EB Motorsport narrow SC/RS bumpers

WP0ZZZ

I'm thinking about getting a set of narrow-body fibreglass bumpers inspired by the SC/RS that are manufactured by EB Motorsport. 

Has any of you fitted them to your cars? If so, would you mind sharing a few pictures of the car.

Those are pictures from their website but I'm having a hard time at getting an idea about how the full car looks like:

911 SC RS Front Bumper (Narrow)

911 SC RS Rear Bumper (Narrow)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 1:16 PM, 786 said:

Not yet. I'm still pondering whether the weight benefit is worth it compared to the chances of deforming the chassis in an impact.

What's the general opinion around here about fibreglass bumpers? Is there a significant loss in bumper effectiveness?

There’s a total loss in bumper effectiveness, but they are almost no weight at the ends of the car, so they make a noticeable difference to performance/handling.

Just now, Dr Rock said:

There’s a total loss in bumper effectiveness, but they are almost no weight at the ends of the car, so they make a noticeable difference to performance/handling.

That was my feeling... If I'm not mistaken they represent about 35 kg of weight saving and a reduction of moment of inertia. The gains are appealing... 

4 hours ago, WP0ZZZ said:

Is there a significant loss in bumper effectiveness?

No.

Two reasons.

1. IB bumpers are so low 90% of modern vehicles will ride straight over the top of them. An even higher % of those that will do most damage, e.g. HGVs, SUVs and Delivery Vans. I hit an Audi A6 from behind at a relatively low terminal speed, the nose of my SC just went under it's bumper. No damage to either car luckily.

2. A decent fg bumper acts as a crumple zone if it does hit something at the same height. I have personally crash tested a front fg bumper, at speed, against the pit wall at Brands Hatch in my 3.2. Bumper more or less disintegrated, absorbing a lot if energy, with little damage to the rest of the car. I'm convinced there would have been more damage with the std bumpers.

There are threads, including a vid of the incident, on here if you do a search.

Mark

5 hours ago, SilverWT said:

No.

Two reasons.

1. IB bumpers are so low 90% of modern vehicles will ride straight over the top of them. An even higher % of those that will do most damage, e.g. HGVs, SUVs and Delivery Vans. I hit an Audi A6 from behind at a relatively low terminal speed, the nose of my SC just went under it's bumper. No damage to either car luckily.

2. A decent fg bumper acts as a crumple zone if it does hit something at the same height. I have personally crash tested a front fg bumper, at speed, against the pit wall at Brands Hatch in my 3.2. Bumper more or less disintegrated, absorbing a lot if energy, with little damage to the rest of the car. I'm convinced there would have been more damage with the std bumpers.

There are threads, including a vid of the incident, on here if you do a search.

Mark

Interesting. I'm more interested in protection against walls and armcos like in your point 2.

For the fibreglass bumpers to be somewhat effective, did you mount them onto the stock bumper tubes?

50 minutes ago, WP0ZZZ said:

For the fibreglass bumpers to be somewhat effective, did you mount them onto the stock bumper tubes?

No, "L" shaped ally brackets bonded to the back of the bumper and bolted to the bumper shock mounting holes.

Mark

I drove mine to be painted with the factory bumpers removed. It was surprising how much more nimble the car felt even just across town, the weight reduction being immediately apparent (and my car’s not heavy at just over 1,100kgs).

I did refit rather than replace with lightweight alternatives though, once it eventually returned from Paint Jail.

3 minutes ago, Beaky said:

It's a shame EB sports don't make (or do they?) shortened  alloy tubes to mount their bumpers?

The mounts are not hard to get made...

18 minutes ago, Beaky said:

It's a shame EB sports don't make (or do they?) shortened  alloy tubes to mount their bumpers?

Aren't they just a length of ally tube squashed on the ends and drilled? 

7 hours ago, Busybee said:

Aren't they just a length of ally tube squashed on the ends and drilled? 

Probably and hence my surprise the likes of EB don't offer them as part of a kit?