I notice the rear demister only heats/ clears the centre part of the Targa rear window (Carrera 3.2 1984).

I have the one stage switch (single click out) that also twists, and heated mirrors. To be honest, I'm not sure if any more of the rear screen ever cleared since I've had the car.

Questions:

1. Should this car have the two stage pull switch, or is that only the older cars?

2. Is this as simple as the second relay failing in the solid state box?

3.(a) I think this only activates the three (?) window sections when voltage is over a set point, and

3 (b) may (?) also have a timer for one section?

4. The "twist" in in or out position is just to activate the heated mirrors right?

Thanks!

Targa screen should be 2 stage, something like 150 watts then 300 watts, hence the 2 position switch

1 hour ago, Type911 said:

Targa screen should be 2 stage, something like 150 watts then 300 watts, hence the 2 position switch

Ahh... So I have the wrong switch installed? I wonder if I install a two stage in place of one stage, is the wiring the same or has this been meddled with in the past...

You have the correct action switch.

The twist action activates the second stage, the heated mirrors are on with either stage.

That is how my '84 coupe works and what it says in the driver's handbook, which covers all variants.

Mark

4 hours ago, SilverWT said:

You have the correct action switch.

The twist action activates the second stage, the heated mirrors are on with either stage.

That is how my '84 coupe works and what it says in the driver's handbook, which covers all variants.

Mark

Thanks!

That probably means the relay or (gulp) wiring are bad. I might just replace the relay and see what happens.

• 1 month later...