Busybee

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, SP72 said:

The only thing that would put me off a 996 is the 997, and from what I’ve read at least, the step up in interior build quality.

Contemplated the same recently

Compared to our cars both are a major step up.

The 997 is a much nicer place to be and perhaps build quality is better, but from all the 996/997 I've driven and been in, it won't be a deciding factor for me.

The Porsche factory drivers we meet at the Ring say they prefer choice of weapon are either a 996.2 GT3 or 997.1 GT3, and that's good enough for me. 

Never driven a GT car. Like you Chris, have heard they retain their rawness and are a hoot to drive. 

Think the 996 GT3’s are a pretty solid investment really. Both the early 355hp and the later 381hp cars. They seem to be holding or increasing value slightly in an otherwise unsteady market. 

Few nice ones about. 

They still have the Mezger engine which is normally bulletproof, but when buying need to check all the rev ranges.

I have known of a fuel pump to go on a 996 GT3 (a mates whilst at Le Mans) and the water coolant pipes that go into the engine are glued in and have been known to leak - effects 996 Turbos as well.

Permanent fix is to have then welded in, two pipes can be done with the engine in situ, the other two are a engine out job.

Not a major concern , but if they blow,  they can dump lots of water under the rear wheel and cause a !spin

The beginning of this video explains the issue, not sure I'd go for their fix.

2 minutes ago, Wingnonut said:

One didn’t sell at Historics sale yesterday. There a lovely Midnight Blue Gen2 on Pistonheads you’ve got me looking at now 😊

When funds are free a 996 or 997 GT3 is my next purchase...........anyone lend me £70k:ninja:

I have been watching 996 Mk1 GT3’s for about 18 months as I also have a hankering for one, there are quite a few around the £60k - £70k mark that haven’t moved in the last 6-9 months, including some very low milers, ( sub 30k ) I did watch one drop £10k in 6 months before it sold, but recently there are a few mid milers ( 50k - 70k ) around the £50k mark, I  think the same is happening to GT3 prices as is happening to IBs at the moment

997 for me......funnily enough was looking at gen 2's yesterday,when the time comes thats what I’ll be looking at,was up your neck of the woods early doors Saturday, before the traffic built up ,got some new boots fitted had to run em in lol 

Other than the Metzger lump (that I love) is a 996gt3 really worth double the cost of a Cayman R? Considering its looks and agility too. I used to always think i'd want a gt3 but not so sure anymore.

Specs :-

CR  = 335bhp, 370Nm torque, 1320kg weight, 0-60 of 4.9 pdk or 5.0 manual. (176mph top end).

GT3 Mk1 = 380bhp, 385Nm torque, 1360kg weight, 0-60 of 5.3 

I'd always struggle with the fried egg headlight front, prefer a 997 personally. But always had a soft spot for that lumpy mechanical Metzger engine (which is why I like Ducatis :) )

4 minutes ago, Phill said:

OK, school me, what's special about this Mezger engine?

It doesn't go wrong like the others do.

Based on Moby Dick I think.

Edited by Dr Rock

I didn’t know the 996.1 GT3 was heavier than the C2 - guessing this was against a base spec C2.

I think my power-weight would be better than the 996 GT3:

“The 996 GT3 saw no weight reduction over the standard Carrera: despite the loss of its rear seats, it tipped the scales at around 30 kilograms more. There was no thin glass, soundproofing, pull strap doors, alloy or carbon panels here; instead, the GT3 came with luxuries like air conditioning and electric windows.

The GT3’s additional performance was derived not from weight loss, but from more power. A useful 60bhp was added to the 911’s output, the 360bhp arriving from the GT3’s 3.6-litre dry-sumped flat six at a heady 7,200rpm and peak torque of 273lb/ft at 5,000rpm.”

It's not just about the numbers, but the driving feel and feedback from behind the wheel.

Yes on paper a 997.2 S is quicker that a 996 GT3, but on a track and in terms of smiles per mile IMHO the 996 wins.

Now a Cayman R with a few mods can be taken to around 360-370 BHP,  it has greater agility (mid engine and all that), provides all feel/feedback so is a very good contender.

Musings from Evo on the 997 GT3 - similar figures for 996 and 997, although the latter recorded higher than factory figures on the WRC dyno:

The numbers are impressive: 60mph comes up in 4.3sec and 100 in just 9.4sec. However, Porsche’s metric claims are 0-100kph (62mph) in 4.3 and 160kph (100mph) in just 8.7sec, so we’re more than a few tenths adrift of the latter. It also means that the 996 GT3 we tested back in issue 060 isn’t put into the shade – it recorded the same 0-60 time and hit 100 two tenths quicker at 9.2sec. Both models nail the quarter mile in 12.5sec.

Intriguingly, although the gear ratios of the new car are said to be shorter than the 996’s, it seems that the engine’s extended rev-range gives it almost the same reach in every gear. Both GT3s hit the same increments and return virtually the same in-gear figures. And excellent figures they are too: in second gear, 40-60 and 50-70 take less than two seconds, which, not to get too technical, is the rate at which your average passenger will either wet themselves or swear out loud, laugh and ask if you can do it again. Third gear especially shows how the mid-range muscle is created and sustained with exhaust valve, intake tract and VarioCam shifts, all the way through to 8000rpm.

Think that about sums it up really. The 996 GT is a seat of your pants, hair on fire type of car. I hope. It’s not meant to be too civilised or to flatter the driver. Other stuff whilst faster has lots of tech to make you drive better. We all drive old porkers cause we like the former I guess. 

your average passenger will either wet themselves or swear out loud, laugh and ask if you can do it again