Dashcam dilemma

Roy M

On my daily I have a dashcam. I bought it as we travel through France and Spain regularly and wanted to have evidence if we ran into any issues.

Yesterday I was recklessly overtaken (double white lines leading to a blind brow) by a total moron who then tailgated cars in front of him and did another stupid overtaking manoeuvre.

I've got all of this recorded and know the local police have a facility to upload footage.

Big part of me thinks it's 'not cricket' but chances are this idiot is going to cause an accident soon and I wouldn't want that.

Any thoughts?

I don’t know whether it’s true to say but it does seem to be on the increase. Read about a London cyclist who is aiming for a thousand prosecutions this year, based just on his own footage submitted to the Police.

Everyone makes mistakes from time to time and there may have been a reasonable excuse for their lunacy. At the same time they could just be a stupid idiot who does it all the time and they deserve to be prosecuted. Question is Roy, do you have the time and inclination to upload the footage, make a statement and then quite possibly spend a day at court. Maybe it's not a matter of time but an overriding sense of civic duty. As you say, what happens if they kill someone next time? 

Hand on heart, any of us never overtaken and thought sugar, that was a close one? I think the slow brigade are half the problem.

Yesterday I was in a queue of traffic following a motor home on the A483 from Newtown go crossgates. It’s a cracking road full of twisties. This motorhome was towing a box trailer. Biggun. Must have been 25 cars behind it all doing 30-40 miles an hour. I was say 7 cars back so had no chance of gunning past so I was watching the guys one and two cars behind the portapotty on wheels. You could see their frustration mounting as the miles ticked by. Hanging out, tailgating and generally getting peed off that this dude was holding everyone else up without a care in the world. Few places he could have pulled in and let the traffic past but no way. 

I digress but sometimes frustration builds and it makes you overtake in situations you would otherwise think better off. 

Or he could have been a total **** and should be locked up 😂

Thanks all - agree with the sentiments expressed here. If this had been a 'close call' or a slight misjudgement I would have just muttered 'f*****g idiot' and forgotten it but it was a very dangerous manoeuvre which wasn't necessary at that point - roads were very quiet and there were well sighted overtaking opportunities coming up as well as a short overtaking stretch within half a mile (car was a local garage courtesy car so I would assume driver knows the road)

My wife is on the 'don't get involved' side but I did point out to her that if a truck had been coming over the hill we would inevitably been involved in the subsequent collision.

Will consider more but believe there will be a time limit so may be too late anyway.

I suggest report it and hand it over to the police and leave it up to them. A statement does not have to be long.  

I experienced something similar a few years ago. I think we can all appreciate we can all make mistakes or can misjudge a situation.  However, the car I saw overtake me on double white lines around a bend, was just pure negligence. 

If one of our family was killed or injured by such negligence , how would we feel?

just my 2pw ....

M  

I love it when I get a appreciative flash of the lights from a car I've just overtaken, I like it even more when they point at their dashcam to let me know they are going to upload it to the youtubes so I can watch my perfect overtake when I get home! 

Let's just hope Northy doesn't still have his dashcam footage from the Wales run lake route circa '08 :whistling:

"Well that's just stupid !"

:lol:

Edited by GaryH

Not a fan of dash cams, they’re dangerous to those around them. Most of the accidents you see on YouTube are filmed on dash cams - that can’t be a coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damned I am - reviewed the footage that I saved (and the subsequent footage which was still on the memory card) and decided there was an accident waiting to happen (and actually may have later) so I've started the process of submitting it.

If the driver has some mitigation it's not for me to check but for the authorities. 

I am, however, considering removing my dashcam in this country!

As a serving member of one of the emergency services with over 30 years experience and a DVSA approved driving instructor I've seen more death and destruction on the road that many, as recently as yesterday. Driving standards and attitudes are appalling and as usual its a minority at fault.

There's an interesting range of responses here and im surprised how many have said don't report. A safe and legal overtake can be a thing of beauty but what was described here was dangerous driving.

I'd report it, my family and friends use the road and theres no place on the road for driving like this. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes but i can hand on heart say, I've never crossed a solid white to overtake approaching a blind summit.

Too many people think having a licence is their right - it's not, it's a privelage that shouldnt be abused.

Just my opinion, not critisising anyone elses opinion - just sayin'

Great, so everytime we overtake some jobs-worth driver doing 33 on a 50 we can be all over the news :rolleyes:  i come across drivers daily who are like creeping death in their snail like pace and dithering decision making that it drives me insane some days, and its getting worse. :banghead:    I'm still convinced these drivers are worse than the odd nippy driver as they just drive along in a friggin day dream rather than having your senses on alert. Having said that, there are also complete selfish pr*cks on the road who pull dangerous dick moves in stupid places. (usually driving an Audi or SUV on a school run 😉  )

I agree Mark. I ride a motorbike or a pedal bike for as least as many hours a week as I do on 4 wheels. You get to see a lot of other car drivers on every journey. I see incidents like those highlighted above every day. I get to see almost every kind of dangerous driving, lack of awareness or observation. I get to see blatant speeders and blatant slow-coaches. None of these people will get nicked, yet dare to do 35 on a section of road that some do-gooder has deemed to be a 30 limit and you will be! Only 25% (we are told) of accidents are attributable to inappropriate or excess speed, so what are the Police doing about the vast majority, the 75%? Nothing it appears.

I am fully supportive of dash cam evidence to nick idiots driving dangerously, but fear that one dash cam user's perception of dangerous may be different to another's. Example; on an uphill road near me I know very well I overtook a Jag. This enraged the driver (who thought it was dangerous, it was not, I KNOW that road and KNOW there was nothing coming and I was within the applicable national speed limit) so much so he saw fit to chase me down, corner me in a car park and shout abuse at me over my driving, risking my passenger's life etc. If he had a dash cam and that attitude, I may well have some points as a result.

Rant over, Chris.

chaps, i know what you are saying and it drives me mad too but speeding around in built up areas (i.e. 30mph zones) is not great however brilliant a driver you are - have you been on a speed awareness course? that extra 5mph makes all the difference when trying to stop in order to avoid that collision i was shown....i was naughty naughty boy. 

Chris - i have had a very similar experience to yours recently, angry driver getting out of car etc etc only in my case, sadly, i think he had a point!

Dash cams? Soon we'll all have cameras embedded into our eyeballs and don't get me started on thought crime.....you'll be busted just for thinking about taking you IB out instead of doing your weekly chores.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:04 PM, craigt said:

As a serving member of one of the emergency services with over 30 years experience and a DVSA approved driving instructor I've seen more death and destruction on the road that many, as recently as yesterday. Driving standards and attitudes are appalling and as usual its a minority at fault.

There's an interesting range of responses here and im surprised how many have said don't report. A safe and legal overtake can be a thing of beauty but what was described here was dangerous driving.

I'd report it, my family and friends use the road and theres no place on the road for driving like this. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes but i can hand on heart say, I've never crossed a solid white to overtake approaching a blind summit.

Too many people think having a licence is their right - it's not, it's a privelage that shouldnt be abused.

Just my opinion, not critisising anyone elses opinion - just sayin'

I agree with this entirely Craig.

Hopefully the jobs-worth driver comment wasn't directed at me.

I agree that driving too slowly is almost as dangerous as driving to fast.

I think the point is there's a difference between safe, legal spirited driving and driving like a total c*ck!

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

(usually driving an Audi or SUV ... 😉)

That was a good guess - used to always be BMW's didn't it!

Can't post at the moment but will sort out a still of the incident in a couple of months to show this was VERY dangerous - if it's luck rather than judgement which prevents an accident there's something wrong somewhere.