Flexible brake line life?

Ian Comerford

Currently looking at jobs I did a while ago that may be in need of doing again and next on the list is the flexi brake lines.  I changed these back in 2001 and fitted Goodridge stainless braided ones. I can’t feel anything wrong with them but given that they can, apparently, swell internally with age and restrict flow is 18 years a good time to replace.  I think the answer is yes as it’s not a difficult or costly job.  There seems to be more choices of braided lines now so would you go Goodridge, Hel or some

Thank you

Other than the corrosion resistance of stainless, nickel plated steel has better properties for fittings on a brake line. On a daily driver stainless probably wins but on applications subject to frequent clean / inspection plated steel may have the edge.

Most brake component manufacturers spec a maximum life span usually around 10 years. 

With braided hoses, the plastic liners are doing all the work and will degrade over time.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished all of the above but had a bit of a faff with the bleed nipples.  I’ve got a Halfords Pro 9 and 11mm brake pipe spanner but it’s fairly bulky and whilst you can often get it onto the bleed nipple it’s too big to turn without interfering with other bits of the caliper.  Does anyone know of smaller profile brake pipe spanners? 

Thank you

Ian

Not sure off the shelf Ian, but ground a brake spanner down to reduce its profile and gave it a bit of a bend too to help fitting.  Not much around the nipple and caliper body.

10 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

I’ve got 3.2 calipers and discs

Why do you ask Chris?

I was trying to recall whether I had experienced any issues with bleed nipple access with my brakes. I didn't think I had. I think I have a set of Bergen tools.

20 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

If you are having trouble with the bleed nipples then you haven’t been changing your brake fluid regularly....:smash:

Every two to three years as usual.  The difficulty is in opening and closing the nipple with a bleed tube attached.

5 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

The difficulty is in opening and closing the nipple with a bleed tube attached.

I use a small ring spanner, avoids any chance of rounding the flats.

After initial loosening to just closed,  put the ring spanner on with the handle orientated to allow half a turn to open/close, then put the bleed tube on. The bleed tube clamps the ring spanner in place. Works for me OK on both ends of the SC and 3.2 and also on the Boxster fronts now on the 3.2.

Mark

Edited by SilverWT