Impact Bumpers
Merv

G50 Tranmission mounts

I thought about that Nige.  Both securing bolts seem very tight.  I could trim the inner metal sleeve but I suspect that would be cheating.

Posted (edited)

Well, I pulled the tranny mount off today and the bushings are rubber and don't seem in bad shape. That does not, however, confirm that they are sufficiently 'fat' in profile.  Looking at them I am not sure if they are original or not (car has done 150kms/90Kmiles).  They appear to be inserts? Possibly "CFM"  if I read the letters on the enlarged second image correctly (https://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/Mounts-Bushings-c557.htm).

Any ideas?

IMG_20191006_143355.jpg

IMG_20191006_143431.jpg

Edited by Merv

On 10/5/2019 at 7:42 AM, sopor said:

I think these can only be used as engine mounts on G50 cars?

No, they can be used as gearbox mounts, I have had them on mine for over 5 years with no issues, as can many on Pelican.

Not as harsh as poly blue, but slightly harsher than the originals. 

On 10/5/2019 at 9:05 AM, Merv said:

I thought about that Nige.  Both securing bolts seem very tight.  I could trim the inner metal sleeve but I suspect that would be cheating.

Remember these are probably over 30 years old, so they will have deteriorated just just suspension rubbers.

Since the cross member is off, renewing is the best way forward. I’d also consider doing the engine mounts at the same time, I went WEVO mounts.

if they are of one piece construction and wedged in then yes, aftermarket come in two pieces

And I did recall the logo with the triangle is the Porsche one ☝️ 

Thanks everyone.  Great Forum.  Far better than information and support elsewhere! Will update later after I have checked with SuperPro (Australian company) and Rennline and ordered.

There are mixed reviews on here re SuperPros - increased NVH in some cases, none in others. 

Do a search on Superpro in 3.2 or  transmission sections 

On 10/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, SP72 said:

There are mixed reviews on here re SuperPros - increased NVH in some cases, none in others. 

Do a search on Superpro in 3.2 or  transmission sections 

SuperPro are a local company here and offer their bushings for BOTH transmission and engine for around 60 pounds collectively.  Currently fitting a set to see how they go.  They insist that NVH won't be a problem.  I will see!

After speaking with the folk at SuperPro (good to have a knowledgeable local company based in Brisbane!) I went for a set of their bushings designed for the G50.  They assure that NVH is not a problem and provide a lifetime warranty. The kit arrived with appropriate silicone paste and good instructions and there were bushings provided for BOTH front and rear mounts.  I did them all and drilled out the original compressed rubber bushings.  Measurements before and after show the new bushings to be thicker than the exhausted originals and the gap (between the top curved washers and the bushings) that was there before is gone. Easy job really and the bushings fitted perfectly.  The car is no noisier or harsher to my ears and the shifting is much sharper.  So far I am extremely pleased with the result, for around 60 pounds.

1 hour ago, Merv said:

After speaking with the folk at SuperPro (good to have a knowledgeable local company based in Brisbane!) I went for a set of their bushings designed for the G50.  They assure that NVH is not a problem and provide a lifetime warranty. The kit arrived with appropriate silicone paste and good instructions and there were bushings provided for BOTH front and rear mounts.  I did them all and drilled out the original compressed rubber bushings.  Measurements before and after show the new bushings to be thicker than the exhausted originals and the gap (between the top curved washers and the bushings) that was there before is gone. Easy job really and the bushings fitted perfectly.  The car is no noisier or harsher to my ears and the shifting is much sharper.  So far I am extremely pleased with the result, for around 60 pounds.

:signs85:

9 hours ago, Merv said:

Good to hear they’re doing the business for you. Can you post a part number pls?

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder why others have swapped theirs back out. 

Can they be over torqued when refitting?

"Swapped out".  First I have heard of that. "Over torqued?" Set to the stock 80Nm and the inner metal sleeve in the split bushing is the same length as the original. I did use new cup washers as I noticed that the originals had developed a degree of flattening over 30 years.

To an extent it depends on the car that you have.  If you have cranked up suspension hardness, removed any sound insulation, added an aftermarket exhaust system, etc., adding new firmer bushings may tip you over the top in your tolerance for NVH.  I had already adjusted my suspension to a softer/stock setting, have stock anti-roll bars, stock exhaust, etc., so that car was actually quiet anyway.  Adding the SuperPro bushings made a barely detectable difference in in noise, which I actually appreciated. The greater sharpness in gear shifting and better clutch take up is much more noticeable.  

The part number for the G50 is SPF3863K

Edited by Merv

24 minutes ago, Merv said:

I did use new cup washers as I noticed that the originals had developed a degree of flattening over 30 years.

I also found that an incorrect cup washer was used on the top of one of my transmission mounts.  The top ones (tranny' only) should have a different profile and not the single curve of the lower ones.  It has a different part number.

Top Mount .jpg

9 hours ago, Merv said:

"Swapped out".  First I have heard of that. "Over torqued?" Set to the stock 80Nm and the inner metal sleeve in the split bushing is the same length as the original. I did use new cup washers as I noticed that the originals had developed a degree of flattening over 30 years.

To an extent it depends on the car that you have.  If you have cranked up suspension hardness, removed any sound insulation, added an aftermarket exhaust system, etc., adding new firmer bushings may tip you over the top in your tolerance for NVH.  I had already adjusted my suspension to a softer/stock setting, have stock anti-roll bars, stock exhaust, etc., so that car was actually quiet anyway.  Adding the SuperPro bushings made a barely detectable difference in in noise, which I actually appreciated. The greater sharpness in gear shifting and better clutch take up is much more noticeable.  

The part number for the G50 is SPF3863K

That part is complete jibberish on every site its listed on! :signs60:

Thats what I mean, 

"SuperPro Sway Bar Bush Kit for PORSCHE 911 1965-1994 - 911 Coupe 92 01/70-12/72"???

Picture just shows 4 engine mount kits???

What did you get in the set? 

Where there 2 different bushes? ie, 4 of one type and 4 of another?

If you contact them you can get the detailed specifications.  They know their market well.  Then measure your engine mounts bushings and your transmission mount bushings (width, depth).  Suffice to say the split bushings supplied for the transmission member fitted perfectly as did the engine mount bushings. I have fitted many sets of rubber bushings engine and transmission mounts on other 911's and these ones do the job well.

Im sure they do, we have been selling Supro stuff for years and its good gear, just trying to work out what you get in the kit! Where all 8 bushes the same?

I bought the kit for the transmission bushings.  They fitted really well, as described.  Then when I pulled the original engine mounts out to replace them with some OEM ones that I had. I did measurements on the old rubber engine mounts when I removed them from the mount frame - and the dimensions were the same as the SP spares.  So, I trialled the spare set of SuperPros in the old mount frames (figuring same hardness front and rear).  They were the same dimensions and also fitted well. Time will tell on the engine mounts.