Impact Bumpers
damianpf

Ignition switch problems

Hello

I’m having some trouble with the ignition switch on my 1981 911 - intermittently fails to engage the engine start position when you turn it to the right, but usually works after a few tries.

I’m trying to understand best approach to resolve this. There are two parts available - the full assembly including barrel, steering lock, electrical bits (part number 96434791701), or just the electrical part of the switch (part number 96461301200).

It’s tempting to replace the full assembly - but it’s a very expensive part, and going that route means ending up with mismatched ignition and door keys. So I’m wondering if just replacing the electrical part might resolve the issue?

Does anyone know which part of the assembly governs the different stages of the ignition key turn - I.e. the barrel part or the electrical switch part?

Alternatively does anyone know of some who might be able, to rebuild the original assembly for me?

Thanks!

Just change the switch

If you take the electrical part off the back you can turn it without the key (sorry but it's been a long time - I think it's a square hole) which will show which part has failed. Mist likely the switch 

Sorry Matt - same time posting

Edited by Roy M

Thanks guys - just to confirm, will the later switch (964 part number) fit the 1981 SC key assembly??

thanks

Damian

Yes, there is only one switch now

Just to add, you can change the switch section 'in situ' without removing the whole assembly. I mention this as a couple of popular DIY Porsche repair publications state that the whole lot needs to be removed.

Cheers

FF

1 hour ago, fat fuchs said:

Just to add, you can change the switch section 'in situ' without removing the whole assembly. I mention this as a couple of popular DIY Porsche repair publications state that the whole lot needs to be removed.

Cheers

FF

I have seen it on LHD cars but is it possible on RHD?

I did mine earlier in the year and it looked very tight - just easier to drill the bolts and remove the whole lock assembly.

Just now, Leicestershire said:

I have seen it on LHD cars but is it possible on RHD?

I did mine earlier in the year and it looked very tight - just easier to drill the bolts and remove the whole lock assembly.

Yes I've done a few on RHD cars. Two screws and it's out...10 mins to swap them. Much easier than drilling bolts out?

Cheers

FF

I tried with a mirror and small screwdriver but couldn't get in a good position to do the job. Even with the switch on the bench, the screws were a bit stubborn.

The lock bolts are easy with a slot drill but probably around 45 min for whole the job and I obviously had to buy 2 new security bolts so way behind your 10 mins!

1 hour ago, Leicestershire said:

I tried with a mirror and small screwdriver but couldn't get in a good position to do the job. Even with the switch on the bench, the screws were a bit stubborn.

The lock bolts are easy with a slot drill but probably around 45 min for whole the job and I obviously had to buy 2 new security bolts so way behind your 10 mins!

Yeah you need to sit kinda upside down with your head in the footwell and your calves on the seat base. Whichever way gets the job done eh, there's no right or wrong on these flippin cars lol