Where is this oil coming from?

Phill

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get it up to Neil and Anthony at Discount 9 in Cardiff, full rebuild will be under £5K, that dodgy black SC you saw at my place went there earlier in the year, they did a great job.

Mine has leaks like that, I suspect the same

Ex-IB’er Andy B spoke highly of Nine excellence, used them for IB and 968 work IIRC.

Aside from Matt Skeete in Ottershaw, I’m recently aware of Max500 Ltd in Guildford.  Johnny H used Octane garage in West Sussex,  there is also Precision Porsche south of the M25 somewhere.

Yep, good call Matt, 9 excellence not so excellent with their starter for 10 - £11k :blink:

Had a chat with Anthony at D9 - very pleasant on the phone and it does seem like a good deal.................

42 minutes ago, Phill said:

Yep, good call Matt, 9 excellence not so excellent with their starter for 10 - £11k :blink:

Had a chat with Anthony at D9 - very pleasant on the phone and it does seem like a good deal.................

Were they comparable quotes?

Companies will often quote worst cases, as the WYAITs Mount up

4 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

Phil, mate DIY the rebuild you have the skillz!

I would love to and I've been wracking my brain to try and make it work. Problem is my garage is not big enough to house the car and the engine separately and work on it. My driveway is steep and the car needs to be powered to get it in and out of the garage. I have considered renting a space, taking the engine out there and bringing it home to work on. The space costs money as will transporting the engine to and fro, although admittedly not that much. This is what I would have done in four years when I retire and time would be no issue but at the moment it doesn't work logistically. It's very frustrating.

3 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Were they comparable quotes?

Companies will often quote worst cases, as the WYAITs Mount up

It may have been the worst case scenario price but the guy didn't even say that. He indicated that was the price for the basics. Sounded like he wasn't really interested. He wanted me to take it for an assessment?!?

Which studs were snapped? All the same ones?

Until you saw them you were enjoying using the car right? How long since the headstuds were checked? Have they been like that for ever?

I'd vote for putting it back together and play the long game on the rebuild. Until you get to the nitty gritty of the actual cost of the parts and machining needed then you are basing you decision on other peoples opinion which can sometimes lead to many headaches and (crazy) budget creep.

Once you draw up a full list of what parts may be needed for a rebuild I think you may prefer to crack it open yourself and enjoy the journey of discovery and doing things just how you want them.

4 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Until you saw them you were enjoying using the car right? How long since the headstuds were checked? Have they been like that for ever?

I'd vote for putting it back together and play the long game on the rebuild. Until you get to the nitty gritty of the actual cost of the parts and machining needed then you are basing you decision on other peoples opinion which can sometimes lead to many headaches and (crazy) budget creep.

Once you draw up a full list of what parts may be needed for a rebuild I think you may prefer to crack it open yourself and enjoy the journey of discovery and doing things just how you want them.

One or two is ok for short term but 3 on one side - and made the assumption that they are all lower studs - is not great and can cause problems with the barrel / case.

6 minutes ago, jevvy said:

I'd vote for putting it back together and play the long game on the rebuild. 

3 studs on the left lower side, one for each cylinder. Jev, you are right and as Matt and I discussed yesterday, how many people are driving around with snapped head studs?

It's back together but the question is, will driving it make it worse and how much worse? Is it possible that cylinders and pistons will become damaged increasing the cost significantly in the future?

2 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

One or two is ok for short term but 3 on one side - and made the assumption that they are all lower studs - is not great and can cause problems with the barrel / case.

You answered my question as I posted it.

I decided not to look at the other side but there is a bit of oil coming from the same location has the other side. Not as much but it would indicate the same problem.

26 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

100% agree.

@Phill what does the snapped end of the bits you removed look like? Clean / fresh breaks? Rusty and minging?

Cost of parts (WYAIT creep aside) isn't that crazy but it's the labour that bumps up the price. It doesn't take many hours @ £60/hour+ plus the VAT to add up. We are drawing towards the end of the driving season for many of us, so perhaps drive it for a month then you have all winter to remove the engine with car half in/out of garage, roll the now lighter car forward onto the drive and cover it up with a proper cover while you rebuild the engine inside. Better still, tow the car to somewhere safe and indoors, rent a lockup?

Top end rebuild is time consuming but not THAT hard. Invest in some tools and have fun with it. 

'Mission creep' is inevitable but stick to a budget. My 2p.

Chris

2 minutes ago, sopor said:

Another place to check with is RSR in Droxford - Dave likes doing engines.

I spoke to Russell (used to own RSR and still works with them) yesterday. His price was surprisingly competitive. I trust Russell completely, there is nothing he doesn't know about these engines. I will speak to him again tomorrow.