Winterising

Busybee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For what it’s worth, the heating on my sadly missed Turbo was really good, it would roast one’s toes on footwell setting, good demising on screen and all settings in between. For the amount of negative input on what are really old technologies compared to modern systems, please give Porsche a break , if it was when properly set up, not too bad at all in my humble opinion. In saying that, modern systems do not require checking of the cable operation on the flapper valves operation, integrity of the cladding on the heat exchangers, heat sensor on the n/s/r flapper valve, integrity of heater hoses, interior heat sensor behind the mirror and the operation of the centre control consul, and all blower motors. If all tickety boo, .....you’ll have controllable HEAT!

David

Some good advice coming out (and some not so good - because some of you don''t know details of what is in this car and what has been removed.

Certainly check everything is connected and flappers working (they should be as they were good).  Its all controlled on the autoheat by the handbrake, so ignore the dash controls (they do nothing) and air only goes to the screen.  Next step is talk to TT and see if he can do anything.  Please don't go SSIs - its lots of £££ for an exhaust that isn't right for your car.

What I had for heating was enough to clear the screen and provide just a little heat.  If you went heated screen and directed the heat at your feet instead of the screen and added seat heating pads, you would be fine.  

I managed to drive in subzero temps with just a warm jacket and thick sox - it wasn't that bad.

2 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Some good advice coming out (and some not so good - because some of you don''t know details of what is in this car and what has been removed.

Certainly check everything is connected and flappers working (they should be as they were good).  Its all controlled on the autoheat by the handbrake, so ignore the dash controls (they do nothing) and air only goes to the screen.  Next step is talk to TT and see if he can do anything.  Please don't go SSIs - its lots of £££ for an exhaust that isn't right for your car.

What I had for heating was enough to clear the screen and provide just a little heat.  If you went heated screen and directed the heat at your feet instead of the screen and added seat heating pads, you would be fine.  

I managed to drive in subzero temps with just a warm jacket and thick sox - it wasn't that bad.

Cheers Richard. No chance I’m changing the exhaust. It’s the AS in the ASBO! Lol

It was pretty chilly yesterday morning when I set off  and the screen misted initially. Turned the autoheat on and it cleared pretty quickly. Trickle of air. Wonder if a little footwell blower sucking more air past the heat exchangers would improve the volume of warmed air coming into the cabin. 

Heated elements in the drivers seat are a great way forward I think. I’ve no experience in fitting these or how they are fitted and connected up.

Think I’ll go heated screen. Have agreed with my insurers that I can buy a screen, seal and get it fitted in different places and they’ll aggregate the cost and cover it. 

Pone thing at a time I guess. Easier stuff first. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought occurred to me about this winterising thing. Could car wrap be used to hug the underside of wheel arches and the underbody to prevent crappy water ingress? Mad idea? Treat everything with Dinitrol ML or the like first then wrap the hidden bits. 

RE winter use - I use my car through the winter and have done for 10 years. I avoid going out on salty days but in "greater" London the temp rarely gets much below freezing. The kidneys etc were done about 7 years ago but they were rotten when I got it. I have inner arch liners which are just brilliant. I remove these and dinitrol/waxoil the sill seams, wing lips etc etc to death every few years. I did a pre-winter check the other day and couldn't see any issues at all. IMO wrapping it could cause more issues BB because you would inevitably trap moisture - a good thrash on a crisp winters day would be much more effective. I suppose what it boils down to is what you can be arsed to do in terms of preventative treatment.

• 4 weeks later...

For god's sake just use the thing and wash off the salt after a good drive with a solution of something like this in your jet wash foam nozzle.

https://www.rust.co.uk/product/chlor-x-salt-remover-81

I dynaxed my arches and kidneys a couple of years ago [1], and occasionally use in winter (on a nice crisp day) and the kidneys, sills etc. are as good as they have ever been. I think a little exercise, even if just once a month, is better than whatever the bearded MGB brigade do with 90psi in the tyres and a full tank sitting in the garage for 8 months of the year, as long as it's not ridiculously horrible outside. Most years I have a boxing day drive over the Malverns 😉 

Seems like Richard's base treatment will be a good enough start - don't try and 2nd guess by wrapping the thing or use peel off stuff, you'll just provide opportunity for water to sit between that barrier and the body, instead a base of tried and tested products (which you already have) plus accept you'll get salt in nooks and crannies and neutralise it afterwards instead.

Enjoy it, roads are quieter in the winter.

[1] https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28718-red-devils-blue-devil-32-carrera-hot-rod/&do=findComment&comment=349204

Edited by reddevil

Calm down dears. Only spotted it.

Sound advice. Thanks. I’m looking at getting a lift so I’ll be getting down and dirty under the arches. 

That washer looks fab SP. I’ll use it on the dogs!

Little blast out today after work in the autumn sunshine. #LoveThisCar #Mental

C2EDEC32-7512-4AF0-ADEF-89896A9F29EE.jpeg

53D32196-4875-4446-A1E2-1B79157BA619.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Busybee said:

😂 Hey, don’t think I’m up to the epic journeys you undertake.

Eating too many chips, that’s your trouble :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Busybee said:

What’s your longest trip Doc? 

2 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

Eating too many chips, that’s your trouble :rolleyes:

And now I've got to try and get to sleep having had 2 dinners. The hotel came with evening dinner, so I had the schnitzel (Gordon would have been happy). Trouble is, after 2 Carlsbergs on an empty stomach I decided I wanted Hungarian beer and goulash. Which I have now had, along with more schnitzel and chips 😜

11 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Pizza with me in Maranello via Greece 😎

Ahh, yes. One of the highlights. That was 2012! :blink:

10 hours ago, Busybee said:

And now I've got to try and get to sleep having had 2 dinners. The hotel came with evening dinner, so I had the schnitzel (Gordon would have been happy). Trouble is, after 2 Carlsbergs on an empty stomach I decided I wanted Hungarian beer and goulash. Which I have now had, along with more schnitzel and chips 😜

Not any more...:P

celery-1.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.