I see the future

Busybee

5 hours ago, Fuchs915 said:

I am not sure EV will win out.  I think fuel cells are the way to go, but what do I know.  

If you think EVs are limited by charge points, fuel cells have virtually no infrastructure to support them. I doubt very much they will win, at least in America. Here EVs are the hot ticket, and I see more in use every day. In California they're almost ubiquitous. You have a point on the rare earths, not sure if solid state batteries will help or hurt here (which seems to be the next gen).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 786 said:

If you think EVs are limited by charge points, fuel cells have virtually no infrastructure to support them. I doubt very much they will win, at least in America. Here EVs are the hot ticket, and I see more in use every day. In California they're almost ubiquitous. You have a point on the rare earths, not sure if solid state batteries will help or hurt here (which seems to be the next gen).

Maybe it won’t take much to put a hydrogen infrastructure in place. Same as petrol stations I’m guessing. Plus renewable energy can be used to harvest hydrogen from air or water - but that’s a big leap as I’m no chemist. The problem with Honda and the clarity is it’s just not sexy enough. If they made it a two door sports car that pumped out 500hp, more people would take notice. Typically Honda, that looks like a Prius! 

putting infrastructure in place is big money. without demand its not happening, and no demand for it in the US.

i was under the impression hydrogen cars would always be slow/not make much power and their tanks can possibly explode (!) if in an accident? maybe that was hearsay :) seems to me EVs are here to stay. the carmakers are all-in as well, big money being spent right now and dozens of new models forthcoming.

My only question is why? Why EV? What does it offer that is better then Petrol?

Does it save the environment? Yes, but does it? 13kn/h per household/per day in the UK is the average energy usage. Put a 40kw/h BMW I3 in your drive and only charge it once every 4 days and you still double your energy output. Where does our energy come from? Some Scandinavian countries might be 100% renewable, but not the UK/US or China. Plus, if everyone doubles their demand.....even Scandinavia will blackout. We wont be able to build coal fired power stations fast enough.

Is it cheap? Yes but is it? To fill up is about £2. That is until people take up EV on a large scale. The government realises they are not getting excise tax from fossil fuels anymore and so simply switch to high consuming electric appliances. Consumer loses.

Range: Discussed above

Power: Headline numbers are nothing without soul or fun. They are just like getting on a rollercoaster. Fun for 5 minutes.

I'll be keeping my 35 year old 911. Better for the environment, better for my wallet, better range, more fun to drive.

12 hours ago, 786 said:

putting infrastructure in place is big money. without demand its not happening, and no demand for it in the US.

i was under the impression hydrogen cars would always be slow/not make much power and their tanks can possibly explode (!) if in an accident? maybe that was hearsay :) seems to me EVs are here to stay. the carmakers are all-in as well, big money being spent right now and dozens of new models forthcoming.

What I mean is that the petrol stations are already there and plentiful. Adding gas tanks for hydrogen can’t be that hard. 

Yes hydrogen tanks are probably dangerous. But not more so than petrol or ev. Have you seen ev cars catch fire. It’s an inferno they can’t put out easily. 

I think the clarity is a hybrid from what I remember. It uses the hydrogen to generate electricity that turns an ev motor. So the performance could be equal I’m guessing. 

23 minutes ago, jamesmckenzie said:

My only question is why? Why EV? What does it offer that is better then Petrol?

Does it save the environment? Yes, but does it? 13kn/h per household/per day in the UK is the average energy usage. Put a 40kw/h BMW I3 in your drive and only charge it once every 4 days and you still double your energy output. Where does our energy come from? Some Scandinavian countries might be 100% renewable, but not the UK/US or China. Plus, if everyone doubles their demand.....even Scandinavia will blackout. We wont be able to build coal fired power stations fast enough.

Is it cheap? Yes but is it? To fill up is about £2. That is until people take up EV on a large scale. The government realises they are not getting excise tax from fossil fuels anymore and so simply switch to high consuming electric appliances. Consumer loses.

Range: Discussed above

Power: Headline numbers are nothing without soul or fun. They are just like getting on a rollercoaster. Fun for 5 minutes.

I'll be keeping my 35 year old 911. Better for the environment, better for my wallet, better range, more fun to drive.

All that presupposes that we don’t need to do anything enmass. Something has to be done about a billion cars running round consuming petrol and diesel. If for no other reason than to preserve the finite resource for us oldie drivers. 

Electricity generation is currently mostly fossil. Think that was mentioned before on another thread. But more renewables can be implemented. Just need a financial incentive to do it. Wave, wind, tide, solar, geothermal, hydro in general. I’m sure we’d all have a field full of solar panels if it was worth our while. 

I think if we could stay as we are and not worry about the environment, great. Sadly, we can’t. Just ask Greta 

Edited by Busybee

26 minutes ago, Busybee said:

What I mean is that the petrol stations are already there and plentiful. Adding gas tanks for hydrogen can’t be that hard. 

Yes hydrogen tanks are probably dangerous. But not more so than petrol or ev. Have you seen ev cars catch fire. It’s an inferno they can’t put out easily. 

I think the clarity is a hybrid from what I remember. It uses the hydrogen to generate electricity that turns an ev motor. So the performance could be equal I’m guessing. 

All that presupposes that we don’t need to do anything enmass. Something has to be done about a billion cars running round consuming petrol and diesel. If for no other reason than to preserve the finite resource for us oldie drivers. 

Electricity generation is currently mostly fossil. Think that was mentioned before on another thread. But more renewables can be implemented. Just need a financial incentive to do it. Wave, wind, tide, solar, geothermal, hydro in general. I’m sure we’d all have a field full of solar panels if it was worth our while. 

I think if we could stay as we are and not worry about the environment, great. Sadly, we can’t. Just ask Greta 

I agree we all need to do our bit to look after our own backyard, but I think electricity production to replace fossil fuels is not it. We all are drunk on the amount of energy we use. Keeping the same conveniences we enjoy but simply changing the energy source wont work. There is nothing that can replace crude oil for its energy density.

All dates predicted by all folk on both issues (man made climate change and peak oil) have passed and will continue to pass. Perpetual outrage on the topic is only getting people wound up for no reason. The fact the media only portray one side of the argument (and don't talk about nuclear) simply fuels cynicism on my part. Electric cars wont alleviate fossil fuel dependency. You might have a chance of replacing some of the existing grid with renewables but as described before - everybody's personal energy consumption will at least double with an electric car - A increased fossil fuel grid probably won't even meet this need.

It's firstly a money making venture (tax payer dollars fund these projects with Tesla/Dyson/Porsche + vehicle sales revenue) and a control technique. Understanding who is filling up, when and where is useful data...

Who's Greta? ;)

I drove a BMW I3 and like it, was more fun than I was expecting too but I believe I'm being greener driving my old diesel 4x4 into the ground for another 10yrs instead of buying 2 or 3 new EV's over the same time span

I'm very sceptical about the green message that car manufacturers and governments send out, EV cars are not green if you consider their whole life cycle from digging the resources out of the ground to recycling the last part. It's more about keeping the motor industry going and 'being seen to be green'

Repair, reuse, recycle is the future not EV's which will have a life span of a domestic appliance

9 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Repair, reuse, recycle is the future not EV's which will have a life span of a domestic appliance

I've thought this for a long time, you should see the repairs on my underpants :)

4 minutes ago, jevvy said:

I've thought this for a long time, you should see the repairs on my underpants :)

you can get 4 'fresh' days out a pair of pants between washing them :ani_nerd:

Edited by World Citizen

12 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I drove a BMW I3 and like it, was more fun than I was expecting too but I believe I'm being greener driving my old diesel 4x4 into the ground for another 10yrs instead of buying 2 or 3 new EV's over the same time span

I'm very sceptical about the green message that car manufacturers and governments send out, EV cars are not green if you consider their whole life cycle from digging the resources out of the ground to recycling the last part. It's more about keeping the motor industry going and 'being seen to be green'

I agree on the reuse, recycle thing. Thing is, goes against human nature. Most people want the newest, fastest, most tech, most button pushing thing out there. Only way this would ever work is if it became financially viable for people to hold onto their cars - even then I'm not so sure. 

Am I starting to sound like Greta? F me! I'm taking Daisy out for a good flipping blast later to soak up some fumes and get my head straight! 

1 minute ago, Busybee said:

I agree on the reuse, recycle thing. Thing is, goes against human nature. Most people want the newest, fastest, most tech, most button pushing thing out there. Only way this would ever work is if it became financially viable for people to hold onto their cars - even then I'm not so sure. 

Agree, also don't think it will work because people are too hung up on what other people think about what they are seen driving in :unsure:

The older I get the less materialistic I'm becoming or maybe I'm just being tighter :lol:

32 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

you can get 4 'fresh' days out a pair of pants between washing them :ani_nerd:

I get 4 days before even starting the rotation process, easier to do with a g-string but manageable with boxers if you can tolerate a bit of discomfort :D

33 minutes ago, jevvy said:

I get 4 days before even starting the rotation process, easier to do with a g-string but manageable with boxers if you can tolerate a bit of discomfort :D

Jeezuz - the mental images.

BTW (and unrelated), remind me why you are not coming on the Alps trip next year ;) 

Back on topic, trying to picture the future not the inside of Jev's trolley's

It’s not Jev’s pants that worry me or EV’s but autonomous EV’s or autonomous anything that moves and could kill me if it suffered a glitch :blink:

A friend of mine spends her working day locked away in a secure facility designing artificial neuron networks (brains to you and me) for the US Navy. Her work is used to develop schools of underwater drones that control themselves and self-learn from each other while they do whatever it is they do

Finding out that stuff is already today and not tomorrow scared me so much I won’t swim in the sea without wearing my tin foil speedo’s :unsure:

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

BB do you sell one that smells of Castrol R or a BBQ would like on for my man cave :cool:

If you don't I'll PM my details so you can send me the royalties from future sales

Lo I'll have a look in my development stash of scents WC. Not a scent often asked for funnily enough. what I can do is get a sleeve made up with your car printed on it. Here' are a few Halloween ideas we've been playing with :) 

Halloween Cat Wrap.jpg

Halloween Wrap Pumpkin.jpg

😂

Getting somewhat back on topic... while EVs and their required infrastructure are still immature and have flaws one thing greater take up will succeed at is reducing harmful emissions in city centres. IMHO something has to be done and EVs are the most viable solution on the horizon at the moment. The longer they are "unchallenged" by other technologies the more established//entrenched they will become and the harder it will be for them to be disrupted by something new.

EVs present one problem for manufacturers/dealers - due to far fewer moving parts maintenance and repair revenue will take a massive hit. That will have its own side effects over time.

• 8 months later...
25 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Guessing you mean me Roy? Nope, sorry. No had a chance to follow the Castrol R idea through. How about a nice Cognac and Cubans (mancave scent) Magik Candle? A pretty cool addition to an office. You need a base for the first one too 😜 https://www.busybeecandles.co.uk/product/cognac-cubans-magik-candle/

Sorry Haith - auto correct loses again!

Thanks - will have a look.

• Like 1