Legal tread, or not?

SilverWT

Difficult, a friendly bobby might be happy and show some discretion but a difficult insurance adjuster might be less accommodating. That was one of the things I liked least about the V70's, tread depth when worn was very much open to interpretation as they wore and felt illegal to use when still actually having some measurable tread depth.

My avatar pic is a V70 after driving home from a trackday, felt I pushed my luck a bit too far with that one :)

Tyre on left of pic looks just about OK, tyre on righ no good IMHO ....  

I'll be travelling to Cadwell on Tuesday with same V70s on rear of my car in very slightly better condition to tyre on left of your pic. 

Biggest problem I find with V70s on rear of may car is that rubber rolls over grooves even when considerable depth of tread left.

The legal limit for minimum depth of the tread on car tyres is 1.6 millimetres, across the central ¾ of the tread around the complete circumference of the tyre. I would interpret this as the main grooves and not the little side grooves as they are not as deep as the main grooves in the first place. I would say that in the close up picture above it is legal.

However, if you, of all people, are asking (clearly having some doubts) then I would err on the side of don't drive on it.

4 hours ago, Phill said:

I would say that in the close up picture above it is legal.

That was my interpretation.

4 hours ago, Phill said:

However, if you, of all people, are asking (clearly having some doubts) then I would err on the side of don't drive on it.

The problem is it is such a pain to pack the track wheels into the car and change the wheels over at the track.

No problem going through all this if a track is a bit of a distance, but if its just down the road it seems unnecessary if they are technically legal.

Mark

12 minutes ago, JamieB911 said:

Any standing water could cause big trouble & just not worth it

True, but you would be in just as much trouble when the V70s were new in standing water. Most track tyres are crap at road generated temperatures even in mildly damp conditions.

Mark