 70sThrowback said:

Cheers Haith, have found loads out there, but wanted someone with real world experience. Thanks.

👍 you can’t really go wrong for £30. Just make sure you screw them in nice and tight and you’ll be amazed by the sound quality. Grills were a fiddle to push in but just take your time. They’re a bit flimsy. 

Have you seen this thread @ALEX P? http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/949395-show-me-your-stealthy-speaker-stereo-install.html

I want some tunes in RB’s old car, now my new car. It’s loud though and I love the headless look. Kind of fits the car. Something that I can run off my phone would be cool.

Shirish has hidden door speakers. Just a few holes in the door card with the speakers mounted behind the card. Pretty stealthy especially with black alcantara door cards.  I just wonder how useful speakers in the traditional sense would be in loud cars.

Maybe a really good set of in ear Bluetooth headphones are the way to go and cut out the in car stereo all together. Anyone use those? . 

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

Have you seen this thread @ALEX P? http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/949395-show-me-your-stealthy-speaker-stereo-install.html

I want some tunes in RB’s old car, now my new car. It’s loud though and I love the headless look. Kind of fits the car. Something that I can run off my phone would be cool.

Shirish has hidden door speakers. Just a few holes in the door card with the speakers mounted behind the card. Pretty stealthy especially with black alcantara door cards.  I just wonder how useful speakers in the traditional sense would be in loud cars.

The Pelican thread is interesting Haith. Those Moch-1 under dash was the sort of thing I had in mind but I doubt they cater for RH drive cars and would probably cost a fortune to ship over if they did.

http://www.moch-1.com/UNDERDASH.htm

I've seen SP's door cards & they are nicely done but I'm leaving my cards as they are. I've never really liked the idea of driving with music playing earphones in. Not sure what the legalities are, I mean deaf people are allowed to drive but that's not the solution for me.

Right now I'm thinking of an under seat woofer (because I've already got one) and some flat midrange/tweets. I'm not looking to spend lots of money so was looking at these Pyle sunvisor jobbies but I would just stick them on a surface under the dash area not on the visors.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=372693864485&category=179671&pm=1&ds=0&t=1563016484790

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172590620512

• 2 months later...

Just to close this out. I put an Alpine under-seat sub in and put a couple of 4" JL Audio speakers under the dash either side of the ash tray mounted on a piece of plywood.

For what I need it for it works just fine and is pretty stealthy so job done.

thumbnail_20190922_150911.jpg

1 minute ago, Dr Rock said:

You knees have ears :rlol:

Yeah, I know but even when you stick them in the doors they only play music to your ankles or shins. Stick them in the rear quarters and they play music to you arrrr5e so.....

The sound is actually not too bad. It was always going to be a compromise and at least I now have some audio & hands free phone :)

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I haven't hooked up is an aerial. I've got a heated screen so can't go with the windscreen mount. My head unit isn't DAB so don't need one of those but do want a hidden/internal aerial. I have just bluetoothed it from my phone but ideally can't flick through the stations when driving like you can with a head unit.

Any suggestions? What are you lot using?