New / old Blaupunkt Bremen w DAB - proper retro!

ajd

Been documented before, originally was due to hit the shelves in May, but high demand and production delayed has pushed it back to November, don’t be surprised if it slips again 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, checked now. up to 2008 , it was owned by Bosch. 

Since 2011 however, the entire lineup is Chinese sourced. no thanks.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, Busybee said:

Are any electronics made outside of China or Japan these days? 

The majority of consumer electronics assembly is carried out in low cost countries: China, Thailand, Vietnam, Slovakia, etc because a combination of us as consumers driving manufacturers down on price through our behaviours to buy on price, and our unwillingness to ask the hard questions about what this means for the long term sustainability of the planet.

11 minutes ago, njpcarrera32 said:

The majority of consumer electronics assembly is carried out in low cost countries: China, Thailand, Vietnam, Slovakia, etc because a combination of us as consumers driving manufacturers down on price through our behaviours to buy on price, and our unwillingness to ask the hard questions about what this means for the long term sustainability of the planet.

That and corporate greed an inequality. Apple make their phones in China. Where they have suicide nets around housing blocks the workers live in. Yet they charge over a grand for their phones that probably cost £50 to make. If that. Where's the sense in that long term. 

1 minute ago, Busybee said:

That and corporate greed an inequality. Apple make their phones in China. Where they have suicide nets around housing blocks the workers live in. Yet they charge over a grand for their phones that probably cost £50 to make. If that. Where's the sense in that long term. 

Apple don't make their phones, it's all contracted out to Foxconn, who also make pretty much everything that is branded Amazon or Google (think virtual assistants),  and most other consumer electronics giant, they also own a number of brands such as  Sharp, Belkin. The size of Foxconn is scary huge, with sales revenue measured in the trillions of dollars, but really small operating margins (single % gross margin), and they are driven to deliver cost reductions of 3-4% a quarter to their customers. 

2 minutes ago, njpcarrera32 said:

Apple don't make their phones, it's all contracted out to Foxconn, who also make pretty much everything that is branded Amazon or Google (think virtual assistants),  and most other consumer electronics giant, they also own a number of brands such as  Sharp, Belkin. The size of Foxconn is scary huge, with sales revenue measured in the trillions of dollars, but really small operating margins (single % gross margin), and they are driven to deliver cost reductions of 3-4% a quarter to their customers. 

*get their phones made in China

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well day one stay at home and away from people meant I had time to self isolate in the garage and fit this unit.

So far reception and sound quality on Dab & FM channels has been very good. Will field test it with a longer drive this evening and then report.

One thing I forgot to mention was its length. As its doesn't need to cater for a CD, the unit is between 3 to 4 cm shorter, so lots of room to tidy up and hide cables behind it.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry cars been locked away, but when I was out and about it performed well, the DAB did drop out a few times but nothing more than the old unit use to. Sound is good, but I'm playing through a JBL set up

I have my aerial on the passengers side rear side window, placing it on the front screen may help.

Setting it up can be time consuming, (PITA) typically the instructions need a little interpretation and play before they become clear, but its important to get it set up correctly otherwise it can compromise reception, tuning etc. 

From what I read of the Interweb, most  of those that have fitted it say ts good.- it does look in character with the car.