Impact Bumpers
Sidewaysfun

Audi TT Track Car

There are a few on eBay for less than 2k.

3 minutes ago, Phill said:

There are a few on eBay for less than 2k.

and they will be dreadful , and slow ..and parts will have the P tax¬†ūüėϬ† I miss the days of ¬£15k IB's , cheap water pumpers and inexpensive spares..¬†

330's are silly cheap:

£1200: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-330i-rare-manual-Mini-M3-Ideal-track-drift-race-car-FSH-HPI-clear/202778848738?hash=item2f368fade2:g:EkgAAOSwejNdfUM7

£1500: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-330Ci-Manual-Coupe-E46-3-0-Petrol-Silver-3-Series-2000-X-330-330i/233355791719?hash=item365516cd67:g:mgkAAOSwvF9dkfJi

£2000: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-330i-manual-petrol-2002-Ci-Clubsport-Coupe-Blue-modern-future-classic-leathe/193125653785?hash=item2cf72f9d19:g:yywAAOSwLX5djRn9

Strip it out & sell the heavy bits like full interior then it gets even cheaper or buys you R rubber or bucket seats & harnesses etc. Got to be the best bang per buck RWD track rat.

I used to run one of these on the road and it was ok if a bit soggy. It was the only car I have had to abandon in the snow but overall I did quite enjoy owning it.

That 2k CS looks good value if bodywork checks out

Kinda rare too iirc

On 10/2/2019 at 9:01 AM, Richard Bernau said:

There is nothing wrong with that, but be honest about it, then go have fun.  You will break down.  You will spend a lot more on it than expected.  You will probably have a great time with your mate.  It will be worth nothing when you are finished.

This is pretty much what we are looking at.  The budget was for the initial car purchase and actually we it is now looking like £1.5k is enough, which leaves a bit of money for some refresh items.  We're totally expecting to have to put more money in to it, but only as and when it is required (even then, it will be on the cheap)

Thanks for all the replies gents.  We have considered pretty much all the options that you've suggested plus more, early Boxsters, BMW Z4, MGTF to name a few.  Autotrader and a whiteboard was helpful over a weekend :)

Really want to rule out FWD, this is a personal choice.  I've been out in Clio 182/Mi16 205s on track and know they are extremely fast cars.  Mate also had an EP3, again great car and the engine now resides in his S1 Elise.

BMW 3 series is a very strong contender, but would be nice to have something different as my mates daily is an E46 M3.  3 series part prices are not the cheapest...

We keep coming back to a TT though.  Car for under £1500, cheap parts and a reliable engine.  Sounds like the FWD tenancies can be fixed quite cheaply also, which was initially putting me off.

I am going on my late summer hols this weekend, so will be re-visiting ideas when I get back.

One thing I have taken from this is the increase of car sales over Facebook!!  :o

Cheers, Paul

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sidewaysfun said:

Sounds like the FWD tenancies can be fixed quite cheaply

Huh?  Did you read something other than what VT posted on modding TTs?

Whatever you do, start a thread.  I will grab an armchair and follow with interest :) 

Edited by Richard Bernau

49 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Huh?  Did you read something other than what VT posted on modding TTs?

Whatever you do, start a thread.  I will grab an armchair and follow with interest :) 

And I will clear my inbox ready for the influx of PM‚Äôs. ūüėČ

VT

I agreed with Jevvy on the Clio point if you are ok with FWD, very good handling car for the money and £2K will get you something usable, set of decent tyres and front pads and you are away.  I had a 172 cup and 200 cup had a lot of trackday fun and learnt a lot.

MX5 was short listed when we were looking.  Pros are that they're fun on track, cheap to buy, cheap parts, con is they are a bit slow.  Well my one was anyway, but it was they lazy UK mk1 1.8.. perhaps the vvt mk2 would be a bit better...

Could still be an option though :)