It's that time of (3-4) year(s) - MOT failure

Top tip when doing rear wheel bearing:  Pay someone else to do it.

One of the most frustrating jobs I have ever started (note, not done!) on a car.  Hub nut resisted my impact gun's efforts, but managed to get a stronger bar on it and it cracked free after a bit of extra scaffold pole persuasion.  Mine is the castellated nut with a spilt pin, so supposed to be torqued up less, which was not what mine was 🙁  So far so good.

Seized brake pipe, the nut seized to the pipe, managed to spin the caliper off.  New part needed.

Rounded allen head on, you've guessed it, the last bolt on the driveshaft.  12 point 12mm socket hammered over the head did the trick.  Allen heads are bad enough most of the time, why they get used in such exposed, crud collecting areas is beyond me.  New part needed.

Removing driveshaft - how do you do it without the whole CV joint falling apart?  There is no room that I could see to just drop it out, had all sorts of manoeuvres to get it out the way.  Upshot, missing a ball bearing 😡 The boot also wasn't secured at either end so not ideal. New part needed.

3+ hours to get the hub off.  Unless you have a lift or tall axle stands, there is no room to swing a hammer properly. Good news is the knuckles on my left hand stopped the hammer damaging the arm on a number of occasions 😫

Rest of the bearing won't budge.  Going to have another go at it this morning.  If it still doesn't move, I'll have to take the arm off and get it into a garage. 

Nightmare. I just done of my drive shafts and they are easier in the SC but still a bugger to get back on on your own. Ruined one gasket and the grease gets EVERYWHERE!! Mind you the CV joint shouldn't fall apart? Something wrong there. Stick with it, imagine how good you will feel when you've done it.

2 hours ago, jevvy said:

Did you warm the arm while you had pressure applied to the puller?

Another top tip:  Remove the brake mounting plate 😂 

I thought I might have to take the banana arm off so did a bit of Googling.   Saw a bare arm on Ebay and thought, 'mine doesn't look like that'.  So spent a few minutes giving it all a good clean and my f*** up became clear :homersimpson: .  Another 2 new parts needed (one of the nuts is shagged as well).

All completely stripped now, got some new gas for my torch, so will have a crack at it later.  Mrs J has some gardening for me first.

41 minutes ago, Fuchs915 said:

Saw a bare arm on Ebay and thought, 'mine doesn't look like that'.  So spent a few minutes giving it all a good clean and my f*** up became clear

Brilliant, well done! Sounds like you skipped the "look at the parts diagram" phase of the project :)

Brilliant, well done! Sounds like you skipped the "look at the parts diagram" phase of the project [emoji4]

It’s not shown on the drive train diagram, it’s on the brake diagram but not a great image if you ask me [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, with the brake mounting plate off, a little bit of heat with the new gas cylinder, took me all of 3 minutes to get the bearing out :D  Decided to call it a day on this job for now, did a bit of gardening and then got the dremel out and cut the bearing race off the stub axle.  Some more new parts on order, MOT re-scheduled, so should all be ready in a couple of weeks.  Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Cheers

Kevin

Hang in there Buddy, all things are possible and what seems daunting and draining, eventually the light comes on at the end of the tunnel! Satisfaction big time and smug in the knowledge that that particular job will not need redoing for the foreseeable future.

David

Well done Kevin. I didnt even attempt this so hats off to you (in my defense I did replace the rear bearing in the 924 but I did have both arms off the car). While you have the drive shafts off the car might be an oppo to strip clean and regrease with new boots and bolts?

Did some more stripping and cleaning this weekend.  I am planning to keep the old CV boots.  No splits or cracks and the material feels superior to the new boots.  I know there was some debate on this a while back that suggested quality of the new boots is inferior so old boots cleaned up, lick of paint on the metal to afford a little protection and will be reassembled during the week, before refitting.

Good plan Kev. My old boots were fine but I thought belt and braces approach was best so fitted new ones which have a much thinner flange plate, necessitating some moon washers the spread the load. The originals lasted 35 years and were still sound. I replaced the new ones after abut 3 years as one was torn. Wish i have cleaned and re-used the old ones now. Do use new bolts all round though :signs85:

Good plan Kev. My old boots were fine but I thought belt and braces approach was best so fitted new ones which have a much thinner flange plate, necessitating some moon washers the spread the load. The originals lasted 35 years and were still sound. I replaced the new ones after abut 3 years as one was torn. Wish i have cleaned and re-used the old ones now. Do use new bolts all round though :signs85:

Thanks Les, new bolts, gaskets, etc going on

Busy day today.  Wheel bearing fitted.  Got set up, bearing removed from freezer and installed.  Got a bit tight towards the end, so applied a little heat to the banana arm and it eased in nicely.  If using the bolt up kit shown a few posts up, I found using an extra disc or 2 helped alignment, ie drop a small one between the one doing the pushing/pulling.  That probably makes no sense written down, but it made it easier for me.

PyyEkJH5TriNdYukepq0tQ.thumb.jpg.ff1bee8f6c4fc018d41cf5745296106d.jpg

Next, to install bearing covers and handbrake bits.  New backplate from OPC, front plate cleaned up and a dusting of stone chip...

1415024672_NFEN9Q3IQjyR1vBSFezJw.thumb.jpg.754f71192fb91672d60d1a03ce132d2c.jpg

Hub went in nice and easy, gave it a spray of some thin lubricant to help.  Driveshaft was messy - the grease does stick like the proverbial to a blanket - but went in easier than it came off, difference was I kept the hub separate.  Cut a M10 peg from some threaded bar to make alignment easier.  Disc and caliper back on, replace hard brake line, adjust handbrake, button it all up, wheel on, lower to ground.

Moved to the front and replaced the calipers, about 40 minutes each side. 

5wai8dbRStG51E6AZ1wnPg.thumb.jpg.ac789c31c38f713253a1f6245739e1fb.jpg

So, tomorrow is bleed brakes, sort wipers and windscreen washer, do a couple of little tidy jobs that I spotted and then fingers crossed for the re-test.

So, went out to take the car off for her retest this morning and the battery is completely dead. Started and ran ok on Sunday, this morning - nada. Small jump starter on it and off to test station. Their jump start pack got a fair bit of use! Handbrake is binding a bit on one side so need to adjust that a little but she now has a ticket. Off to get a new battery. Phew!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.