Impact Bumpers
sopor

Cleaning headlamp reflectors

I’m looking to disassemble the standard H4s on my car to clean the reflectors and have searched for instructions on how to get the headlamps apart.

so far all I have found is this old thread: 

for which I have extracted

“To strip the headlight for cleaning (over the years grime finds it’s way into there) make a careful note (or take digital photographs) of the position of the lense retaing springs. Once you are happy with what you are doing carefully unclip the retaining springs and wash the inside of the lense in soapy water. In my case I also had to unscrew the extremely long headlight beam adjusting screws, mark their positions with an indelible marker and refit as near to the current position as possible, It may then be an idea to get them correctly re-adjusted at an MOT centre to avoid dazzling other road users. Take care to put the springs back in as near to the original positions as possible and refit to the car. For the virgin headlight remover the refitment of the headlight may cause you to wonder how it stays on there. The single large screw at the base of the headlight is enough to attach it to the wing as the retaining surrounding ring effectively ‘clips’ it into position and once tightened does the job, if a little eccentrically so!”

any other tricks or tips before I attempt this?

I tried to clean an old reflector a few years ago - I ruined it! The coating came off on the cloth. Tread with care.......

With Craig on this, unless its a spider what ever on the reflectors won`t budge without taking the silver with it.

A option if the reflectors are really bad, is good set- of matching auto/ manual- 964 units.

Re-silvering is really expensive. You have been warned.

4 hours ago, Phill said:

Re-silvering is really expensive. You have been warned.

I have. Didn't help much though. 😂

A quote from Ashford chroming for nickel plating came back at £216. That said not sure nickel plating is the right answer.

New reflectors can be bought for €150 plus shipping from Germany. They're LHD; from previous posts I gather the RHD reflectors are subtly different but does anyone know what the real world effect is if using LHD reflectors with RHD lenses?