Impact Bumpers
Merv

Different AC question -electric

Refurbishing my existing system seems a bit like restoring an old car.  It was never a great system in the first place.

Is anyone using an electric compressor and associated components?  Would be most interested in the details, if so.

Thanks

Merv

Thanks for that.  I assume they are parts only prices.  How does the system actually function?  How effective is it?

Yup and bring the big wallet 😜

3 minutes ago, Merv said:

Thanks for that.  I assume they are parts only prices.  How does the system actually function?  How effective is it?

Ask @Jonny Hart

It does have some good reviews but the alternator may need upgrading and the battery +ve terminal temperature issue is a minor concern.  The choice for this hotter climate would seem to be to replace/upgrade the existing system with ist flawed original design, go for a hybrid of some existing components and the electric compressor or the full Monte of the electric system.  The high cost associated appears to be a negative in the latter case.

1 minute ago, Ian Comerford said:

Jonny does offer a 90A alternator 

150 Amp?

14 minutes ago, SP72 said:

150 Amp?

Some number that’s bigger than standard and is up for the job.  Sorry!

9 hours ago, Merv said:

It does have some good reviews but the alternator may need upgrading and the battery +ve terminal temperature issue is a minor concern.  The choice for this hotter climate would seem to be to replace/upgrade the existing system with ist flawed original design, go for a hybrid of some existing components and the electric compressor or the full Monte of the electric system.  The high cost associated appears to be a negative in the latter case.

I'm sure Jonny will be along in a moment, but as I understand it ......

As a lower cost / hybrid option, you can just replace the old compressor with an electrical compressor, new drier, etc, with a new alternator being recommended.  I'm following the Pelican thread and have only noticed one comment about the temperature of the battery connection.  The clever bit is the smarts within the compressor controller - it always gives as much cooling as it can until you're at the right temperature, but ramps back when other systems are consuming a lot of electrical power, etc. to protect the battery.  If you go the whole hog and replace everything, the neat part of the new air distribution is that along with all new stuff, you also get air recirculation - take the part cooled internal air and cool it further, rather than just cooling the hot outside air.

I was in Jonny's car at Le Mans last summer - his aircon was a worthwhile and welcome option 😎

Peter

11 hours ago, Merv said:

@Merv.  With our full kit, you get EVERYTHING except some 60m duct (air is expensive to ship).  £3690 + taxes  including the alternator.   Our 'half kit' with the alternator would work out at £3,190 + taxes but your evaporator must be in good working order.  £100 shipping to the US.  

Our kit does not use any of the Porsche components whereas other kits can require you to refurbish original plastic parts that are often fragile due to age  I would recommend you get quotes from vendors of other AC systems bu make sure the quote is for everything you need.   I was quite surprised by this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/1151925-griffith-s-air-conditioning-kit-in-a-sc.html

I saw the PP post about the battery post temperature.  Yes, compressor cables get a bit warm.  I have had my system installed for 3 years now.  I actually run a small Odyssey PC925 battery with no issues.  

11 hours ago, SP72 said:

150 Amp?

Actually it is a 175A alternator.  We have run it at 150A without belt slip issue on a 911 so we advertise as such.   The main benefit though is the idle output which is around 75A, more than double that of any standard air cooled alternator.

Thanks Johnny, I should know that really.

Thanks Jonny and Peter.  I am thinking hybrid may be the way forward.  I have been involved with other jobs this week and will get back to the AC next week and start some plans.

I can confirm that Johny’s Classic Retrofit system works fine on my 3.2  Carrera with the standard alternator and a 85 Ah battery. Today was a good test as stationary in a traffic jam in 31C ambient temperature for 20 min near Lake Garda in Italy. The a/c kept us nice and cool.

That's good info - out of interest did you have to remove the front fog light to allow fitting?

4 hours ago, Carrera-Al said:

I can confirm that Johny’s Classic Retrofit system works fine on my 3.2  Carrera with the standard alternator and a 85 Ah battery. Today was a good test as stationary in a traffic jam in 31C ambient temperature for 20 min near Lake Garda in Italy. The a/c kept us nice and cool.

Thanks for the running report Al.  I saw on FB you were in snow yesterday and now sun baked!   Enjoy the rest of the road trip. 

2 hours ago, Roy M said:

That's good info - out of interest did you have to remove the front fog light to allow fitting?

I happen to know that Al swapped to plain valence.   Gina sold it to him as ‘Clubsport look’.  

I wish we could find a solution to the fog light clash but custom AC rads are very expensive to tool and make.

39 minutes ago, Jonny Hart said:

I happen to know that Al swapped to plain valence.   Gina sold it to him as ‘Clubsport look’.  

I thought that was the case but wasn't sure - so just need a Boxster washer bottle and a plain valance ( plus of course your kit and probably the 'Pelican' vents). As you can tell I'm a master of procrastination!

Yes correct I had a valance from a SC put on. It saved a bit of weight as did the smaller washer bottle for which the concentrate washer fluid bottle was repurposed as the main windscreen washer supply. So far I haven’t needed to refill it in 2 years as car not used in winter.