Impact Bumpers
TimNiceBut

C3.2 with SSIs, heater duct question

I'm finally getting around to start working on my garage ornament '89 Cabriolet that I bought in January. First job is to address the various rattles, tuneup issues and other assorted running annoyances.

Re the rattles - the car has been converted to a (3.0?) SSIs, 2 in 2 out muffler and most of the emissions equipment has been removed by a shop that seems to thrive on almost good enough work. Yay. It's also an a/c car with somewhat more complicated ducting.

Anyway, the up pipe into the top of the engine bay doesn't seem to fit into the rubber boot on the topside (too small - see photo) and rests on the exhaust underneath. I guess that's part of the rattles.

911-heater-connector.thumb.jpg.0f7e18cff803544fb02e82c0969a789f.jpg

The above is with the jubilee clip on the rubber boot completely tight, so it's clearly not the right diameter. The diameter on the upper part of the J pipe is stepped up, but not enough.

Is this just a matter of going to an exhaust place and get them to bend me a new piece and widen the top to the correct diameter, or is there a nicer/neater way of making this adapter? The heater ducting already has a T-piece in a different place so this is really just a 90-ish degree bend.

And yes, unfortunately it looks like this splendid work is indicative of the quality of work/mods on this car. Not that I had any delusions otherwise.