Oil cooler leak

Ian Comerford

I have a small leak coming from the oil cooler on the engine.  I can’t tell whether it is the cooler itself or the seals between the cooler and the engine.  Any thoughts on the best thing to do, is it worth changing the seals to see if this is the issue?

Thank you

Ian

10 hours ago, mean in green said:

You’ve got to take it off to replace the seals so may as well pressure test it. It’s not hard to remove the engine cooler but it is messy enough not to want to do it again if new seals don’t cure it.

Good point, thank you

7 minutes ago, Nige said:

Are 100% sure it's the cooler and not the pressure switch above.  I've just replaced the switch on mine after an oil leak which did initially look like a cooler leak.

Not 100%, no Nige.  I cleaned off the underside and it looked like an accumulation of muck and oil over the last two years and 13k miles, not bad at all and a weep more than a leak.  The cooler is damp with a small amount of oil in the fins.  I will check, thanks for the advice

3 hours ago, Nige said:

Pull the dust cover/boot off the pressure switch, if its wet with oil then its leaking.

Thanks Nige, hadn’t considered this but went for a look.  I’m not sure mine has a rubber boot as I think recall changing it many moons ago after losing oil pressure, which caused a bit of a flap initially, and don’t remember a boot.  The 3.2 one may be different.  Anyway, stuck my hand around the front of the engine, behind the CIS, and found oil.  Possibly bingo.  Does anyone have a picture of this area so that I can understand what I am feeling, it’s one of those gynaecologist areas!

Thank you

Ian

This should get you started, love the title!

Porsche+Oil+Leaks1321641734.jpg

You should do an image search and click through a load of the images from different angles to orientate yourself.

Torch and a mirror might give you a decent view too.

Just tried getting some photos of the offending area and it’s not easy to see what is leaking.  I can feel oil around the switch but don’t know if it’s coming from the switch.

2 minutes ago, jevvy said:

This should get you started, love the title!

Porsche+Oil+Leaks1321641734.jpg

You should do an image search and click through a load of the images from different angles to orientate yourself.

Torch and a mirror might give you a decent view too.

That’s spot on, thank you.  I’ll continue trying to get a picture but the gynaecology comment was for a good reason.....

Thanks Ivan, I think that d the same as the one I posted earlier.  The bottom of the oil cooler was damp so I wonder how oil from the triangle of death could have got there?  However, there is some oil on the top as per my earlier post. I think I’m going to remove some things and see if I can get a better look at the top and deal with any issues there first.  Then drive it and see if the seep/weep is still there.  I don’t discount the possibility of having two 'leaks'.