Running woes

Evening everyone,

I've had a few challenges with my 78 SC today, so I'd appreciate some advice.

I've recently experienced some starting issues with my car, where the car would happily turn over, but wouldn't fire.  I sent it off to RH Classics, who look after it and once on the low loader it started without any issue, having been tilted as it was winched up.  The reason for the non starting remains a mystery.

But today, whilst on the A1, the car started to lose power and there followed an almighty bang and the car coasted to a halt.  We pulled off the air box cover to find the pop off valve open, but the car refused to restart so it's been recovered home care of the RAC. I spoke to Williams Crawford, who supplied the car and they're going to refer to their CIS guy for any inspiration on what the problem might be.  The fuel pump appears to be working, but the car just won't fire.

I'm aware of the air box issues with SC's - does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should be looking at first?

Thank you in advance.

Marsh

Also interested in your comment that you found the pop off valve open, it should not stay open as there’s a spring to keep it closed. Is yours installed the right way round?  Check that the glue holding the valve in place hasn’t broken

Thanks Gents - we did carry out an inspection of the airbox at the side of the road and it appears to be intact, but we will check again now it's safely back in the workshop. 

Ian - we'll also check the valve too.  What I didn't mention (and it might have no relevance to anything) is that the car is a very early Japanese market SC, so it might carry a slightly different specification to UK cars in terms of emissions equipment.

My strong instinct is that the fault is small and most likely to be electrical - a sensor perhaps?

Thanks everyone for sharing their views - it's most welcome.

Lee 

Thank you; that's worth knowing.

In the first instance, I'll let my guy, Richard at RH take a look, as the car is currently there and he's good. 

He does knows his way around older 911's, but if for any reason there's too much head scratching, I have a plan B and C in place. 

Thanks all - very much appreciated!