Impact Bumpers
Busybee

Alcantara steering wheel refurb

Anyone have any experience in cleaning an alcantara steering wheel. Mine looks a bit flat in the pile

is it alcantara or suede?

Vid below shows using a brush to revive a suede wheel which I have done in the past but I think its better if you clean some of the hand cheese off first before using the brush (obvs leaving it to dry before brushing)

Assumed it was alcantara @jevvy. No idea how to tell the difference.

Watched that vid last night. Boy his wheel was bogging. Must have a nervous disposition or be a getaway driver to get that much crud on it 😂

Mine is nowhere near that bad. Just flattened off and smooth in the usual ten to two position. 

Think I’ll just try a damp microfibre and gentle brush. Gave a suede cleaner under the sink with a plastic bristle top to the can. Might try that. 

Its RB’s car wheel. 996 Cup wheel I think (complete with racing buttons! Disconnected unfortunately) 

11 minutes ago, Busybee said:

No idea how to tell the difference

Taste it. If it tastes like a cow its probably suede, if it tastes synthetic its probably alcantara ;)

Alcantara is a suede-like material that you’ll find covering seats, interior trim and steering wheels. It was developed in the 1970s as a durable and long-lasting synthetic alternative to animal products

33 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Taste it. If it tastes like a cow its probably suede, if it tastes synthetic its probably alcantara ;)

Or try the flame test. If it melts it's alcantara. If it burns it's suede.

2 minutes ago, sopor said:

Or try the flame test. If it melts it's alcantara. If it burns it's suede.

Slightly more destructive but probably more conclusive than the taste test :D

Come to Impact Bumpers they said. Full of knowledge and helpful advice they said 🤣🙈🙉

Back for a one time special visit...

its IB Friday!!

Used to belong to Anil, I’d definitely get it cleaned

I used a suede brush on my old Martini.

The other method is to drag a knife vertically left to right, but this is for hardened crustiness.

2 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Used to belong to Anil, I’d definitely get it cleaned

I used a suede brush on my old Martini.

The other method is to drag a knife vertically left to right, but this is for hardened crustiness.

🤣 Ta Shirish. Domestos it is. 

I've got a couple of brushes in varying grades of harshness. From ohh that's a lovely tickle to what the f! Is it Suede of alcantara do you know? 

34 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Come to Impact Bumpers they said. Full of knowledge and helpful advice they said 🤣🙈🙉

Hey, if you think you might not like the answer then don't ask the question!!!

😂

In an attempt to be helpful (and thereby changing the habit of a lifetime) if you can't find out via any other means can you remove the wheel from the car and carefully peel back some material on the backside of one of the spokes to see what the backing looks like?

I thought the blade method too - a Stanley blade, dragging at ninety degrees to the blade's "cutting" line.

23 minutes ago, sopor said:

Hey, if you think you might not like the answer then don't ask the question!!!

😂

In an attempt to be helpful (and thereby changing the habit of a lifetime) if you can't find out via any other means can you remove the wheel from the car and carefully peel back some material on the backside of one of the spokes to see what the backing looks like?

I'm sure it saw a blade of grass and mooed. Whatever it is, a damp cloth won't kill it I guess

1 hour ago, mean in green said:

I thought the blade method too - a Stanley blade, dragging at ninety degrees to the blade's "cutting" line.

I did this, whilst it works, it does remove a layer of the material.

Alcantara will become flattened again after a few months.

Before

20416A85-9381-4F12-8541-BBB7DC350C40.jpeg

Wiped the wheel over pretty well with a damp cloth. Found the best way was to warp it around the wheel and twist it around the wheel rim with my hands. Bit of force helps. Then I brushed with a soft nylon brush. Not much effect. Then I brushed gently with a brass brush, better. Then I went at it with the damp cloth again. Few times if each and it is better. Sprayed my suede protector on there and it deffo feels rougher in the hand. Not the perfect new suede/alcantara feel but as SP says, that’s never going to last anyway. 

F6F67CBB-CC89-43D9-B2A6-61709021F8E1.jpeg

713482C1-4DC3-4BDF-9D00-C326B57619EB.jpeg

606A6678-B7A5-46C5-8132-AB360014DC46.jpeg

Nice work. You gona wire those buttons up to the horn or what!

9 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Nice work. You gona wire those buttons up to the horn or what!

Ta. Horn no worky at the moment. Be great to hook the buttons up to horn, headlights etc but no idea me

Those look like hella rip-offs, quality wont be great.

Are your horns missing? if not have you tested them with a 12V feed?

If its deffo the horns there are some decent hella lightweight ones you can get if you dont want factory stuff.

Not yet. I'll try the horns themselves on a battery. RB said the one was dead a while back so guessing the other passed away too. 

The factory horns are just silly money for what they are. Hella should be ok and might save the weight of a pack of crisps. 

On 8/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, jevvy said:

Those look like hella rip-offs, quality wont be great.

Are your horns missing? if not have you tested them with a 12V feed?

If its deffo the horns there are some decent hella lightweight ones you can get if you dont want factory stuff.

Horns off today Jev. They both work off the battery! Result in one way but now I’ve gotta trace the fault. Loose connection on the horns themselves maybe. Could be the relay I guess. Hmmmm 

I had to replace my horn relay a year or two ago so worth swapping it with another one to check.

8 hours ago, sopor said:

I had to replace my horn relay a year or two ago so worth swapping it with another one to check.

I’ll be checking today. Can’t be much to the horn circuit. Power, switch, relay, horn. Quite pleased the buggers work. 

Out with PCGB today. Got home, watched the rugby, **llocks.

Went out to the garage to sort my horns. Hooked em up and went to change my relay. No relay #3 in the fuse board! Wtf! Anyway, put one in and off it went. All worked including both air horns. No idea why relay #3 was removed. 

All had a really good clean and dinitrol so not a totally wasted exercise. 

All I can say on the horns is that I don't think this one was me.  Horns worked for me, but I suspected it was only one of the two working as it was always pretty ineffective.

I loved the steering wheel and wish I had kept it, but it was well worn from day 1 in my custody.  You can bring it back a bit as you have found.  Harsh truth is probably that leather is better than suede unless you have race gloves on.  I would buy it back if you ever decided to change...