Impact Bumpers

Am new to the 911 world so hoping this is not an issue !

Just been on a run to Silverstone Classic, on the way there oil tank reading on the gauge in the car kept dropping until it stopped just above the red on the motorway. Oil pressure was fine, reading around 4 on the gauge, checked the oil when I got there, reading just under full on the dipstick. Did same thing on way home but I stopped at services after about 45 minutes, by the time I parked gauge was reading just under full again. Checked oil when I got home and again just under full. Took oil tank cap off, was bit of a vacuum which I assume is ok.

So something to worry about or not ?

Thanks, Kev

This is an 87 911 Carrera Sport

Oil tank sender's are notoriously unreliable. Could be broken or it could simply be a loose connection. Clean and check the connections as a starting point.

Checked the connections they are all fine. Gauge is working fine on normal roads, only does it on motorway at a steady speed. Oil level is just under full when warm so thats all good & tip of dipstick when cold so thats all good. Dodgy sender unit ?

The level drops when you’re on the move and bounces around based on revs (oil pressure). If it’s ok when you’re stationary on the fiat and at idle, it’s fine. Always check with the dip stick though. When at operating temp and running on the flat. 

More of the oil is in the engine on the move so the gauge typically reads lower than when idling and stationary, when the more of the oil is in the tank hence the gauge then reads higher - normal for a 911.

Kevin, the bl@@dy oil tank gauge is a source of amusement! Keep pegging away at attempting to get it to function correctly as a personal challenge!, but please keep in mind that this is Porsche’s secrete joke! Mine is working wizzo just now, but I do not hold out too much faith in it’s future accuracy as it has had it’s moments over the years! RELY ON THE DIPSTICK AFTER A SPIRITED RUN to determine the oil level.......the usual drill, ‘level surface, idle for a few minutes as you open the engine cover, couple of wipes and re-insertion of the dipstick to double check. Oil level preferably half way on the stick markings’. Pour yourself a stiff drink and sleep easy knowing that the life-blood in your car is tickety boo!.....look on the gauge as you drive with mild amusement ........it’s working great........it’s thrown a wobbly........it’s undecided .........it’s bl@@dy useless!!! Please pay attention the the oil pressure gauge and the engine temperature, these are all you need.......other than if you drive a Turbo and one then needs to pay attention to the fuel gauge as it drops like the proverbial lead balloon!

David.    

Sounds spot on, they all do that. Just under full is a bit too much though, take it down to halfway at most.