Impact Bumpers
Busybee

Track day wheels and tyres

Thanks @Richard Bernau, @WP0ZZZAnd @SilverWT. Will keep my peepers peeled. No idea what offsets id need to be honest. Original narrow bodied banana arms with huge spacers at the moment. 

On 8/24/2019 at 4:28 PM, SilverWT said:

There is a set o Ebay that might have the right offsets for a wide bodied IB...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183928712552?ul_noapp=true

Mark

Thanks Mark. Ohh 10” rears. Probably need to skim my rear spacers.

would the following fit guys? Guessing I need to take a front and back off to see what my offsets are. 

FRONTS:
8.5J x 16 ET56 
RS131

REARS:
9J x 16 ET36
RS018

Those Fikse wheels are very good quality wheels.   They will be 9s and 11s.  The tyres are 12 years old.  Its all ex-USA kit as you can't buy R1s here (in EU) and Fikse are American.  You could run something like 245/275 on 9s/11s which is still more than you need but is more sensible.  I have 225/275 on my 18s for the turbo and haven't felt undertyred, though I had someone else driving it recently who is a better driver than me and they felt it needed Cup tyres or similar.

13 hours ago, Busybee said:

Thanks Shirish. Wow. Some serious rubber on those rims 

Indeed, a nice find - might be a decent option for you and they look effing jeffing brilliant!

That seller has another set on eBay 

Cheers fellas. Have massive spacers behind the wheels. Can I go any wider with thinner or no spacers and still find tyres? Also, are the newly available again Fuchs not a good track choice? New, light.... 

If you want to stay on 16's then Fuchs can work but limited tyre options, 17's opens up tyre choices quite a bit.

You will have to look at clearance on the inside of the wheels to see if you have space for more width, I think you will always need a spacer of some sort unless you custom build some wheels and even then they may need more of an outer dish that is sensible.

Wider isnt always better, unless you add some weight to the car you will probably find you have less grip if you go too wide. 

5 minutes ago, jevvy said:

If you want to stay on 16's then Fuchs can work but limited tyre options, 17's opens up tyre choices quite a bit.

You will have to look at clearance on the inside of the wheels to see if you have space for more width, I think you will always need a spacer of some sort unless you custom build some wheels and even then they may need more of an outer dish that is sensible.

Wider isnt always better, unless you add some weight to the car you will probably find you have less grip if you go too wide. 

Less grip on wider tyres. What is this trickery you talk of Jev!? 😜

To be honest, the existing tyres are fine for my skill level. Haven't managed to break the rear out except on that track day and that was a good bit of fun. Its flipping planted as you like. Yesterdays run through the welsh hills was such a blast. Expected caravans and all the usual bank holiday rubber neckers but I had stretches of open road all to myself! Keep thinking I should send @Richard Bernau some beer for putting together such a sorted car. Good job Richard! I get home and keep thinking what a machine. If your 930 is better than this, I want it! lol 

Those Fikse Rims look lovely. Bet they're a bas**rd to keep clean with the hundreds of inside faces. You know I'm OCD right?! 

24 minutes ago, SP72 said:

That seller has another set on eBay 

Awesome Shirish and a good bit cheaper. You da finding stuff man! Ta

1 minute ago, Busybee said:

Less grip on wider tyres. What is this trickery you talk of Jev!? 😜

Tyres need weight to push them into the tarmac to create friction (grip).

If you spread the weight of the car over a wider tyre there is less weight per cm2 and eventually you end up with less grip.

Just now, jevvy said:

Tyres need weight to push them into the tarmac to create friction (grip).

If you spread the weight of the car over a wider tyre there is less weight per cm2 and eventually you end up with less grip.

Few big macs will sort that right out! 😂

I get it. Less pressure per cm2 but more cm2 so I guess the rubber works less and will be cooler for a given load. Guess that means you can push them harder! 

8 minutes ago, jevvy said:

That's especially true in the wet/snow.

In the dry it's another story...

Yeah, it gets complicated.  You struggle to get heat into wider tyres unless its dry and hot, so they may never work as well as an "optimum" size.  Your contact patch is also no larger if the pressures are equal, but you do get a better shape contact patch and it deforms less, up to a point.  And potentially, you can run wider tyres at a lower pressure, again up to a point.  Its not like there is no benefit from wider tyres, but its not clear cut.  And then you have the downsides of increased tramlining, heavier steering, increased unsprung weight, cost etc.

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

Keep thinking I should send @Richard Bernau some beer for putting together such a sorted car. Good job Richard! I get home and keep thinking what a machine. If your 930 is better than this, I want it! lol 

Hold that thought.  I am confident there will be an opportunity to share a beer or 2 at some point.  I am glad its all working out.  

I should update the 930 thread at some point - its developing further.  Ultimately, its a lot faster than the 3.2, but has a similar on limit feel/balance.

21 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Yeah, it gets complicated.  You struggle to get heat into wider tyres unless its dry and hot, so they may never work as well as an "optimum" size.  Your contact patch is also no larger if the pressures are equal, but you do get a better shape contact patch and it deforms less, up to a point.  And potentially, you can run wider tyres at a lower pressure, again up to a point.  Its not like there is no benefit from wider tyres, but its not clear cut.  And then you have the downsides of increased tramlining, heavier steering, increased unsprung weight, cost etc.

Hold that thought.  I am confident there will be an opportunity to share a beer or 2 at some point.  I am glad its all working out.  

I should update the 930 thread at some point - its developing further.  Ultimately, its a lot faster than the 3.2, but has a similar on limit feel/balance.

Yup, imagined it might be complicated with wider rubber. What's not complicated is that wide rubber looks cool lol 

Working out beautifully Richard. 3k miles in 2 months says it all. The Wayne remap and the pop, bang, pop has added a new fun dimension and she pulls so well. Not crazy fast but WOT certainly brings the horizon closer a lot faster than a stock 3.2! lol

What else did you have planned to improve handling (if that's possible) or increase shove?   

Gearing would have been next for me - shorter 2, 3, 4.  ITBs if you want to chase hp.  Possibly 1mm smaller front torsion bars - 21mm - and rebuild and revalve the bilsteins a tad softer.

That was all aimed at alpine type road trips though.  For track, just change the pads and add sticky 225/245s as the rest works pretty well.